Video - Hitchiking with a gun | Squat the Planet

Video Hitchiking with a gun

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
This guy's been filming his hitchiking journey through Oregon with his open-carry .357!

K

Kim Chee

I didn't even watch the video yet (I'm using mobile).

Bad idea hitching with a weapon.

"Uh, last hitchhiker I picked up had a gun!"

Killing hitchhiking, literally with a gun.

Stupid fuck.

...did this really happen or do I need to watch the video?

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I only watched a couple minutes of the video but I think I got the general idea and I agree with @Kim Chee. This guy may think he's making a point about guns but what's he's really doing is making hitchhikers look bad.

It's not a bad idea to carry something for self-defense but if you've got a gun visible on your body and the first thing you're asking drivers is "Do you mind picking up a guy with gun?" you're bound to freak some people out and make them not want to stop for other hitchhikers in the future.

K

Kim Chee

Ok, I watched the vid.

Guy seems to think that the nice people in Oregon somehow represent the rest of the country.

I have the warm fuzzies now, thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: Vulture

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Idk... for me it just made me even more curious about hitchiking in the US... Like, he makes it look easy to hitch with a gun (I didnt watch the whole thing, did he say how long it took him?), so I'm curious to compare the US with Asia...

K

Kim Chee

Idk... for me it just made me even more curious about hitchiking in the US... Like, he makes it look easy to hitch with a gun (I didnt watch the whole thing, did he say how long it took him?), so I'm curious to compare the US with Asia...

Hitchhiking in Oregon is easy.

People there apparently aren't too bothered about an armed stranger getting into their car.

Believe me, the rest of the country is not like Oregon.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
People there apparently aren't too bothered about an armed stranger getting into their car.

Like I said, this video is probably very biaised. It doesnt show how long he had to wait, how many people he scared off, and didn't compare it to without a gun. The only thing it shows is that yes, it's possible to hitch with a gun in Oregon.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
It's not a bad idea to carry something for self-defense but if you've got a gun visible on your body and the first thing you're asking drivers is "Do you mind picking up a guy with gun?" you're bound to freak some people out and make them not want to stop for other hitchhikers in the future.

I think he did it the best way possibly, honestly. It's better to warn them upfront than have them freaking out half-way there when they find out. He also warmed them pretty "professionally", explaining that it's for his documentary and all...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads