Photos Here's my boat, the 'happy adventure'

Dameon

Hobo
Current Location
Northern California
Looks like a nice boat. A roller furling is nice to have, just be sure to maintain the drum and keep it oiled, and know what you're going to do if it gets stuck in high winds (pretty much just cut it free and say goodbye to the sail).

OP
dontpanic

dontpanic

Vagabond
Current Location
On The Path
Fuhk I wish I had the roller furler. Mine is the og wire furler. A pain in the ass for sure but it sure is nice to be able to reef the jib

Dameon

Hobo
Current Location
Northern California
Fuhk I wish I had the roller furler. Mine is the og wire furler. A pain in the ass for sure but it sure is nice to be able to reef the jib
Reefing using a furler is alright in low winds, but in high winds it actually unbalances the boat because a smaller jib would have the foot of the sail down low to the deck, where one that's been reefed with a furler the foot is higher up the more you reef. This means the point where the wind is hitting your boat is higher up, making you heel over more than you would otherwise. It's better to have at least one more, smaller jib that you can switch to for heavy weather.

OP
dontpanic

dontpanic

Vagabond
Current Location
On The Path
For now I only have 2jibs with this one in a heavy blow I've been carrying less sail area and using a whisper pole to keep the foot down and have also been experimenting in different places to hang my blocks I have these really nice double openers that you can hang from stanchions and shrouds. The other jib is great downwind in a light breeze but way overpowered for the boat most days. I'd like a set of storm sails but for now I go to the deep reef on the main and run out 1\2 the jib. Also the boat is really heavy in the ass due to the outboard so I've found having some sail out front is essential for stability and control. At least in my situation

Dameon

Hobo
Current Location
Northern California
It's a good idea to keep a line tied to that outboard, speaking of it. I've heard of people losing their outboards in rough seas.

OP
dontpanic

dontpanic

Vagabond
Current Location
On The Path
There is a cable on there but I'd really like to get the inboard diesel going. Bad rings its gonna take the monies

Dameon

Hobo
Current Location
Northern California
Having the inboard going is a good goal...you don't have to worry as much about cavitation, or the outboard getting swamped. Good to have both, so you still have a motor if one or the other goes out.

Dameon

Hobo
Current Location
Northern California
Sit on top, hopefully...the other ones aren't so much for the water. Have a line to keep your paddles hooked to your kayak or you. It's way easy to lose your paddle then have to jump off after it, and that's a mess you don't want to deal with.

Might be a good idea to have a tender that can take another person in it for when you're at anchor and have crew aboard. You can usually find an old Avon inflatable around for cheap; they're easy to patch and pretty bulletproof.

iamwhatiam

Mossback
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
Been awhile. Just wondering how boat life is treatin ya? I am still holding out for the right boat and would love to learn from your trials and tribulations and any advice you want to give, from what you've learned

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

I have a day/night to kill in the Bay Area if anyone is bored.
its friday. someone has your lunch money in their pocket... its time to get down!!!
schmutz wrote on highwayman's profile.
Happy Birthday!
Don't touch it. STOP fucking touching it! - Facebook
I always wanted to do something fun like go on another road trip Hop a Train I am anxious to just leave but I don`t want to do this by my self & I Don`t have any friends with same interestI am tired of getting up going to work and coming home and stareing at walls I like classic rock 60`s 70`s 80`s 90`s If I listed all my groups it would be long list arts and crafts puzzles movies concerts festivals camping books
Good morning to the world; thank you for being kind to me today.
what a great day to be sober.
off to busk in Galway city, ireland
Go to Savannah, seek out and sneak on a Q037, head over to Jacksonville, take Amtrak back to Savannah, problem solved!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
yacbo