Hitchhiking to the Outback | Squat the Planet

Hitchhiking to the Outback

dodi

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Sooo, I am on the eve (not literally, it's gonna be in August) of an hitch-hiking trip across Australia, starting Sydney and hopefully ending in the Outback.

I am after any advice about hitchiking or train hopping in that country, also ideas as to where to go. I personally have two dreams : explore the tunnels of Sydney and /or Melbourne, and get picked up by a road-train.
But that's only for the things I know exist, so if you're familiar with the wonders of Australia and would like to drop me an idea, I'm game :)

Cheers,
Dodi

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
sounds epic. you should update us as you make your way along. i'd love to see that since i've always wanted to travel across australia.

Reactions: dodi and Kal

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Hey sounds sick!!

@Minnie started a thread about some of their experiences hitching Oz & the outback, I've also written some threads on it as I've done 15000+kms hitching in Australia now :)

The drains in Melbourne are pretty awesome, I recommend those for sure.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer em :D

Overall hitching in Oz as a solo female is very easy, it takes nearly no time to get a lift most of the time. I'm in Adelaide now, just hitched over from Melbs via the coast and I'm about to head up to Alice over the next few days! I recommend taking coastal roads, especially from Syd down to Melbourne...people are excellent and the scenery is gorgeous. And if you've never been to the Great Ocean Road, definitely take that between Melbs & Adelaide

Reactions: Benji91 and dodi

dodi

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies !

@Matt Derrick : I'll sure try to post some photos, as the colors here are so crazy you literally just have to swing your camera and BAM, gorgeous photo :)

@Koala : Thanks for the advice, I'll sure read these.
About the drains in Melbourne, can you tell me where to access them ? I think I read your thread about it, and it sure looked cool. Or should I pm you about that ?

Yeah I've seen that, I gave it a go to try and see how it worked, it was just amazingly quick. Only thing, two girls left me on the freeway side, because they thought I would get a ride easily there. Not a cool moment, but as a matter of fact, I still got a ride ^^

So you say Great Ocean Road should be on the list ? I had no idea, since I heard everybody say it was gorgeous but without being more specific, so I thought it could be like this kind of touristy attraction that are way overrated.

Cheers :)

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Yeah shoot me a pm about the drains!

Ah yeah I defintely learned that as I went, the more and more kms I hitched the less and less I was stuck (90% of the time I direct drivers where I'd like to get out!). On smaller highways (the coast b/w Melbs & Sydney, the coast b/w Melbs and Adelaide, the entire highway north of Rockhampton), where there's only two lanes and the highway goes thru towns, it doesn't really matter too much, but yeah with 100/110kph roads with on/off ramps it can be a pain to figure out where to go to not get stuck/be standing with cars whizzing past.

The Great Ocean Road is definitely touristy, but soooo beautiful, definitely lives up to the hype, I definitely reccommend it over the inland route if you're going Melbs to Adelaide! :) Or even if you're not....it's gorgeous and very easy to hitch, too. Feel free to drop me any other questions here or thru pm

Reactions: dodi

dodi

Reaction score
Cool thanks !

Ah yeah I definitely learned that as I went, the more and more kms I hitched the less and less I was stuck (90% of the time I direct drivers where I'd like to get out!).

Well, I'd be happy to do that, but most of the time, I have no idea how things are going to be where I go, so I just assume the driver would know, if they are proposing to drop me in a certain place. But I feel it's strange how sometimes people REALLY REALLY want to help you, and end up doing something quite stupid and not help you at all ^^

Yeah, I realized that reading your thread, I was just being snob I think, but know I've made my mind ;)

And are there like smaller towns on the way where it's worth (or where we are likely) to stop ? Between Sydney and Melbourne, or Melbourne and Adelaide ?

Oh, and cool website that you have, thanks for that as well ! :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads