Homestead in Missouri

Mama Dragon

Reaction score
Hello, Im new to this forum and slightly new to the "lifestyle"

I live in rural Missouri. I'm a college student, studying Art and Theatre officially, but sustainable agriculture and local wildlife off the books. I've been a practicing freegan for 3 years, and a vegan for 5. I've hitchhiked around the midwest, but have never gone too far from home. I like camping and "living off the land".

Recently I got burned by the rural landlord I was renting from. I'm currently couch hopping, trying to get through this school year, but no one will let me keep my rescue animals (I steal chickens from factory farms and rehabilitate them, plus I have a very big dog).

I realized, while rambling through the rural area I live in, that there are hundreds of acres of unused land, BEAUTIFUL land, around here. A quick search through county records found over 3,000 acres owned by private persons living out of state. Many of these areas have abandoned and crumbling historical farmhouses. Why? Why does no one live there? And who will notice if i ignore all their buckshot "no tresspassing" signs?

I discovered the "squatter" movement online while researching the possibility of moving myself into an abandoned farm and fixing it up for me and the critters. Though I'm more of a farmer than a traveler, I think the spirit of freedom is the same.

So I'm looking for a farmhouse. I have several in mind (so if one doesn't work out, Ill just hop into the next one)

That's a pretty lengthy intro, and it may be my only post since i'm a terrible lurker....but Hello everyone! Once I get my farm established, if you ever find yourself in Columbia, MO, look me up! We'll have a bonfire.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Awesome! Welcome! Hope you can find some useful info on the site. There are some really good folks, but it's a mixed crowd here, so be smart about who you invite to your squats. Good luck!

Apples

Reaction score
Welcome to StP. I totally support what you're doing. Maybe when you get yourself situated I'll swing by sometime to help out on your farm.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Luck,young one!I had the feeling that eventually someone would start looking in the Empty Quarter,and you sound like you might have one of the best ideas yet.

tsoloc

Reaction score
Whats up mamadragon. We be neighbors. I am just outside columbia in a small town, and I too have been checking out the scenery. I guess message me if you want to chill sometime.

RobHASboots

Reaction score

I live in rural Missouri. I'm a college student, studying Art and Theatre officially, but sustainable agriculture and local wildlife off the books. I've been a practicing freegan for 3 years, and a vegan for 5. I've hitchhiked around the midwest, but have never gone too far from home. I like camping and "living off the land".

Recently I got burned by the rural landlord I was renting from. I'm currently couch hopping, trying to get through this school year, but no one will let me keep my rescue animals (I steal chickens from factory farms and rehabilitate them, plus I have a very big dog).

I realized, while rambling through the rural area I live in, that there are hundreds of acres of unused land, BEAUTIFUL land, around here. A quick search through county records found over 3,000 acres owned by private persons living out of state. Many of these areas have abandoned and crumbling historical farmhouses. Why? Why does no one live there? And who will notice if i ignore all their buckshot "no tresspassing" signs?

I discovered the "squatter" movement online while researching the possibility of moving myself into an abandoned farm and fixing it up for me and the critters. Though I'm more of a farmer than a traveler, I think the spirit of freedom is the same.

So I'm looking for a farmhouse. I have several in mind (so if one doesn't work out, Ill just hop into the next one)

That's a pretty lengthy intro, and it may be my only post since i'm a terrible lurker....but Hello everyone! Once I get my farm established, if you ever find yourself in Columbia, MO, look me up! We'll have a bonfire.
I'd like to learn more...
thinkin about pullin-up stakes, perhaps before winter creeps in. I'd love to head south...
you still around?

RobHASboots

Reaction score

hey. do you feel like a mama dragon when you watch chicks hatch? like, they're similar to lil dinosaurs... kinda... no? ok.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Welcome and best of luck!

My mother (and so, by extension, me) are a couple of those terrible people who live outside Missouri, but own property, there.

My grandparents left her some farmland and she's 1000 miles from Missouri, in Florida.

But...after 46 years in Florida, she's getting ready to move back "home" to my grandparent's home, which she got after they died.

My brother and I split the farm land we have awaiting us and out of respect to my mother, I'll wait until after she's gone and then take my half and turn what's fallow, into a commune for free spirits.

But...my land isn't in Columbia, it's in Southeast, MO.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads