Helpful video by Skurka

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
The video is rather lengthy but Skurka covers everything from taking care of wet feet to how to make your own stove and what to bring. It has some good information for people who have no idea what they're doing. He's not a hitchhiker or trainhopper, so don't follow him word for word. It's just a video to give you an idea of what there is to bring and depending on your personal preference, you can take it from there. Hope this helps whoever needs it

Last edited:

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
Didn't get very far into the video. This guy is full of shit, I carried around eighty pounds of crap when I was green. It made me hate my life.

Here is what I carry. Im still alive.

Milsurp goretex bivvy bag & sleeping bag
1 gal water jug
Socks
1 shirt
Underwear
Dental floss/sewing needle
Banjo
Sketchbook
Welding goggles
Shemagh
Toothpaste & toothbrush
Duct tape and toilet paper
Some other shit that doesnt really add weight

The gear your bring is a very personal thing but generally people bring way more shit than they ever use and throw out 88% of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal and skillpore

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
I don't think you should carry everything this guy lists... It's supposed to give people an idea of different things to bring and what to keep in mind when traveling. If you have no idea what you're doing, I certainly think it helps. Just because he carries all of that stuff doesn't mean the rest of us should... Like for example, the information on wet feet and stove was good, but things like the satellite locater is not something worth buying. He says in the video all of the equipment depends on what kind of traveling you're going to be doing and where... They chose a certain scenario and explained gear for that scenario which is why not everything in the video is relevant. He's obviously not a trainhopper or a hitchhiker, so you can't take his advice on everything, but he is a traveler with a lot of experience and it's worth just hearing him out. He says repeatedly to not carry too much weight as well and nobody in this video said you had to spend a fortune...

If you want to spend a fortune, and carry ALOT OF WEIGHT. You wont make it very far following this guy.

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
Didn't get very far into the video. This guy is full of shit, I carried around eighty pounds of crap when I was green. It made me hate my life.

Here is what I carry. Im still alive.

Milsurp goretex bivvy bag & sleeping bag
1 gal water jug
Socks
1 shirt
Underwear
Dental floss/sewing needle
Banjo
Sketchbook
Welding goggles
Shemagh
Toothpaste & toothbrush
Duct tape and toilet paper
Some other shit that doesnt really add weight

The gear your bring is a very personal thing but generally people bring way more shit than they ever use and throw out 88% of it.

You're very right that it is a personal decision on what gear people bring. I should have clarified myself, this is a guide to give people an idea of what there is to bring and what works for HIM as an experienced traveler. I don't think Skurka is trying to tell people this is exactly what everybody needs. If you would have finished the video, you would see that he says that it depends on the situation and personal preference. They just chose one scenario to talk about in terms of gear. He's not a hitchhiker or trainhopper so some of the info is not relevant... I thought that was obvious when I was watching the video, but I guess I can't make that assumption for everybody. The video is supposed to give people ideas, not tell them what to do. He says to pack light in the video as well, but again, that is a personal decision. Something light for him is not going to be light for me, which is why I'm not taking a lot of the stuff he mentioned.

Also, people need to do more research than just watch this video. If someone chooses only to watch this video as guidance then that's their fault. I'm just trying to add more resources to this site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odin

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
You're very right that it is a personal decision on what gear people bring. I should have clarified myself, this is a guide to give people an idea of what there is to bring and what works for HIM as an experienced traveler. I don't think Skurka is trying to tell people this is exactly what everybody needs. If you would have finished the video, you would see that he says that it depends on the situation and personal preference. They just chose one scenario to talk about in terms of gear. He's not a hitchhiker or trainhopper so some of the info is not relevant... I thought that was obvious when I was watching the video, but I guess I can't make that assumption for everybody. The video is supposed to give people ideas, not tell them what to do. He says to pack light in the video as well, but again, that is a personal decision. Something light for him is not going to be light for me, which is why I'm not taking a lot of the stuff he mentioned.

Also, people need to do more research than just watch this video. If someone chooses only to watch this video as guidance then that's their fault. I'm just trying to add more resources to this site.

My comment was pretty harsh, I'm sorry. I wasn't criticising you and your contribution is appreciated. I'm just saying there's no way your average hitchhiker or trainhopper would want to carry around 88lbs of stuff.

Paging @highwayman, want to chime in?

D

Deleted member 20

Hey @zim. I sure as hell aint carrying that much gear around. In the winter with my insulated coveralls, insulated boots, sub zero sleep system it gets heavy enough & limits mobility a bunch. Now some of those items I can wear some places & sweat buckets & have to carry sometimes (insulated coveralls) so often I drape over my shoulders or bungee to the outside of my pack in warm places but is required to wear for survival on an exposed porch speeding along at 60-70 mph. Since the invention of ted talks & youtube type websites there is a how to video on every subject around. People actually film "unboxing" videos showing there new untested fancy items. Be careful since most of the hosts don't shit from shineola.

This video is catered towards yuppie campers. These types of people are the ones who need to continually get airlifted out of wilderness situations. I love when these types go on "Naked & Afraid" without all their fancy expedition gear. They have little to any actual survival skills (in any scenario or situation) & lack the main ingredient to surviving. That is the "WILL". The ability to know when to risk everything & adjust to your situation cant be taught, its a acquired knowledge gained from multiple sources. Using your education, experience & instinct to be able to effectively adapt to your environment is key.

There is often too many planners & not enough doers online. For what ever reason the documentary video 'Long way around" with Ewan McGregor comes to mind what the mindset is at the beginning of a trip. They are very anxious, unskilled & inexperienced but fast forward to the completion they are now hardened travelers who can use the experience to accomplish anything, anywhere. Trial by fire works, so jump into the frying pan with your 88lb pack in the beginning & then fast forward to bit. These yuppies have the luxury of a heated college classroom & the budget for high tech gear but are only going camping for 3-7 days. lol

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
Hey @zim. I sure as hell aint carrying that much gear around. In the winter with my insulated coveralls, insulated boots, sub zero sleep system it gets heavy enough & limits mobility a bunch. Now some of those items I can wear some places & sweat buckets & have to carry sometimes (insulated coveralls) so often I drape over my shoulders or bungee to the outside of my pack in warm places but is required to wear for survival on an exposed porch speeding along at 60-70 mph. Since the invention of ted talks & youtube type websites there is a how to video on every subject around. People actually film "unboxing" videos showing there new untested fancy items. Be careful since most of the hosts don't shit from shineola.

This video is catered towards yuppie campers. These types of people are the ones who need to continually get airlifted out of wilderness situations. I love when these types go on "Naked & Afraid" without all their fancy expedition gear. They have little to any actual survival skills (in any scenario or situation) & lack the main ingredient to surviving. That is the "WILL". The ability to know when to risk everything & adjust to your situation cant be taught, its a acquired knowledge gained from multiple sources. Using your education, experience & instinct to be able to effectively adapt to your environment is key.

There is often too many planners & not enough doers online. For what ever reason the documentary video 'Long way around" with Ewan McGregor comes to mind what the mindset is at the beginning of a trip. They are very anxious, unskilled & inexperienced but fast forward to the completion they are now hardened travelers who can use the experience to accomplish anything, anywhere. Trial by fire works, so jump into the frying pan with your 88lb pack in the beginning & then fast forward to bit. These yuppies have the luxury of a heated college classroom & the budget for high tech gear but are only going camping for 3-7 days. lol

You're right about this too. This video is definitely geared toward a yuppie audience and I should have considered my audience before posting. I still think it has some info to offer, but that info should be taken with critical thinking as well. Newcomers may probably take this as a literal guide and thus, the video may be watched as misleading. I will take down the video later today.

@zim

D

Deleted member 20

I think its content as a video is ok. I would say Leave it up. Especially now that we have been able to comment on it a bit it puts things in context more. There may be people who who get something out of thie video. We surely get yuppies to visit & hopefully we can encourage them to "Torch the White Picket fence". If these people were giving all of this gear away for free on Craigslist I would gladly accept it. Owning something doesn't mean that you gotta carry it or use it all the time. I will go on extended communal camping trips in the multiple weeks & bring different gear then if I was hitching/hopping. If I have a dedicated ride then I will take things like a 3 person tent, full size air mattress, handheld pump, cooking gear, etc, etc, etc

There is a wrench to fit every nut as they say. So some gear is better for certain regions, climates, modes of travel & other more basic gear load will work anywhere like a multitool. This basic gearload I carry will alter based on seasons but most stuff is constant. At somepoint after a few more decades of traveling around maybe I will be so full of myself to develop of video series that really breaks stuff down as to why from my point of view.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads