Homemade saddle bags / pannier ideas ? | Squat the Planet

Homemade saddle bags / pannier ideas ?

jojoofu

Reaction score
I'm looking for some suggestions on making a home made saddle sack / pannier for my bicycle. I'm flat broke after spending money replacing my stolen gear. I do have lots of scrap metal laying around , some basic power tools and I think a few planks of wood. I just need something cheap and durable. My load will be pretty heavy. Instead of replacing my ultralight 1 man tent I opted to take an old 7 man tent that weighs about 15 pounds. I think I'll have about 35 pounds of gear in total.

todd

Reaction score
easy peasy

Attachments

• 1824bb32d5901e5070d5c1fe6f65ebbd.jpg
    1824bb32d5901e5070d5c1fe6f65ebbd.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,126

todd

Reaction score
well you said you have a lot of scrap metal for brackets.. buckets should be easy to find in the trash. it could be waste baskets, buckets, suitcases, anything really.

jojoofu

Reaction score
Not really like bracket metal but I could jimmy something up. I was kind of hoping someone maybe had some genius idea so I just put it out there. I'm busy tomorrow but Sunday I'm going to sit down and see what I can come up with. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

S

spectacular

Get some old smallish backpacks or messenger bags and insert street signage (corrugated plastic) for backing. Attach backing to bags with screws. Attach hooks to back of bags with screws. Mount on bike rack(s).

There are many videos on YouTube that will explain the process visually just search "messenger bag panniers diy"

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Reactions: Dmac

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
I've only toured a small amount but I built the 5 gallon bucket style panniers for my rear rack and they worked great. I bought two buckets and a set of hose clamps for probably 10 bucks or so. The extra surface space of the buckets including the rear rack allowed me to strap my pack with bungies to the top. All I needed was a screwdriver to assemble.

Reactions: ironman and Dmac

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
I've built the bucket panniers using the kit from Jandd. They were cool but if you lay your bike down or it fall the buckets will crack/break. I prefer the soft pannier bags. I took the kit off of my buckets and attached them to bags I got at a discount. If one of my bags ever tear and I can just buy a new backpack from Goodwill, Salvation army, etc. and put a hard backing inside the bag then attach the Jandd clips.

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads