Hiking the AT

D

Deleted member 7149

Hello everyone! My name is Jeff. Im originally from Maine, but now live in SC. I love travelling, hiking and camping. I am planning to hike the whole AT soon (from Georgia to Maine). I don't want to do it alone though. Anyone who is interested or can give me info about a thru hike would be awesome!

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
I did springer mtn in ga to Damascus, va solo. It would be nice to have a hiking buddy, but only to split some of the weight. I prefer hiking solo unless I've a buddy to split gear with and doesn't mind hiking separate all day and meeting up at a specific location that night. You'll meet other hikers along the way. If you're thru-hiking nobo, I'd suggest heading out very soon, because when you hit the Whites in Vermont and New Hampshire shit gets a little crazy. You're then above tree line and you're fucked if all you have is a hammock. I did it with a tarp but its very different above the tree line. Good luck man and pm me if you have any other questions.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah you're too late to start a NOBO unless you can do 20-25mi every day. I'd look into starting in Maine for a SOBO in june or waiting until next year.

D

Deleted member 7149

Yeah you're too late to start a NOBO unless you can do 20-25mi every day. I'd look into starting in Maine for a SOBO in june or waiting until next year.
Thats what I was thinking. It takes like 6 months to hike it and they close Most of the trail in Maine at the beginning of oct. Thanks!

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
I did springer mtn in ga to Damascus, va solo. It would be nice to have a hiking buddy, but only to split some of the weight. I prefer hiking solo unless I've a buddy to split gear with and doesn't mind hiking separate all day and meeting up at a specific location that night. You'll meet other hikers along the way. If you're thru-hiking nobo, I'd suggest heading out very soon, because when you hit the Whites in Vermont and New Hampshire shit gets a little crazy. You're then above tree line and you're fucked if all you have is a hammock. I did it with a tarp but its very different above the tree line. Good luck man and pm me if you have any other questions.

Are you the dharma bum that was on "Appalacian Impressions"?

For the third time I've had to postpone my section hike Springer ----> Fontana Dam, NC

So now it's gonna be June 1st before I'm out and it's gonna be hot as hell... Fuck. Been leaving since March :/

dharma bum

Reaction score
Are you the dharma bum that was on "Appalacian Impressions"?

No. My trail name is Japhy. I originally only intended to go from Springer mtn GA to Hot Springs NC to meet a buddy. He ended up leaving while I was still in TN so I ended up being a river guide on the French broad (or was it the pigeon river?... can't remember I've worked both) for a couple of weeks allowing me to restock on gear and make some cash to keep going. I made it to Damascus VA.

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
No. My trail name is Japhy. I originally only intended to go from Springer mtn GA to Hot Springs NC to meet a buddy. He ended up leaving while I was still in TN so I ended up being a river guide on the French broad (or was it the pigeon river?... can't remember I've worked both) for a couple of weeks allowing me to restock on gear and make some cash to keep going. I made it to Damascus VA.

Cool.. I live near the Ocoee River.

dharma bum

Reaction score
It's going to be pretty hot if you wait much longer. Bring plenty of things to carry water in. That and food are most important. Since you'll be burning 5,000+ calories a day, it's good to keep your food at about 100 cal/per oz of food. Keeps your pack weight down too.

jrock

Reaction score
I am feeling pretty confident. I have re-up'd on gear, and have quite a bit of outdoors experience. I appreciate the advice though. It is getting sticky soon. But, I am used to feeling hot and gross... Its kinda my thing. Any other tips are more than welcome. Especially places, things, Friends, etc. The info and networking is what this is all about....

dharma bum

Reaction score
A 2012 or 2013 AT thru-hiker's companion (I think that's what they're called) will be a great tool to have. It'll tell you almost everything you really need to know... where the nearest town(and how far away and what the town offers, like restaurants, postal places, hostels, laundry, etc.), water source, shelter, and other valuable notes and how far everything is from where you are.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads