Hitchihiking Horror Stories?

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Just wanted to make a quick comment about pacifism: its original purpose was anti-war mobilization, not passivity. You can be a pacifist and still believe in defending yourself and your family.

As for the best method of self defense, I've carried all types of weapons, learned lethal martial arts moves, etc, but probably the most important thing has been learning conflict avoidance skills. A lot of people think the best response is to act aggressive all the time but this usually attracts violence instead of repels it. Learn to never be afraid while simultaneously gaining respect for people, even those you don't like. Respect does not mean submission, it just means treating others with decency. The combination of respect combined with a genuine lack of fear will stop most problems in their tracks. This is very much about mental discipline more than anything else. But one pay off is that the weapons you're carrying really will be used only in worst case scenarios, not just when someone pushes your buttons as is usually the case.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just wanted to make a quick comment about pacifism: its original purpose was anti-war mobilization, not passivity. You can be a pacifist and still believe in defending yourself and your family.

As for the best method of self defense, I've carried all types of weapons, learned lethal martial arts moves, etc, but probably the most important thing has been learning conflict avoidance skills. A lot of people think the best response is to act aggressive all the time but this usually attracts violence instead of repels it. Learn to never be afraid while simultaneously gaining respect for people, even those you don't like. Respect does not mean submission, it just means treating others with decency. The combination of respect combined with a genuine lack of fear will stop most problems in their tracks. This is very much about mental discipline more than anything else. But one pay off is that the weapons you're carrying really will be used only in worst case scenarios, not just when someone pushes your buttons as is usually the case.

Yes this is what I meant. Though I don't remember any ti-kuan-do from when I was 6 I'm am sure that I can handle my self without my steel.
I spent years studying pressure points, weak spots i.e., collar bone, (broken easily it nearly immobilizes the person from arm use)
And flat out intimidating and bluffing weak minded folk.
But givin where I grew up and the "people watching" and introspection and studying the human animal I have become somewhat expert at dealing with people, especially potential walking threats.
So as I said, The day someone gets stupid will be a bad day for that person.

+ theres lotsa places off interstate highways that both cars and bodies can be stored for decades without being found, specially here in the south west - theres a saying down here in the desert lands "lots of holes in the desert, don't end up in one"

H

hamikman

I don't hitchhike much anymore but used to a lot. Almost all my rides were great and many times ended up with way more than a ride. I've hitched all over the world and met some great people that way. Hitching alone is the best and I suppose the most dangerous but more likely to get a ride. I had this queer guy grab my balls once and freaked me out to the extent he got my left elbow in his teeth. And f course got rides from guys that were hoping I was queer and that was as far as it went after I'd say not me. While hiching across Canada to get to Vancouver to catch a flight to Australia a buddy and I got a lift from one wierd dude. In Calgary he picked us up but not before picking up this other guy that was hitching just a little way before us. The other hitcher had on these little kiddy heart shaped sunglasses that were too small for him and he'd cut off the bent part of the arms and stuck drinking straws on them so they'd go over his ears. He just sat in the front seat staring straight ahead saying nothing the whole time. The driver was on speed I think. He wouldn't shut up. He was going on about how he'd just ditched his family and was fucking off to the coast to hook up with his friends. He then proceeded to dig out photos of his friends and show them to us. They were mostly nude and really ugly. He insisted we go with him all the way to the coast and meet his friends and get layed etc and do we have any weed, cash..... We got out at Banff making the excuse we had relatives there or some shit. We were afraid he wouldn't let us out. He probably made the news eventually. The other hitcher had a big USmarine tattoo under which said "born to kill". This was 1982 and we thought he was a fucked up nam vet. Ya, thats right kids I'm an ooold man. I like to pick up hitch hikers especially young people as thay remind me of all the shit I did way back. I feel I owe for all the rides and generosity I got when I didn't have shit. Now I have a truck with tiny camper and usually drive east for work every spring and back again west in fall. Usually see someone that needs a ride and has a cool story to tell. I only have one other seat so can only take one so feel bad when I drive by couples. I've met some awesome kids having a great time and just seeing where the road will take them. I hope they all have safe journeys but with enough adventure to be interesting. Someone earlier said- trust your instinct. If you open the door and something tells you something isn't right- listen! That being said I've had great rides from some awesome people that mainstream people would be afraid of just by looking at them. If you hitch alone you're a little more vulnerable but you're far more likely to get invited to a meal, party, stay with the family etc...

Reactions: NamelessExistence

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
i was in council bluffs iowa and i was at walmar with my friend and theis chick was like you want to come to my house and get a shower and eat. we were so down with it for the fact we had just been droped off after a wild ride and no showers for weeks. after all that they ask up if we want to go to a cook out, were like yeah so this girl and her prego friend and one more load up the girls truck and start driving, after 30mins we ask where were going and they said they were taking us camping. there was no way to get out so we were like fuck it we can take them if need be. tey took us to a nasy lake and we ate steak that i cooked. it was good. so antway things were getting really creapy so i told the i was going to sleep in the back of her truck and my poor friend frank slept in the tent with the girls, turns out the first girl was a hermapherdite(cant spell) poor frank had the wort time when they all tried to get into his pants.
i guess it was more of a horror story for him

liz79

Reaction score
so far i only have one horror story, it isnt too bad tho. i was trying to get out of redding, ca and had just got a ride to a truck stop by a guy who realized i was in a shit spot to get out at. my next ride wasnt so great though, he was a trucker who said he was only going a few exits down and i told him as long as i got a little farther i didnt care. almost as soon as i got in he started asking for sex, whining like a baby saying that its such a great thing and that i have a beautiful body and should use it. i actually had to pull out my knife on him when he started to try and grope my tits and make him stop a few exits before where he was going to leave me so i wouldnt have to deal with his shit anymore. soon after that i got picked up by a nice cop who took me to another truck stop that i had better luck with.

keg

Reaction score
so i am up in the mountains in fukushima.i have been waiting at a truckstop type place for hours.this guy says want a ride?so i get in his van and he puts my bike in the back(a fuckin beachcruiser)so he says he will take me almost all the way i need to go so i am happy.so we are talking about shit,just normal shit but for some reason this guy kept talking about yakuza and asking me if i liked yakuza.now i have have learned not to judge people by there looks...but this guy was a dork.so about 3am we are in the middle of the mountains and we hit a police checkpoint.they take him someplace they take me someplace.about an hour later we are on are way.so this guy says his moms house is up ahead and i can stay there but he had no electricity.but since i was on my way to see my kids i said no just drop me off its ok.now this guy is almost out of gas and says he has no money.and i have no money for gas either.but he says i will drive you.but first we parked someplace and slept him in the drivers seat and me in the other.so morning comes and i am like ok i will just bike out of here.but we are talking and he is looking around the back of his van and he comes across glass cutters lockpicking shit and that type of shit.he starts giggling and says "lucky those police did not find these last night.it was because there is no way the would have belived me.but sometimes i wonder what would have happened if i went with him for a couple days.if my kids were not waiting i would have went on a crime spree with him.but still he was a nice guy.i do not know how he got gas to get home.so never judge people by there looks.he looked like a nerd.but was a super nice thief.

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
so never judge people by there looks.he looked like a nerd.but was a super nice thief.

i love nerds they are almost always nice people

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads