Highway tattoo

Batsy

Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
I remember hearing somewhere that if a traveler is gonna get a tattoo of a highway, they’re supposed to earn it by reaching a certain number of miles traveled first. Someone I met on the road encouraged me to not worry about other people’s rules for what to get inked or not. But if there’s a common number of miles people usually think of as having earned a highway tattoo, then I feel like looking forward to reaching that number and rewarding myself once I do by getting a tattoo would be fun.

So I’m wondering, how many miles do most travelers consider having “earned” a highway tattoo?

Thx!

ali

Reaction score
Don't let gatekeepers decide for you what you choose to do with your body. It's your skin, and you are the one that will live with it the rest of your life. If you want a tattoo of a highway, just get one. Anyone who gives you shit about it because of some made-up rule is just being an ass and not worth your time.

Of course, if you want to wait till you feel like you achieved something first and then get a tattoo as a reward for yourself, that's fine too. Personally i consider objective metrics (distance traveled, number of years, number of countries) kinda boring. I don't much care to keep track of those things because i don't think that's what makes journeys interesting. For me it's more about what happened along the way. If something significant happened that moved you or changed you, maybe that's the moment to think about getting a tattoo to commemorate it.

croc

Reaction score
Set your own goals.

Avoid people who give u requirements for what u put on ur own body bc at the end of the day they're insecure and unhappy with themselves or else they wouldn't be concerned about wtf u put on urself.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i've never heard of this "requirement"? must be a new thing. like others have said though, this sounds like silly gatekeeping.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You can only get that tattoo if you've successfully hitched to Hell and made it back alive.

Same goes for the train tracks. You have to be in the Honolulu Double-stack club before you can even THINK about putting it in ink.

Also, please...and I'm pleading with you here...dont ever get them on your face...but if you choose to...please let it be one or the other. Not both. Especially if they are to replace your eyebrows.

• Haha
Reactions: Batsy and Forth

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
if thats what your crew says to do you gotta follow their rules!!! (if it means anything to them)

If that's what your crew says then you should leave that crew because that crew sounds lame as fuck. What even is a crew? Is that a thing? I've met a fucking shit ton of travelers and nobody has ever mentioned any crews. I remember graffiti had crews, but travelers? Well I guess there's The Amalgamated Brotherhood of Autorack Riders but that's different. Are there actually crews? Am I being left out of the loop?

born2raizehell

owen mooney
Reaction score
If that's what your crew says then you should leave that crew because that crew sounds lame as fuck. What even is a crew? Is that a thing? I've met a fucking shit ton of travelers and nobody has ever mentioned any crews. I remember graffiti had crews, but travelers? Well I guess there's The Amalgamated Brotherhood of Autorack Riders but that's different. Are there actually crews? Am I being left out of the loop?

yea theres traveling crews that make rules especially about who can hop on what part of a line, and if they dont like you theyll try to steal your shit! if you got a group you travel with you got a crew...

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
yea theres traveling crews that make rules especially about who can hop on what part of a line

That sounds like some made up shit to me. Like I can totally envision some dumbasses trying to flex like that on some inexperienced riders perhaps, but I just have a really had time believing there's crews of riders out there policing lines and telling people "Sorry pal, this line is ours". How do you even police a line if you're traveling? Sounds like some no-life tweaker homebums who don't even travel just talkin out the side of their necks at some gullible youngsters to me.

@croc You travel a lot, you ever heard of or experienced any of this silly goose shit before? Are these those corny "gearless and fearless" kids?

born2raizehell

owen mooney
Reaction score
That sounds like some made up shit to me. Like I can totally envision some dumbasses trying to flex like that on some inexperienced riders perhaps, but I just have a really had time believing there's crews of riders out there policing lines and telling people "Sorry pal, this line is ours". How do you even police a line if you're traveling? Sounds like some no-life tweaker homebums who don't even travel just talkin out the side of their necks at some gullible youngsters to me.

@croc You travel a lot, you ever heard of or experienced any of this silly goose shit before? Are these those corny "gearless and fearless" kids?

on dogs, theres groups of travelers under the jurisdiction of scum fuc family who would earn you tattoos, and then the obviously freight train riders of america/association which I guess has a code as well. theres hobos who will stalk you on the trains and fuck you up in the next city you get to if they dont like you riding the lines, they might even throw you off!

• Dislike
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
on dogs, theres groups of travelers under the jurisdiction of scum fuc family who would earn you tattoos, and then the obviously freight train riders of america/association which I guess has a code as well. theres hobos who will stalk you on the trains and fuck you up in the next city you get to if they dont like you riding the lines, they might even throw you off!

No offense, but this post basically proves that you don't know what your talking about. FTRA hasn't been around for a very long time. You're just parroting things you've heard.

This goes against our policy in the Guide to StP:

"Do not give advice on topics you have no experience with"

Doing so just perpetuates rumors and only harms the community.

born2raizehell

owen mooney
Reaction score
No offense, but this post basically proves that you don't know what your talking about. FTRA hasn't been around for a very long time. You're just parroting things you've heard.

This goes against our policy in the Guide to StP:

"Do not give advice on topics you have no experience with"

Doing so just perpetuates rumors and only harms the community.

I asked my buddy whose been traveling for a long time... but if you say so!! I might just have a different perspective in the world since I respect authority of a group of train riders instead of church and the state!

• Meh
Reactions: Joey Garbanzo

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
as an anarchist

I might just have a different perspective in the world since I respect authority of a group of train riders

You definitely have a different perspective on a few things it seems. You're speaking in oxymoron. I'll be the first to admit I don't know a shit ton about anarchism but just on a very basic level isn't it more or less about not being down with hierarchy and authority/power? Aren't anarchists more into shit like equality than hierarchy?

How do you say you're an anarchist and then in the same breathe say you respect some made up "authority" of a group of train riders? A group of train riders who police lines that nobody else seems to even know about? Only citing the FTRA as an example. That shit isn't around anymore and it hasn't been relevant in decades. Someone's been feeding you some very outdated information dawg. You're tellin ghost stories basically.

I knew an old FTRA guy(who was probably one of the younger FTRA guys) and he was in his 50's back in 2004 and by no means claimed to be active anymore he was retired AF and died before even reaching 60. Those guys don't live forever, and even if they did how old would most of them be right now? 88 years old? 93 years old? Just out there still runnin shit huh?

FTRAbeSimpson.png

You do realize that any person younger than about 70 years old that you've come across that claims to be part of the FTRA is basically just like that goofy white kid in 7th grade that wore all blue and claimed to be a crip, right?

born2raizehell

owen mooney
Reaction score
You definitely have a different perspective on a few things it seems. You're speaking in oxymoron. I'll be the first to admit I don't know a shit ton about anarchism but just on a very basic level isn't it more or less about not being down with hierarchy and authority/power? Aren't anarchists more into shit like equality than hierarchy?

How do you say you're an anarchist and then in the same breathe say you respect some made up "authority" of a group of train riders? A group of train riders who police lines that nobody else seems to even know about? Only citing the FTRA as an example. That shit isn't around anymore and it hasn't been relevant in decades. Someone's been feeding you some very outdated information dawg. You're tellin ghost stories basically.

I knew an old FTRA guy(who was probably one of the younger FTRA guys) and he was in his 50's back in 2004 and by no means claimed to be active anymore he was retired AF and died before even reaching 60. Those guys don't live forever, and even if they did how old would most of them be right now? 88 years old? 93 years old? Just out there still runnin shit huh?

View attachment 69418

You do realize that any person younger than about 70 years old that you've come across that claims to be part of the FTRA is basically just like that goofy white kid in 7th grade that wore all blue and claimed to be a crip, right?

sorry to be the opposite in opinion here. I will ask around more about the FTRA and see if theyre still around. my info is based in online research as much as word around travelers. obviously you know people travel in groups!! I dont mean to disagree with your knowledge on the topic so I wont go on about it. just know with a wink we all got a different experience there in.

Joe Btfsplk

Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

An offshoot of the FTRA, known as the Blood Bound Railroad Gang, distinguishes themselves by wearing red bandanas, as opposed to the FTRA's black bandanas.

In 2011, Gus Melonas, a spokesman for the BNSF, said the "FTRA and associated act of riding and living on the rails have gone largely extinct."

At article's end, a list of books, TV episodes et al are given.

I've thought the FTRA were passe as Lupo implies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Anyone can edit that Wikipedia page and attempt to make their little wannabe Facebook group seem relevant or somehow associated to the FTRA(which is hella obsolete). I can go on there and edit in "The Tough Guy Whites Only Supertramp Wrecking Crew" and note their affiliation to the FTRA but that doesn't make it relevant. I can make a facebook group for it but that doesn't make it relevant. And that's basically all that John Burns AKA Crazy Cooter has done with that shit. He's even lightweight stealing the BBCRC notoriety by choosing the acronym BBRC(Blood Bound Railroad Club). That's clearly calculated AF, it's no coincidence.

He's also one of those stolen valor dudes that claims to be a veteran but he wasn't ever even in the military. I'm by no means down with the military but I think stealing valor is pretty lame. There's better ways to fly signs, you don't gotta lie. But saying you were in the military makes you sound tough right? In the same way he's stolen valor, he's also stolen the traincore tough guy bad boy reputation of the FTRA. Also definitely seen him post some racist shit in the past. And who's his roaddog? None other than everyone's favorite volunteer police informant Hobo Shoestring.

Shocking news? Here's a very interesting blog he wrote about the time he volunteered to wear a wire to get a dude sent to prison for selling weed so that the police would give him enough money to take a plane out of Alaska in true first class hobo style. He deleted that blog but the web archive forgets nothing. All I'm saying is the guy who's trying to make that "gang" relevant is a shitty person, he's got shitty ideologies and he runs with shitty people. It only does him a favor to claim that his little facebook trainrider club is valid in any way whatsoever.

I just think if anyone's looking up to these guys, they're really just looking up to posers. That "gang" is not relevant. I've met hundreds of riders and I've never ever heard a single story about any of them being told they can't ride a certain line because they're not attuned with some made up train gang that supposedly owns trackage rights. The only actual gang on the railroad are the bulls. I don't have any respect for their authority but they're the only gang who has any authority on the rails. That's just facts.

Reactions: Coywolf

croc

Reaction score

Nah never heard that but I don't rly hang out w ppl who just hitch/walk. Sounds like some annoying ass kids who would say that tho

@Batsy to echo what Matt said, FTRA isn't rly a thing anymore tho there's a couple of them still alive I think? and scum fucks haven't been a thing in a long time either. Most of those kids are prob dead from cirrhosis and ODing.

Ur info is regurgitated and inaccurate like in a way that makes me wonder who even told u all that was it an old timer who's just out of touch??

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads