"Hit The Road" Hobo Symbol Tattoo I got in Fiji (1 Viewer)

TayNZ

Kiwi Vagabond
Current Location
On the move, New Zealand
img_20190625_101201_740-jpg.52271_"Hit The Road" Hobo Symbol Tattoo I got in Fiji_Art & Music_Squat the Planet_11:56 PM

My First Tattoo that I got when I was black out drunk in Fiji a couple weeks ago. Found some guy on the beach who was a tattoo artist and got it done in a Hotel room with a few other friends I met. Was a fucked up night. Now im trying to decide on my next tattoo.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

roughdraft

~
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
maryland
thas actually pretty cool

you picked a good place to start because those parts hurt like boiling water

sidenote your first is your least painful, get ready to learn jow to meditate or whine groan and tap out! kidding

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Porto Pt
FYI: That symbol means "Hit the road" in the sense of "Get out of here fast!", like "This is a bad place- flee for your life!", not "Hit the road" in the sense of "Go wandering and have Dean Moriarty style epic adventures". That's why the alternate sign with the same meaning you will sometimes see in these "Hobo Signs" things is a stylized dude running away (from danger).

It is a warning for future hobos passing that way- like you would put it on the fence of a house where they set the dogs on you when you asked for food, or shot at you or whatever.

You are telling folks to get away from you.

Last edited:

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
FYI: That symbol means "Hit the road" in the sense of "Get out of here fast!", like "This is a bad place- flee for your life!", not "Hit the road" in the sense of "Go wandering and have Dean Moriarty style epic adventures". That's why the alternate sign with the same meaning you will sometimes see in these "Hobo Signs" things is a stylized dude running away (from danger).

It is a warning for future hobos passing that way- like you would put it on the fence of a house where they set the dogs on you when you asked for food, or shot at you or whatever.

I had assumed op knew this and had it done as a tongue in cheek kinda thing. I'm well aware of the meaning of mine and I'd like to think folks who recognize em get the humor in it.

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Porto Pt
Oh, the irony! Now i get it.

Probably i should put the sign for "Ill-Tempered Man Lives Here" in front of my house. No ironic intentions whatever.

May actually do this- it's only fair to others.

I already have this on my front door:

no-traders-jpg.52277_"Hit The Road" Hobo Symbol Tattoo I got in Fiji_Art & Music_Squat the Planet_10:24 AM

It works- as i was opening my door to ask "Can't you fucking people fucking read?" to some Jehovah's Witnesses, they started apologizing and saying "we didn't notice the sign til after we knocked. Sorry!" They have never been back since.

OP
TayNZ

TayNZ

Kiwi Vagabond
Current Location
On the move, New Zealand

I got it in the hopes those in the know would see the humour in it. It should stop people approaching my antisocial ass.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
I'd be willing to wager you're completely safe from every >50-year-old Yankee hobo with the faintest idea what that even signifies

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Porto Pt
Beware of four dogs. That's.. so specific.
At the risk of missing the young peoples' irony again, the idea is you write in how many dogs (there is a "4" in the sign). You could write in 3 (in case you had a "Three Dog Night" (shitty '70s rock reference, for you kids going "Huh?")), or 2 , or 5 as needed.

This could be warning for a person who can outrun or fight off only so many dogs- like a person might be confident they could outrun or fight off x, but not y, number of dogs?

Personally, i would care if they were mean dogs like my 15 lb. cockapoo, or nice ones like my 80 lb. pit-girl.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
In my full of shit sometimes opinion there is no proof of the hobo symbol system ever being practically used by hobos historically or presently. Unless it was pre photography, has any one ever seen photographic evidence of actual hobo symbols?

Regardless, cool tattoo, exact same spot my cousin just gave me my up side down peace sign!!!

roughdraft

~
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
maryland
In my full of shit sometimes opinion there is no proof of the hobo symbol system ever being practically used by hobos historically or presently. Unless it was pre photography, has any one ever seen photographic evidence of actual hobo symbols?

Regardless, cool tattoo, exact same spot my cousin just gave me my up side down peace sign!!!
does the upsidedown peace sign have a particular meaning for you?

Engineer J Lupo

the most derailingest mod.
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
I tend to believe you're right about that. Or if it was a thing, it wasn't something every hobo used or understood. It seems more likely something someone made up whilst putting together a book, maybe something the author wanted to manifest into the culture just to be "the guy who came up with the code" kinda like when you read the less popular urban dictionary definitions below the common ones. Someone trying to take credit and change the vernacular but it never takes off because the common one is better and theirs is dumb. Just my opinion, shit idk. Maybe there was a code.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
It means I don't believe in peace on earth, it's not a thing, never was, and will never happen. Only my casual opinion though, thats about as existential as I tend to get on the subject.

I randomly got the tattoo because my aunt, uncle and cousin all got it in the same spot as a family crest. I said "I'll get one if it could be upside down because I don'treally believe in peace." and they said "neither do we!" which is so funny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?
I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.
Happy :) 8 more days till my babe is out <3
2800 k this past week or so on teh vespa!ODIN give me a medal !
Scooped up some dirty kids from the USA at walmart. Glad we caught ya's and had some time to party before you headed out. Safe travels Sasha and Meaghan! You're fucking awesome!
Lovely, and greasy... duh
Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!

Members online