News & Blogs - Homeless woman who "occupied" the white house 30 years protesting war, has passed at 80. | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Homeless woman who "occupied" the white house 30 years protesting war, has passed at 80.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Amazing they let her be!!! There is a vid at the link. She looks like an amazing woman - one to have met. She said she was arrested, bitten, gassed and tazered, If you follow the link to vid, then on to youtube - there are more vids of her.

Concepcion_Picciotto_1024x680.jpg

Concepcion Picciotto, a homeless anti-war protester has died at age 80, after occupying an area outside the White House for over 30 years. Ms. Picciotto is a Spanish immigrant, who is known by many as “Connie” or “Conchita.”

She began the longest running political protest in US history out front of the White House in 1981. Since then she has literally lived at the spot, spending 24 hours per day and 7 days a week at the vigil that she created.

The vigil showed a variety of anti-war and anti-nuclear slogans and had coordinated with local anti-war activists to provide information to passers-by.

Over the years, Picciotto’s vigil became a DC landmark for many, and a meeting place for activists.

Throughout the duration of her occupation, she has been attacked my police and citizens alike, arrested, and the government has many times attempted to eject her from the site. However, local support had managed to keep her where she was for 33 years. Recently, her health took a turn for the worse and she began staying at a local homeless shelter where she died on January 25th.

Last edited:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
~Now cracks a noble heart. Good night sweet Lady.
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!~

Reactions: Kal

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
My God..

I might have seen her, but never known..

One small Reed against the wind..

i hope she was well cared for.. i suspect she was..

it takes real strength to claim freedom, like that..

she is way more hardcore than i could ever pretend..

an old lady, & they needed to set dogs on her & arrest her & jail her & taser her..

they probably did it with a 1/2 dozen of their neo-americans, in fucking helmets, pretending to be the shock troops of fucking freedom..

something tells me they let her alone, more or less, because they *know*, deep down inside, not what shits they are, but just how much trouble it would cause, were they to make her 'disappear'...

makes me feel like a weak fucking creep of a coward..

Rest in Peace, Love...

rest..

& believe, because even if we learn of you late, we are made more, because you were..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads