Video Hitchhiking Is The Ultimate Adventure

Current Location
On The Road
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey, I'm Cat, hitched 8k miles solo, and decided to make a video about why I love hitchhiking. Because if you've hitched before, you know that our most common question we get asked is WHY?!? It's hard to explain to every ride, because the reasons are so vast (at least for me) so here's my reasons why it is the ultimate experience.
Let me know your amazing reasons! I'd love to hear different perspectives.
If you've never hitched before, I really hope this inspires you to try it out!

Current Location
Holyoke, MA
Right on. Hitching has definitely helped me learn how to communicate better / "translate" myself in talking to people from all different walks of life... Although I have to know when I have the energy for it and when to stop. It can be exhausting having to be friendly and reassuring with that many people.

"Not everyone is evil like The News or your family..." Mind if I just use that out of context? This is what I'm going to say every time someone's nice to me now. Not everyone's evil like the news or my family! X-D

Current Location
Denver
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
Listened to you talk while I baked cookies; you really made my day. I don't meet may people IRL with whom I see eye to eye on so many aspects of the lifestyle. Right off the bat you covered the two things that make hitching so valuable for me: it's dragged me out of my own shyness and into the wide world, and it removes money completely from the equation during the search for fulfillment and happiness.
You clearly get asked the "why" question a lot, 'cause you've definitely got your spiel down!

Current Location
On The Road
Website
www.youtube.com
Although I have to know when I have the energy for it and when to stop. It can be exhausting having to be friendly and reassuring with that many people.X-D
This is so true, especially if you're already a bit introverted it just zaps the energy from us when having to speak haha. Usually when that happens a good long walk along the road helps. Hopefully my next trip I'll find a road dog for company and also for someone to help with the talking.

I don't meet may people IRL with whom I see eye to eye on so many aspects of the lifestyle. You clearly get asked the "why" question a lot, 'cause you've definitely got your spiel down!
I'm glad you see it this way too :) and yes, its the most common question other than "but isn't it dangerous!!?" haha. Sometimes I wish i could just respond like...."no, no, ya, no, eh....just keep driving please"

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
i hate to be a downer, but i really hate hitchhiking. at least in the united states. i can't help but just get sad about our society when i watch 1,000 suv's go by with one driver a piece and no one is willing to pick you up. that's one reason i stuck to trains for so long...

i would like to try it in other countries where people aren't so afraid though...

Current Location
On The Road
Website
www.youtube.com
I feel ya, theres a lot of things i hate about it and dedicated a video to that topic lol I'm going to try trainhopping later this summer I trust myself enough to be ready for it, because ya hitching is becoming a boring frustration, ready to try a new challenge/mix it up a bit

Current Location
On The Road
Website
www.youtube.com
Very nice video! you made some great points especially about putting your ego aside and accepting gifts, that was really tough for me to overcome, and still feel bad sometimes about it. I subscribed, will love to see more. thank you!