Honolulu, Hawaii

TrystenGoodridge

Reaction score
A friend and I are heading out to Hawaii on November 29th. Would love any advice and info that anyone could share! It if there are some locals on here that would be perfect. We'll be flying into Honolulu and branching out from there.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
First time in Hawaii? What are you guys looking to do here?

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to camp legally on beaches here you need to get a permit to do so at designated spots. however, if you want to just sleep on any beach you want, one way around this is to just have a fishing line in the water. get a cheap pole and throw a line in the water with a sinker on the end and ur good to go pretty much. dont build fires where they can be seen from roads. Or if you want you can have them in a hibachi...but if u guys are backpacking I doubt ur gonna carry one around. there are some discrepancies about pitching a tent on the beach if ur gonna go the fishing line route...so be discreet...but y'all should be alright. watch your belongings...lots of thieves here and especially honolulu/waikiki areas with all the meth heads and lowlifes. avoid waianae area at all cost if ur white....especially after dark

• Useful
Reactions: Dmac

Dmac

Reaction score
whats the deal with waianae? and are there other areas or beaches that a tourist should avoid? how easy is it to throw rocks at Dog the Bounty Hunters place?

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
sorry to say it, but Waianae has a lot of lowlife local thugs and I've heard from different people to avoid walking the streets there at night if you're white. Might get fucked with/mugged by some haole haters. Actually, that's pretty much the entire westside. Also, Waikiki is okay during the day...but just keep yer wits about you when walking around late at night - especially Kuhio Ave where all the mahu prostitutes hang out and military guys getting drunk and starting fights with people once the bars start closing at 2am. Lot of bicycle thefts too and be careful if trying to buy herb from locals in Waiks...not saying they are all bad, but a lot are...they just know tourists/foreigners easy targets. Seen plenty of fights at night in Waikiki and a guy getting stabbed once too. Don't drink on the beaches/parks in Waikiki during the day...the cops keep a keen eye out for that too....been ticketed a couple times for that already. Couldn't tell you about Dog the Bounty hunter lol...I think he's got a place in Hawaii Kai? nice area..rich homes

SpaceDirt

Reaction score
I am leaving tomorrow actually to Maui, I've only backpacked there and have not had any issues. There are a number of abandoned structures on that island that are safe to stay. If you somehow manage your way to maui get a hold of me! (if you are still on the islands ha)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads