How to find free tarp and corage? | Squat the Planet

How to find free tarp and corage?

Tony G

Reaction score
I'm extremely tight on fundz right now, I want to make myself a emergency diy shelter with corage, a tarp and with some trees. Where are some free places that might help assist with getting me these things?
Hmm ok well as far as a tarp those are pretty easy to get look at lumber yards...behind some big box hardware stores homedept lowes etc we used to tarp stuff up behind lowes at least when i worked there.and as far as cordage goes if you have the time and materials you can make your own i do but im native i make 8 ply cordage normally but you can look in the same places i told u there should be some cordage around

Dmac

Reaction score
Most home improvement stores like Minards, Home Depot or Lowe’s, the types with an outside lumber yard, have stands outside the exit of the lumber yard that have free cordage for customers to tie their stuff down with. It’s usually not a very hefty twine, but if you double it up it’ll probably work for you.

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ive had a lot of luck getting waterproofed canvas like synthetic cloth as well as nylon cordage and rope from places that make or manufacture awnings for businesses or sails for boats. There is normally a place like this in large towns and checking out there dumpster can lead to a bunch of new cut off scraps that are a nice size for making bags and what not. They can also have large sections of the old awnings they have torn down in there. You would need to cut them up because they can be truly massive but just one can give you a bunch of waterproof outdoor cloth to work with. Those awnings are also normally made with cordage or rope and they seam to have tons of little cut offs in those dumpsters. I mostly use this stuff to cover my stacks of firewood but it can stay outside for years and years without degrading from UV light. Ive also heard of people using Billboard fabric for things but it tends to come with a bunch of flashy colors and text on it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads