Hitching during lockdowns (1 Viewer)

plasticlife

Yo. Just tried hitching out of Merced, CA for 7 hours. No luck, decided to grab an ultra cheap flight to Sacramento to try my luck around there, or find a place to be. It was outrageously hot today, haha, 104 to be exact. I look pretty clean and neat, have super long hair. My personality is garbage, but people tell me I’m attractive all the time! Throw off a surfer vibe, though I don’t surf (though I would).

Forgive the vanity, or flame me for it, whatever. My point is, I thought I’d have an easier time getting a ride. I had no luck at all. Had a dope sign, was posted right next to a highway at a gas station corner.

Was it Merced? Was it the lockdowns? Was it that people could feel the arrogance coming off me as they drove by?

Anyone else tried hitching recently
near Merced, or Cali, or anywhere? What’s the scoop?

Also, I’m on the side of thinking the lockdowns are overblown and that in general the perception of covid is totally irrational, and the numbers are fudged, and etc etc. So, please save any snark you were loading on that topic.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

roughdraft

RápidoCorrenLosCarrosRespletoLosRielesDFerrocarril
@Bushpig was saying he had plenty of luck pretty recently.

I reckon with the lockdowns gradually calming down, things will normalize rapidly enough.

Yeah maybe it's that people see how gorgeous you are and think "eh, too good to be true"

Try to rub a bunch of mustard on the front of a white t-shirt and rip a couple holes in it ?

I crack myself up, nah, I have never hitchhiked in California but something tells me it's just blown out

Bushpig

Wanderer
@Bushpig was saying he had plenty of luck pretty recently.
I've hitched in California in the past, but not since Covid. I don't think it'll be that much different. But I move while hitching. You'll have better luck, and if not, you'll still be making progress. If I'm not up for walking, I post up at a truck stop. Plenty of food and water. And when you do get a ride, it'll be a long-distance one.

I'm currently resting up, but hoping to hit the road going westward later this month. I'll let everyone know how it goes for me, but I don't expect any Covid-related problems. Just the normal difficulties.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.