How much money, if any, do you normally travel with?

M

Monkeywrench

Apart from what you make on the road, how much money do you usually begin your travels with?

I've known kids who start their trips with absolutely nada, and kids who spange up a hefty $200 before heading to the yard.

Personally, I like having at least a good $50 of "holy shit, this was a bad idea" money around. In case someone needs medicine, or any sort of emergency item.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Most of the time I head out with anywhere from $0-300. I've done it with as much as $1500 before though. I'll be going to Korea this summer and I intend to have at least a grand.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
when I 1st started traveling over a year ago, I had like 2500, but alot of that was used real quick to buy drugs or festival tickets. latelly I've been headin out with maybe a 200 - 500$, incase I have some time restrictions on where I may need to be. or incase I can't find any food anywhere.

hshh

Reaction score
my first trip i started out with all the money i had which was 800$ and it was gone in 3 weeks and spent on useless shit and to much food. now ill leave with whatever i have or can get. usually around 100

Dmac

Reaction score
whatever i can come up with, usually 3 to 6 hundred.

coldsteelrail

Reaction score
i find that when i start traveling with money, no matter where i am and how cautious i want to be about spending it, the more i have, the quicker it goes. I've been living off of an average of less than a dollar a day to my name for the past three months, but i'm heading out to travel now, and i've got 30 dollars. I would have left with nothing, but i've made some money the last few days. Last summer i traveled for almost two months in mexico with 200 dollars, and came back with 16 bucks. Once I headed out with about 5,000 to travel internationally, and it sure made traveling more comfortable b/c i could sleep in hotels, and i had a safety net. i think it's important to be able to have enough to buy a ticket home. some countries won't let you in unless you can prove you have a certain amount in the bank, and a return ticket, and it's a positive thing to support local economies, especially as a white, priveledged north american. People do not want to believe the concept of a north american not having money, and realistically, north americans (excluding mexico) can get a lot of money pretty damn easy no matter what the circumstance....although the concept of 'a lot' is relative.
I say if you have no money and you want to travel, it's not unrealistic to do so. Don't let it hold you back if you've got none. Money makes life easier and safer, but it's possible to travel (and live) with hardly any money, if you're ok with doing without, and with not always being comfortable.

cricketonthemove

Reaction score
i find that when i start traveling with money, no matter where i am and how cautious i want to be about spending it, the more i have, the quicker it goes.

Same with me. Whether travelling or being stationary, money burns a hole in my pocket when I have it. I've never really think too much about money when I leave because it's still fairly easy in Canada to go to a temp labour agency in the morning and walk out with $80-$100 a day. To awnser your question though, I like to try to have $50-$100 with me just in case.

crustpunk82

Reaction score
i always go broke and manage to raise what ever cash i need for that day, so i dont have money on me for any more then a day. and that moneys usally for booze and rollies, or loosies. as far as food and water i got food stamps for that.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
usually 300-600 bucks. when i was a lot younger i would travel without any money most of the time, but as i get older i find it more comfortable to work for three months in a place im visiting, then travel for three months on the money ive saved. rinse, lather, repeat.

Reactions: mightyb

sickofitall

Reaction score
yeah and i'm gonna roll u up in yo hammock and take out yo trigger fingers so u can't get me with the .223

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Widerstand said:
Seriously people this is like a who to steal from list.

nice to know there's people on here that have good morals!

LarZ

Reaction score
I almost always have around 3 dollars with me. Sometimes more, often less. I'm not exactly sure why 3, but that seems to be the pattern.

When it's time to go, it's time to go; no matter how much change in my pocket. Only thing is, gotta have some bud.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads