How many of you actually travel with SMART phones? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

How many of you actually travel with SMART phones?

Reaction score
its one of the most useful tools to carry, tho never you require i hope, i hate most tech, really hate cell phones, but love finding my way around new places with the ease of my smartphone, just got my first one this winter!!!!!

incognita

Reaction score
I have an iPhone and I love it, even just for music, especially on the trains for sleeping. Not to mention, it's feels really comforting to be catching a ride with a creeper and someone calls you. Just makes me feel like it shows people someone's out there caring about me. I've found it to be a better deterrent than my blade, since I've had a couple of people test me to see if I can and would actually use it.
Not to mention camera, alarm clock, map functions, StP,weather, compass, and a flashlight app (I obviously have back ups but its nice to have all that handy in you pocket). Last but not least- Netflix muthafuckahhhh. It's the most wonderful luxury next to showers and brand spankin new socks.

Reactions: landpirate

jblack89

Reaction score
I'll be traveling with one if i can manage to keep it paid

Any tips on keeping them charged through out the day? Just re up at starbucks and shit? I never been in one of those places so i wouldn't know lol

Evie217

Reaction score
just got iphone4s for a dollar (had an upgrade left on my old account from att)...but got jumped by 3guys comin out of the bar a few days ago. they took that n all my gear and shoes n jacket too. ahh damn just my luck. never have anything nice! id imagine it would be kickass to travel with for the knowledge n entertainment

Mongo

Reaction score
personally I just use a pay as you go tracfone and reup whenever need be, but I just got a tablet and I'm gonna see how using that goes traveling around the northwest the beginning of summer. I need to get a cover for it though. I've been debating ditching it when I head into Mexico this year.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
What kind of tablet do you have?

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Since the iphone 5 came out, ATT is selling the iphone 4 (not 4s) for a buck. This last summer, I was going through the south and droid broke. I walked out with a brand spanking new iphone 4 for $1.08 After tax.

Get it!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm a total android convert now. The iphone just seems bland to me now in comparison.

Reactions: Gudj and p4r4d0x

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I once traveled with a used iPod touch that I could pick up WiFi on. I then spent less timely wandering aimlessly trying to find out where to go for find a place to crash, and more time loitering at a coffee shop, and a bit more money on coffees so as to not get treated like a nuisance.

I don't like cellphones or coltan or traceability or being in constant reach. That doesn't mean I wouldn't find an old used SIM-based phone and fix it with a prepaid deal before traveling for a few months. For now, for here, for home, a landline with a physical voicemail machine I can easily check several times a day is quite sufficient.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Im a hardcore androider. I was traveling through memphis when my x10 broke. Iphone or not, having a phone is really fuckin handy when you need the stp rideboard, craiglist freecycle and rideshare or whatever in a bind.
Also I highly doubt the cia is tracking crusties and hoppers...

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Also, when you're in the mountains, physical maps can get pretty gnarly.
Offline topo maps on your smartphone are nice, when you're lost as Fuck, off-trail :)

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
"Also, when you're in the mountains, physical maps can get pretty gnarly. Offline maps on your smartphone are nice when you're lost of Fuck off-trail."

Hon, the mountains I go up don't get no cell service, let alone 3G or whatever it's called. When you're really out in the woods relying on a battery powered screen to tell you where you're at is pretty silly if you ask me. A true scout uses the brain in their head, not the one in their pocket.

• Sad
Reactions: run998rs

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
I said Offline maps, bro. And I was just saying, they can be handy.
I wasn't asking for a critique on my opinion, or to be "schooled" on how to rough it.
Yuh dun no me! Yuh dunno MAY!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I really hate anti technology posts. They're illogical for the most part, and There's just as many articles saying technology is actually making us smarter.

Reaction score
Website
www.riotseeddistro.blogspot.com
One year ago I was totally against smartphones but after I found a galaxy s2 smartphone now I would say that I totally love this smartphone. It is a very small computer with a decent photo and video camera.For me is important to have with me while travelling a computer and a camera and a smartphone is perfect for this because of its very compact size.

Reactions: eske silver

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
nexus 7 w/ wifi and an android motorola atrix 2... my atrix has a sim, so if i need to ditch contract i can use go phone sim in it.... i also have my gf's old iphone 4 that i use just for music, photo/video, mapswithme app (offline maps).... i'm on my nexus 7 tablet right now in fact. i dont even own a laptop anymore..... i get about 9 hours straight usingntime on the battery and i carry a solar charger with me... technology on the road is double sided imo. i like it but i hate thenfact that i like it.....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads