Hitch-hiking in Spain

Lucrezia

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new and this is my first post.
I'm a 23 years old italian girl, I love travelling and I'm currently living in Barcelona.

I want to hitch hike till Andalucìa alone but I'm concerned about safety, so I was also thinking about using a car sharing app or website.
I've found an app on Apple store, "No Taxi": a car sharing platform without any fee where you can also ask for a ride for free: it seems a cool alternative to hitch-hiking.
If it were true, it would be a great way to save money while travelling and it'd be safer than hitch-hiking on the road.

As I don't know anyone who uses it, I'm not sure it's not a scam. Can anyone reccommend it?
And also, I wonder: if it is free, how do they monetize from it? Do you think it's safe?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Lucrezia

Reactions: wizehop

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Lucrezia

Reaction score
Hi etpyh thanks for your reply!
I already know blabla car, but they have like 10% commissions, and now I want to save as much money as possible.
It seems this app notaxi offers same service for free, you can decide the price and see if someone accepts it.
It's also pretty easy to use but I don't know if I should trust them as it's not as popular as blabla car

Lucrezia

Reaction score
Trains are incredibly cheap in Spain - how about that ? safer than hitching.... Unless you want that random element associated with entering a strangers car..........
Actually the cheapest option would be the bus, but the trip is super long, already experienced 12 hours from south to north of italy - no more thanks :)
By car is way faster and more confortable especially when you carry some stuff... I wanted to try with a car sharing app because it's safer than on the road: everything is tracked, they have name, email address etc.

E

etpyh

I already know blabla car, but they have like 10% commissions, and now I want to save as much money as possible.
Didn't know that. The german version blablacar.de is free but they don't have as many ride offer for spain. I always thought that all blablacar sites have the same offers.
But even with 10% it shouldn't be too expensive.

roguetrader

Reaction score
Hey Lucrezia have you met anyone on the English vehicle travelling scene in Barca ? - there used to be a few sites in the industrial area of Badalona.... Why I say this is a lot of people go back and forth between Barcelona and the big travellers site at El Moreon near Orgiva which as you may know is in the Alpujarras area of Andalucia ; the area you wanna get to... perhaps you could find a safe ride that way ? some of your countrymen might know where the sites are - I recall the English & Italians free party rigs used to park together in Badalona, enjoying their shared love for tekno and ketamine ! Good luck and if you get to the south be sure to check out the Orgiva area if you looking to meet fellow travelling types...... wish Iwas back in Barca, one of my favourite cities

Lucrezia

Reaction score
Hey Lucrezia have you met anyone on the English vehicle travelling scene in Barca ? - there used to be a few sites in the industrial area of Badalona.... Why I say this is a lot of people go back and forth between Barcelona and the big travellers site at El Moreon near Orgiva which as you may know is in the Alpujarras area of Andalucia ; the area you wanna get to... perhaps you could find a safe ride that way ? some of your countrymen might know where the sites are - I recall the English & Italians free party rigs used to park together in Badalona, enjoying their shared love for tekno and ketamine ! Good luck and if you get to the south be sure to check out the Orgiva area if you looking to meet fellow travelling types...... wish Iwas back in Barca, one of my favourite cities

I don't know anyone in Badalona, but I'll ask my friends, maybe they do! Thanks a lot for your advice, I was already thinking about going to Orgiva, I've heard nice things about that place :)

uniparemassilmas

Reaction score
I have hitchhiked in Catalonia twice: from Barcelona to north. Once with one guy, once alone. It's not as fast as german, or Austria or any other similar countries, but doable. Unfortunatley have no experience with Spainish part, but my friends have done it. Are you in facebook? Maybe you can find someone to hitchhike with in these groups:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hitchhikersworldwide/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hitchhiketribe/ there are more of course, but I use these.

Check also http://hitchwiki.org/en/Spain

Oh, and if you have some questions more about solo traveling in Europe, feel free to contact me, as I have traveled by hitchhiking alone in 8 countries. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads