IMG_20180713_124620.jpg
IMG_20180713_124606.jpg

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
edited the title of this thread to be more descriptive. also added the 'photos' prefix, since, you know, it has a ton of photos in it.

Dameon

Reaction score
Looks like a nice boat. A roller furling is nice to have, just be sure to maintain the drum and keep it oiled, and know what you're going to do if it gets stuck in high winds (pretty much just cut it free and say goodbye to the sail).

D

deleted17310

Fuhk I wish I had the roller furler. Mine is the og wire furler. A pain in the ass for sure but it sure is nice to be able to reef the jib

Dameon

Reaction score
Fuhk I wish I had the roller furler. Mine is the og wire furler. A pain in the ass for sure but it sure is nice to be able to reef the jib
Reefing using a furler is alright in low winds, but in high winds it actually unbalances the boat because a smaller jib would have the foot of the sail down low to the deck, where one that's been reefed with a furler the foot is higher up the more you reef. This means the point where the wind is hitting your boat is higher up, making you heel over more than you would otherwise. It's better to have at least one more, smaller jib that you can switch to for heavy weather.

D

deleted17310

For now I only have 2jibs with this one in a heavy blow I've been carrying less sail area and using a whisper pole to keep the foot down and have also been experimenting in different places to hang my blocks I have these really nice double openers that you can hang from stanchions and shrouds. The other jib is great downwind in a light breeze but way overpowered for the boat most days. I'd like a set of storm sails but for now I go to the deep reef on the main and run out 1\2 the jib. Also the boat is really heavy in the ass due to the outboard so I've found having some sail out front is essential for stability and control. At least in my situation

Dameon

Reaction score
Having the inboard going is a good goal...you don't have to worry as much about cavitation, or the outboard getting swamped. Good to have both, so you still have a motor if one or the other goes out.

Dameon

Reaction score
Sit on top, hopefully...the other ones aren't so much for the water. Have a line to keep your paddles hooked to your kayak or you. It's way easy to lose your paddle then have to jump off after it, and that's a mess you don't want to deal with.

Might be a good idea to have a tender that can take another person in it for when you're at anchor and have crew aboard. You can usually find an old Avon inflatable around for cheap; they're easy to patch and pretty bulletproof.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Been awhile. Just wondering how boat life is treatin ya? I am still holding out for the right boat and would love to learn from your trials and tribulations and any advice you want to give, from what you've learned

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads