Hitchhiking info for southern california | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Hitchhiking info for southern california

Amelia Hatharty

Reaction score
Heading to SoCal for warmth in the winter. Where should I go that it's warm outside at night? Also, any suggestions for getting there from Wisconsin?

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Heading to SoCal for warmth in the winter. Where should I go that it's warm outside at night? Also, any suggestions for getting there from Wisconsin?
Slab City, or somewhere not right on the coast. Joshua tree maybe. It will be cold at night, but bearable, and the day will rarely rain.
For hitching, if you are new to it... Take highways of course, get off at service stations on the highway. Use signs (I think people tend to feel more comfortable if they see you have a destination). If you want to make it comfortable, spend an hour looking at Google maps, and get a couch surfing account. This is such a luxury for hitching in my opinion, but in the winter, what a great option (and fuck yeah luxury, I dont care if I dont get any punk points for it....)
Make a planned route, with cities that you think you can make it to in one day of hitching. Then get on Couchsurfing, and find a place to crash in that city. So nice to get showers, food, and warm beds when you are on the road, and not being a tired, sick, stinky punk makes a good image for hitch hiking, and makes it better for all of us.
Your route, think DesMoines-Omaha-North Platte-Denver-Grand Junction-St George- Vegas (maybe try to skip this, big cities tend to drag you in and are hard to get out of...)-[San Bernadino-Indio-Niland (Slab City)]or[riverside-SanDiego]

Amelia Hatharty

Reaction score
Slab City, or somewhere not right on the coast. Joshua tree maybe. It will be cold at night, but bearable, and the day will rarely rain.
For hitching, if you are new to it... Take highways of course, get off at service stations on the highway. Use signs (I think people tend to feel more comfortable if they see you have a destination). If you want to make it comfortable, spend an hour looking at Google maps, and get a couch surfing account. This is such a luxury for hitching in my opinion, but in the winter, what a great option (and fuck yeah luxury, I dont care if I dont get any punk points for it....)
Make a planned route, with cities that you think you can make it to in one day of hitching. Then get on Couchsurfing, and find a place to crash in that city. So nice to get showers, food, and warm beds when you are on the road, and not being a tired, sick, stinky punk makes a good image for hitch hiking, and makes it better for all of us.
Your route, think DesMoines-Omaha-North Platte-Denver-Grand Junction-St George- Vegas (maybe try to skip this, big cities tend to drag you in and are hard to get out of...)-[San Bernadino-Indio-Niland (Slab City)]or[riverside-SanDiego]

Thank you! That's really helpful. Couchsurfers is a great suggestions and I forward that to everyone. It's generally really trustworthy and there are a lot of friendly hippies on it. Do you think it's better to go it alone or with someone else?

GnarGarr

Reaction score
Okay, so I live in Santa Clarita. I could easily get to the I-5 or Santa Barbara, and I want to thumb it up to Oregon so I can visit my friend in Eugene and then my family in Seattle, Wa.

ANY advice you could give me on a routes to get up there would be awesome. I would like to take the highway up the coast if it's do-able.

P

Pheonix

Okay, so I live in Santa Clarita. I could easily get to the I-5 or Santa Barbara, and I want to thumb it up to Oregon so I can visit my friend in Eugene and then my family in Seattle, Wa.

ANY advice you could give me on a routes to get up there would be awesome. I would like to take the highway up the coast if it's do-able.

You can take the 101 up the coast or if you want the scenic route take the pacific coast highway, from Crescent City,CA to Grant's Pass,OR you can take the 199 to get on I-5 for the last leg of your journey.

X

XMNnmx

Is it possible to hitchhike on the Angeles Crest Highway, or on the part of the 210 in Northern Glendale/La Crescenta? I'd like to be able to get to SF, if I have to hitchhike to get there anyways.

XlilyX

Reaction score
Website
hashbone.bandcamp.com
To go North on i5 from LA, id recommend taking the metrolink antellope valley line, departing from union station. Get off at the Newhal stop in San clemente, it costs seven dollars. Then take the local bus (can't remember the number) to the mcbean transit center (your train ticket is recognized as fare, and they do check tickets on the antellope valley line). From there take the number one bus to Castaic.Way better than San clemente for hitching, lots of truckers and 24 businesses.

Reaction score
To go North on i5 from LA, id recommend taking the metrolink antellope valley line, departing from union station. Get off at the Newhal stop in San clemente, it costs seven dollars. Then take the local bus (can't remember the number) to the mcbean transit center (your train ticket is recognized as fare, and they do check tickets on the antellope valley line). From there take the number one bus to Castaic.Way better than San clemente for hitching, lots of truckers and 24 businesses.
It's not San Clemente, it's Santa Clarita. Just dont want to see anyone get confused or end up in S. Orange County, (where San Clemente is.) As far as the bus routes & best spots to hitch, I know nothing. But I grew up the SFV, so I couldnt help correcting that part.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads