hitching I-5/Pacific Coast Highway

nameless

Reaction score
im heading outta orange county, ca heading north.. whats the best highways to hitch?? i know the 5 takes me all the way up to oregon, but i know nothing of which roads i can or cant hitch on for i got here by bus.. anyone with experience from this area with some good advice?? thanks!

livefreeordie

Reaction score
LA sucks to hitch out of. If i were you i would try to get on a bus to santa barbara(like 25 dollar bus from LA). From there you should be able to hitch from one of the on-ramps to the 101. The I 5 is a desert wasteland until you hit like Fresno so I would avoid that. If there is a sign that says no pedestrians, you can risk it but most likely you'll get a ticket and sometimes they make you walk BACK to where you got on. If the highway is a two lane you can walk on it. The 1(PCH) is cool and scenic but you have to get out of LA to even think bout a ride. Hope this helps.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i-5 is yucky.... yeah stay on 101/1 the whole way ...at least till you git up to the bay area..you oughtta take it all the way up tho ....redwood(weed) country and shit ...byootiful.....look up the "vista" bus you can get from LA to santa barbara fer a few bucks....have fun

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Go 5 if you are in a hurry.
Otherwise stay on the 101 or PCH 1.

Get to LA and hitch on PCH 1 at Topanga Canyon,
Buses go from Santa Monica.

I got stuck in Santa Barbara on the 101 near Pismo Beach though.
Good Luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads