Hitchhiking with facial hair (1 Viewer)

Current Location
North Rim, AZ
I've heard some people say it's better to hitchhike clean shaved. Is that your experience? I have a small beard and I am trimming it properly. Does it make much of a difference? Cheers

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
D

Deleted member 20683

I deleted myself
people sometimes get all anxious about their appearance and how it will affect their odds about stuff like htis. yes - it's probably best to not look filthy and smelly - i would only worry about dressing up really 'normie' if you were doing something sketchy where you don't want to attract attention...but when you're hitching all you're doing is attracting attention. it might affect the KIND of people who pick you up, and you might move along a little faster. then again if you look like yourself you might meet more people who woud be genuinely down with you, which can be one of the most rewarding things about hitching. fly your freak flag and the freaks will come! in my experience most rides are from weirdos who used to hitchhike anyway.

stormrider66

Current Location
Jackson, GA
Website
backroads66.com
Going on personal experience here: the cleaner you look, the better your chances are of getting a ride. I only had a beard for a short time, back in 1988, and didn't really notice if it made any difference. As long as you have fairly clean clothing on, you should be good to go.

RottonCotton

Lurker
I deleted myself
Current Location
Dallas Texas
4 dogs and hobos with beards stick to the big iron.
2 hobos with beards and no dogs stick to ramp .
Stink with a beard stuck at shelter .
I have a beard and it's 8 inches long now but also I am a hobo model so chicks slam on the brakes ....and so do some guys..

211 Crew UP big boy Drift

benton

Pilgrim
Current Location
Little Rock, United States
if your beard is a dealbreaker, is that the type of person you want to pick you up?

after I started hitching, there were times I had a car and I picked up everyone. I was vague about where I was going and if they were too strange for me to deal with I dropped them off at a store after a few miles. That only happened a couple of times.

dumpsternavel

Wanderer
Current Location
Fuck Off Land
Website
m.soundcloud.com
I've hitched with a few men that had beards. Also, men with beards, in skirts.
I'd say-
It depends on the state you're hitching, not the hair you do, or don't have.

I always smell like shit when I'm hitching, and my clothes are never clean when I'm on the road. Why? Because I'm on the road. People that expect more of you won't pick you up anyways.

amines

Current Location
Utrecht, Netherlands
My personal opinion, and experience. I try to avoid having any beard whilst hitchhiking through North America. In Europe I can get by with a short beard.

In my case with a beard I look like I'm about to hijack a plane. Without it I look like a 16yo collage student.

I guess to sum it up it really varies depending where you are and what type of beard you have. The cleaner you look the higher your chance for a ride is.

dingo dave

Lurker
Current Location
Milwaukee
never noticed any issues with it, most the people I get rides from have hitchhiked before and understand how it goes.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
Hmm this is a really tough as there is almost no real universal answer. I think it really comes down to body language, don't look like a total crazy person and someone is always bound to instinctually make a connection with you and want to stop.

roughdraft

RápidoCorrenLosCarrosRespletoLosRielesDFerrocarril
Current Location
nowhere important
can't say it's caused me any issue yet.. it's less about facial hair and more about having a good soul

dingo dave

Lurker
Current Location
Milwaukee
Hmm this is a really tough as there is almost no real universal answer. I think it really comes down to body language, don't look like a total crazy person and someone is always bound to instinctually make a connection with you and want to stop.
This is probably the best answer, also think that keeping your all your shit as compact as possible and not having too many bags makes a difference.

MFB

Wayfarer
Current Location
CO
Ive gotten rides from military vets that have saide they picked me up bc I was clean cut.

Other than that, some ppl be bout it, other aint. Besides, Im far uglier wo a beard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

MFB wrote on slaapkaamers's profile.
I hosted Lilith/@slaapkaamers for 3 nights in Nov 19.
She was an exemplary guest. Good w both conversing and alone time. Trustworthy, didnt steal anything and I felt very comfortable leaving her alone at my place. She didnt stink and not a junky.
Lilith is a legit traveller, she's a sweet, artistic chick w lots of good and interesting ideas to chat about. A pleasure to host. If she's in your neck of the woods you should help her out. 😉
I have a pretty good new squat in sfe but im leaving soon if anyone wants the keys lmk.
The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel
Bey
First Vermont snowfall; Bon hiver, everybody!
anybody up in alaska wanna play some tunes?