hobo chic?? | Squat the Planet

hobo chic??

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
what the hell should i wear to at least help me not look like such a freakin poser amongst some of you veteran hobos..

did someone get on your case about not looking the right way or something?

Reactions: watson and ByronMc
K

Kim Chee

An unshaven face and clean clothes (when possible) worked for me.

fyi: any attempt at trying to not look like a poser is poserish.

Perhaps you're giving it too much thought?

thomas mccoy

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
did someone get on your case about not looking the right way or something?[/quo
An unshaven face and clean clothes (when possible) worked for me.

fyi: any attempt at trying to not look like a poser is poserish.

Perhaps you're giving it too much thought?
yeah i just dont wanna get any flak.. i dont wanna stick out either..
and im definately thinking too much haha..

kidbob

Reaction score
Who are u trying to blend in with.....the townies or us ? If ur one of us then be yourself..some of us care more about actual style but it doesnt matter for real and I could get into butt flaps and crotch vents and sewing with dental floss and making buttons out of beer tabs and tattooing with bic lighters and all that good jazz but in reality most traveler "swag" is all in functionality.I keep all my utinsils bent on one carribener...when busking my cook grill gets used as a washboard sometimes.... Man don't sweat it really.. u will adapt if u truly want to.... i try to stay fairly reasonable. I get my I.d ran too much if I get too crusty..... But I will say this...... A good set of bibs can be modified many cool ways.

Synth

Reaction score
Go rub some dirt in your clothes, and stop wearing deodorant. But seriously attitude goes a long way. Be cool, honest and all that jazz and it'll be better than just patching up your clothes

Hylyx

Reaction score
Yeah pretty much what everyone else said already.
I totally grok the wanting to look the part thing, but fuck anyone who is gonna judge you for not looking like them. They aren't worth your time. If you are travelling, people will pick up on that regardless. I keep my face (at a minimum) shaved, I freaking hate facial hair for various reasons, wear bigass boots, a black patchy jacket in the winter or a long coat everyone says looks like a wizard's coat in the summer. Sure I have my dreads but I still don't look like your stereotypical travelling kid and never have been hassled for it.

Had some train kids in RSV shrug me off but I could tell it was cuz they didn't know me and would have happened no matter how I was dressed. A few hours later I met some other kids who were cool as fuck and we shared whiskey and a bowl.

Best I can say dress how feels right for you while being safe and suited for travelling. In town I wear a skirt 99% of the time but no way in hell I'd ride in one, too hard to run and climb and hop fences. ^_^ Shit if I saw someone travelling in a suit and tie I'd definitely make friends with them. That'd be punk as fuck.

kidbob

Reaction score
Yeah pretty much what everyone else said already.
I totally grok the wanting to look the part thing, but fuck anyone who is gonna judge you for not looking like them. They aren't worth your time. If you are travelling, people will pick up on that regardless. I keep my face (at a minimum) shaved, I freaking hate facial hair for various reasons, wear bigass boots, a black patchy jacket in the winter or a long coat everyone says looks like a wizard's coat in the summer. Sure I have my dreads but I still don't look like your stereotypical travelling kid and never have been hassled for it.

Had some train kids in RSV shrug me off but I could tell it was cuz they didn't know me and would have happened no matter how I was dressed. A few hours later I met some other kids who were cool as fuck and we shared whiskey and a bowl.

Best I can say dress how feels right for you while being safe and suited for travelling. In town I wear a skirt 99% of the time but no way in hell I'd ride in one, too hard to run and climb and hop fences. ^_^ Shit if I saw someone travelling in a suit and tie I'd definitely make friends with them. That'd be punk as fuck.

fuck yah suit and tie!!!!! Like pinstrip gangsta suit.....all held together with dental floss.... And have like an enron patch or federal reserve patch.....that would be punk as fuck.....

But i thought punk was dead? Lmao

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
meh i just wear all black just to blend in better.Those $25 dickies ya get at walmart seem great.Got my crusthartts but i wash em regulary.Patched clothimg seems cool but fuck all that work.

Still wouldnt mind a vest or a suit and tie with s top hat.Why?Becsuse fuck you thats why!!

trainkorrre!!

Mongo

Reaction score
I miss my suit, I used to have a grey one that perfectly fit me I had found it at a thrift store. Ripped it hopping fences and threw it away years ago

Reactions: thomas mccoy
P

pigpen

whenever I see kids wearing suits and carrying suitcases on the road I can t help but think; man you gotta be going outta your way to dress like that, it's not the thirties and workwear and military gear is far more practical that a fucking 10 pound suitcase and pointy wooden shoes. Seeing ''old timey kids" on their I-phones listening to French "transcendental" black metal while charging up at the greyhound station does make me chuckle a little.

best advice I can offer you is be yourself, dress according to the weather/situation and don't let someone fool you into thinking they know their shit because they have dreads and a dystopia backpatch. some of the most learned riders I've met have been the most clean cut.

oh yeah and typically the more "normal" and less gritty you look, the less the cops will fuck with you. stash your pack if you can if your gonna be walking around the French quarter (you mention in other posts heading for nola)

D

Deleted member 20

Honesty is your best policy! Fuck a road name or a costume, just be yourself. We already have enough fake ass crusty people. You know the types, that live at home but are rank as fuck, tattoos everywhere always hanging around homebums & travelers sometimes even complete with a pack etc. There are plenty of fakes out there, the world dont need more. I am a clean freak by nature, former military & routinely get accused of being a cop. I never get ran off & no one ever trys to take my shit so i guess its not too bad, lol. I wouldnt worry to much about much. Just chill & be yourself.

Last edited:

thomas mccoy

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Honesty is your best policy! Fuck a road bame or a costume, just be yourself. We already have enough fake ass crusty people. You know the types, that live at home but are rank as fuck, tattoos everywhere always hanging around homebums & travelers sometimes even complete with a pack etc. There are plenty of fakes out there, the world dont need more. I am a clean freak by nature, former military & routinely get accused of being a cop. I never get ran off & no one ever trys to take my shit so i guess its not too bad, lol. I wouldnt worry to much about much. Just chill & be yourself.
i was also affraid of getting too much military grade stuff.. but i know most of it works like a freaking charm so i just got it all anyway..

thomas mccoy

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Who are u trying to blend in with.....the townies or us ? If ur one of us then be yourself..some of us care more about actual style but it doesnt matter for real and I could get into butt flaps and crotch vents and sewing with dental floss and making buttons out of beer tabs and tattooing with bic lighters and all that good jazz but in reality most traveler "swag" is all in functionality.I keep all my utinsils bent on one carribener...when busking my cook grill gets used as a washboard sometimes.... Man don't sweat it really.. u will adapt if u truly want to.... i try to stay fairly reasonable. I get my I.d ran too much if I get too crusty..... But I will say this...... A good set of bibs can be modified many cool ways.
what do yo mean by bending your utensils in a caribeaner??

• Haha
Reactions: kidbob
D

Deleted member 20

Well utensils you eat with & a carabiner hooks on to stuff. Fond, buy, steal a set of stainless silverware & bend some loops im the end so you can attach em to tje carabiner so they dont get lost. I have assembled a few pieces over the years for eating. 2 sets of camping utensils, an aluminum cup & stainless bowl with snap on plastic lid. Doubt it cost me $10 bucks total.
uploadfromtaptalk1388699425200.jpg

Last edited:

thomas mccoy

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well utensils you eat with & a carabiner hools on to stuff. Fond, buy, steal a set of stainless silverware & bend some loops im the end so you can attach em to tje carabiner so they dont get lost. I have assembled a few pieces over the years for eating. 2 sets of camping utensils, an aluminum cup & stainless bowl with snap on plastic lid. Doubt it cost me $10 bucks total. View attachment 11670
i drilled holes in mine.. ill try that out though.. and is that a key for a vending machine??

• Haha
Reactions: kidbob

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads