Hey guys. Another Newbie here (1 Viewer)

RedDeath99

Lurker
Current Location
London
I'm 20yrs old. I've done a bit of research on my own for few months but haven't any experience expect for some minor camping. My plan is to head to Europe and travel til i find a place worth staying at. Im definitely in search of a traveling buddy to accompany me along the way or visa i don't really have a final destinition just yet. All advice and knowledge is welcomed

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Shaggy Rogers

Current Location
Dawsonville,GA
Being as youre wanting a european tour, itll be easy enough. America has too many "tresspassing illegal" places. Just be smart. Welcome.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Europe is high on my list of places to explore. Is there anything in particular you want to see? Are you planning on hitchhiking or some other mode? When do you think you will go?

OP
RedDeath99

RedDeath99

Lurker
Current Location
London
Europe is high on my list of places to explore. Is there anything in particular you want to see? Are you planning on hitchhiking or some other mode? When do you think you will go?
Honest cant wait to see big ben in person lol. I plan on doing any and all mode thats possible def want to hop a few trains for the thrill. Middle of Nov is when im setting off on my journey

Faceplant

Mmmm . . . Taste the Ballast!
StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
Folks from the U.K. mostly say they cannot imagine hopping freight over there. Better get your fill here first.

roguetrader

Wanderer
Current Location
Exeter, United Kingdom
if you're camping mid November onwards in Europe you're gonna have to go as far South as you can and quickly - coz the weather in France and Northern Spain will very likely be just as shitty as England - if you want actual regular sunshine we're talking all the way to the bottom of Europe i.e the Algarve in Portugal, South Coast of Spain, the end of Italy... I really can't stress this enough, especially if you're in a tent - as an alternative what about hitting a city with a good alternative scene and making some squatter friends - e.g Toulouse, Barcelona, possibly Berlin...

also as far as I know train hopping isn't really a thing in Europe - people do it occasionally as a stunt or a one off experience, but it's not a well developed scene like it is in the States and Canada.... I'm not saying it's impossible, it would be great if train hopping became a reality in Europe, but other than a few YouTube videos I'm not aware of much information available to get you started - maybe you could blaze the trail !

one form of free train riding that is widespread in Europe is 'bunking the train' which involves getting on a passenger train with no ticket / cheap local ticket and staying on til you get ejected - frequently the conductors in France and Spain just roll their eyes and give you a chit that says you gotta pay at a later date....

OP
RedDeath99

RedDeath99

Lurker
Current Location
London
if you're camping mid November onwards in Europe you're gonna have to go as far South as you can and quickly - coz the weather in France and Northern Spain will very likely be just as shitty as England - if you want actual regular sunshine we're talking all the way to the bottom of Europe i.e the Algarve in Portugal, South Coast of Spain, the end of Italy... I really can't stress this enough, especially if you're in a tent - as an alternative what about hitting a city with a good alternative scene and making some squatter friends - e.g Toulouse, Barcelona, possibly Berlin...

also as far as I know train hopping isn't really a thing in Europe - people do it occasionally as a stunt or a one off experience, but it's not a well developed scene like it is in the States and Canada.... I'm not saying it's impossible, it would be great if train hopping became a reality in Europe, but other than a few YouTube videos I'm not aware of much information available to get you started - maybe you could blaze the trail !

one form of free train riding that is widespread in Europe is 'bunking the train' which involves getting on a passenger train with no ticket / cheap local ticket and staying on til you get ejected - frequently the conductors in France and Spain just roll their eyes and give you a chit that says you gotta pay at a later date....
The plan is to head south as soon as i get there due to the weather. And i most deff plan i making some squatter friends when i go through cities because ik full well. Finding a place to sqaut in gonna be difficult

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SusanahOfGilead Introductions 53
nickd03 Introductions 9
B Introductions 2
LucidDreams Introductions 1
U Introductions 11

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

new bucket list. the national parks. all of them
Trying to hitch out this week!!
Need ride today from Vegas to Reno will help with gas
Headed to seattle soon lets hope the trains aren't too cold.
I caught a fucking cold at 2AM this morning, still sleepless...

I'm the Chairman of the Board.
MFB wrote on slaapkaamers's profile.
I hosted Lilith/@slaapkaamers for 3 nights in Nov 19.
She was an exemplary guest. Good w both conversing and alone time. Trustworthy, didnt steal anything and I felt very comfortable leaving her alone at my place. She didnt stink and not a junky.
Lilith is a legit traveller, she's a sweet, artistic chick w lots of good and interesting ideas to chat about. A pleasure to host. If she's in your neck of the woods you should help her out. 😉
I have a pretty good new squat in sfe but im leaving soon if anyone wants the keys lmk.

Staff online