How much money, if any, do you normally travel with?

M

Monkeywrench

I've had two check cards demagnetize on me on the road. So, fuck that. Either they got wet or just rubbed too hard against something else.

Also, I've found there's NO WAY TO EXPLAIN THE WORKINGS OF MONEY with ignorant teenage shitheads who assume since you have a plastic card, you must have limitless vast amounts of cash to spend on their booze. While I was in Chicago, 3 kids saw me pull out a check card (which I had $10 on) and would not stop giving me shit for it. To this day they tell people I have a credit card. It couldn't possibly be more of a different situation. Literally anyone can get one of these cards. Spange up $200 and get an account. It's not fucking magic. Ugh.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I like having a card because when I tell the piece of shit OC homebums to fuck off, I can add on that I only have a card.

Reaction score
Some very valid points here. As a safety precaution I always have enough to buy a ticket to get back to my storage unit. I don't use banks anymore but I do use Walmart prepaid cards and Bluebird American Express. A prepaid card is much easier to keep safe and hidden away and will allow you to withdraw the cash you have if you need it. I live by the rule that cash is king. I never feel secure with less than 500 on me. This will get me to where I am going and if I'm looking for work, will get me basic necessities and perhaps clothing if needed. We all have different goals in mind when we set out to travel. To just travel by way of using your own to feet or your thumb, you really don't need much. Bring food and water to start. There are resources along the way to get free items and food and will help you with a fresh start if that's what you want.

Thanks for the important topic. I would like to see comments from people about what they actually want out of their journey and where they want to go. I think we can come up with more when there are specifics or a goal.

Happy trails everyone!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads