How do I not die in Oakland? | Squat the Planet

How do I not die in Oakland?

S

storyofrachel

I'm in San Francisco right now, and I want to check out Oakland; the anarcho-squatter-punk stuff really entices me, and San Francisco is boring the absolute fuck out of me. But I'm afraid to go there because of all the shit I've heard.

So...where should I avoid? Bear in mind that I'm not very tough. I was told I should avoid Venice (in L.A.) because I look like I can be fucked with. I've never been in a fight.

And is there anyplace I should check out? I want to visit AK Press, and I want to meet dirty punk kids.

Last edited:

roughdraft

Reaction score
if you look angry and carry yourself like you are willing to fight, then you are more able to blend in on the go with the criminals who are actually willing to assault other people

aside from the common sense of....no jewelry and no expensive shit...i find that knowing when to look and Feel angry and hungry and having nothing to lose....and when to smile and show yourself as a kind person.....is the most important thing. has much to do with the unconscious world..criminals who are willing to assault other people will just sense you are one of them

just my 2 cents

never been in a fight either

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The best is to research and be prepared...

Confidence... ie... carrying yourself tough will help but only go so far....

If your the new fish in the lagoon best be ware of tiger sharks.

Hehe... though dumb luck does fucking go a hell of a long way.

Peace.

Listen to that voice inside... if it says GTFO...

• Stupid
Reactions: Skit

wrkrsunite

Reaction score
I'm currently housed up in Oakland and although we have a reputation for being crazy, it's really not that bad. At least for the anrcho punk types, it's the pigs we hate and rage on. I live in the heart of down town (7th and Alice China town) and can say that over the years I've loved this city squatting and staying with friends in between trips across country and back that this place has been gentrified all to hell and become much safer because of all the yuppies. I hate it because it doesn't feel like the Oakland of 10 years ago but oh well.
You prolly, judging by the way you described yourself, like Berkeley quite a bit also. Just jump on a Richmond bound Bart train and get off at the Berkeley stop and your in the heart of it.
If you have any problems in the East Bay send me message and maybe I can help.
Cheers.

severin

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
2569 S 5600 W ste 400, West Valley City, UT 84120
if you look angry and carry yourself like you are willing to fight, then you are more able to blend in on the go with the criminals who are actually willing to assault other people

aside from the common sense of....no jewelry and no expensive shit...i find that knowing when to look and Feel angry and hungry and having nothing to lose....and when to smile and show yourself as a kind person.....is the most important thing. has much to do with the unconscious world..criminals who are willing to assault other people will just sense you are one of them

just my 2 cents

never been in a fight either
This.

More often than not people who have not cultivated their empathetic faculties to a certain degree also happen to be quite basic. Learn to think and talk and carry yourself as they do and you are not likely to be harmed.. (in most cities). There are many exceptions, of course.. but in essence, it might be time for you to learn how to hide your fear? Only a suggestion.

As already said above as well, Oakland's really not so bad. Maybe avoid Richmond, though.

Reactions: roughdraft

Dameon

Reaction score
The anarcho-punk days of Oakland are largely over; silicon valley's pretty much simultaneously gentrifying the entire bay area. The punks can't afford the rent, and the real estate's to vulnerable to let houses turn into squats. If you're bored by frisco, you'll probably be bored by Oakland. Berkeley's alright, but honestly not what it's cracked up to be; it's pretty much the same as every other college town, but the drunken frat boys have more hippie in them than most. Definitely worth hopping on the BART and checking out both.

That said, if you were afraid of Venice, Oakland is rougher than Venice, but Venice isn't anywhere near as rough as you were led to believe.

Dagonshucks

Reaction score
I liked Venice. It's just really hard to make a dollar there; maybe that's what he/she meant.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads