Hello from Ohio. | Squat the Planet

Hello from Ohio.

RalphMyers

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name's Ralph. I've been lurking for a few weeks. The entire idea of becoming a sort of vagabond has always been kind of residing in my head since my father passed away in February. I have no real family or support group left that hasn't been actively or passively stabbing me in the back financially, so I came here.

My plan is to move out West, hopefully before it gets cold. At the same time, I have no real marketable skills and I don't exactly come off as the rough it type.

The major flaws I've seen that i have relative to most of you are that I'm in a heap of debt and if I make the choice to leave, I'd have no vehicle.

Honestly, i consider myself fortunate since the only real negatives I have going for me are banks-based or an easily severable social tie.

Anyway I just figured I'd give you all my recent life story. Thanks for listening.

Reactions: wizehop
Haaaaaaaaaai.

Welcome to StP, dude!

Honestly, since you don't look like the rough type it's gonna be better on the road, especially if you're hitchhiking. Let's be honest, society will judge you based on your looks, so I would consider it a pro.

Do you plan to work again once you're west? If so, I'd just go before it's cold and you can pay off your debt then. I mean, if you just wanna live though, personally, I'd pay off the debt first. That's just me though, I'd be paranoid in the back of mind of my debt. I've never been in debt though, I consider myself lucky.

If you go into the ride forums, you'll probably find a ride out West, everyone will migrate that way soon.. no one stays on the East for too long once October comes.

rootmyth

Reaction score
Hey brother!

Fellow ohioan here, at least originally, and I just started my own journey a month ago. Aesthetics aren't nearly as important as functionality when you're on the road so just wear/use/travel with things that are going to make you comfortable and give you the upper hand over the elements.

Also, I'm in a heap of debt as well, but you don't need much money to travel. I decided to save up a little before taking off to have as a buffer just in case, but I'm also vandwelling so maintaining my shell is pretty crucial.

Anyway, we're glad to have ya! :)

Reactions: RalphMyers

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Welcome.......

RalphMyers

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome y'all. If i executed on the plan, then yes, i would most likely accept a wage slave job.

My debt is both wanting me to leave and forcing me to stay. On one hand my current situation is shitty as it comes to my job. On the other hand banks can fuck you regardless of your geographic location, but I was optimistic in working under the table.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads