Has anyone plane hopped | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Has anyone plane hopped

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
moved to other forms of travel since this has nothing to do with train hopping.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy Beans

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I could see this being possible but you would be committing so many serious felonies in the process I really don't think it'd be worth the risk. You could forge a boarding pass to get through security and then with a little social engineering slip past the ticket scanner. Definitely seems like something you'd go away for a few years over.

Reactions: Candice

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
Obviously not nowadays, at least not without serious risk or consequences in any developed country or with any major airline.

Anyone remember 'catch me if you can' ? Based on Frank Abagnale's time cashing pan-am checks and posing as a pilot to basically fly all around the world committing fraud

I mean I guess it was probably a hell of a lot easier to be a stowaway even in the 60's and 70's

D

Deleted member 16701

There are a handful of people who have tried to hop planes by climbing up the wheels before they go up with mostly very bad results. You'd have to be a complete moron or extremely extremely desperate to do it, so obviously don't even think about it.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Thomas Walker

Reaction score
I remember I heard a few years ago where some kid made his way onto the tarmac and climbed into the wheel assembly of a passenger airliner. He got lucky that he wasn't crushed when the wheel retracted upon takeoff. During flight, the cabin air pressure is regulated because at those altitudes, the air isn't thick enough to breathe and is incredibly cold. The wheel well is not pressurized, so this kid nearly died in there. The only reason he lived was because the plane had an emergency landing at another airport for an unrelated reason.

Long story short, if you can't get into the cabin, you might as well give up

Reactions: Coywolf and Candice

roughdraft

Reaction score
I remember I heard a few years ago where some kid made his way onto the tarmac and climbed into the wheel assembly of a passenger airliner. He got lucky that he wasn't crushed when the wheel retracted upon takeoff. During flight, the cabin air pressure is regulated because at those altitudes, the air isn't thick enough to breathe and is incredibly cold. The wheel well is not pressurized, so this kid nearly died in there. The only reason he lived was because the plane had an emergency landing at another airport for an unrelated reason.

that's exactly right

related story: there's an illness you can get from high altitude. i think everyone is familiar with the idea of 'high altitude sickness' but one of my good friends almost died this year @19,000 feet. he had this intense pain in his chest and well...it's effectively a potent type of pneumonia that just happens to *some* people at such an altitude and "no one knows why" luckily he got to a hospital in time and got some antibiotics that withdrew the pain very quickly and supposedly saved his life

it's interesting but my point is if you're @30,000 feet you're going to be a lot more likely to get wrecked in a similar fashion. it's why people pack oxygen tanks n shit to Mt Everest. it's also (partly) why you're legally required to have 'porters' and folk all around you if you do a huge ascent like Kilimanjaro (this is where my friend was) anyway the planes fly higher than the highest peaks

i read an article recently where the aircrew FORGOT to pressurize the cabin and half the people in cabin started getting intense nose bleeds and eeeeverybody was trippin out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/business/india-jet-airways-cabin.html

just one of those things most would never consider but it's a physical obstacle that you cannot compete against

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

That is the story I posted above

that's exactly right

related story: there's an illness you can get from high altitude. i think everyone is familiar with the idea of 'high altitude sickness' but one of my good friends almost died this year @19,000 feet. he had this intense pain in his chest and well...it's effectively a potent type of pneumonia that just happens to *some* people at such an altitude and "no one knows why" luckily he got to a hospital in time and got some antibiotics that withdrew the pain very quickly and supposedly saved his life

it's interesting but my point is if you're @30,000 feet you're going to be a lot more likely to get wrecked in a similar fashion. it's why people pack oxygen tanks n shit to Mt Everest. it's also (partly) why you're legally required to have 'porters' and folk all around you if you do a huge ascent like Kilimanjaro (this is where my friend was) anyway the planes fly higher than the highest peaks

i read an article recently where the aircrew FORGOT to pressurize the cabin and half the people in cabin started getting intense nose bleeds and eeeeverybody was trippin out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/business/india-jet-airways-cabin.html

just one of those things most would never consider but it's a physical obstacle that you cannot compete against

That condition is called Altitute related Pulmonary Edema, and it is nothing to fuck with, essentially it is when the lack of 02 in the atmosphere is so little, that fluid accumulates in your lungs from your own cells, and you drown. Only treatment is a hyperbolic chamber at altitute to increase air pressure, or to decend rapidly.

Same thing happens to divers when they come from a huge depth, to the surface, too quickly.

Another awful one is Acute Cerebral Edema, you can guess by the name what that one'll do to you.....

Frypan Meatboots

Reaction score
Has anyone screctly got on a plane is it possible just wondering
Impossible. They know who is occupying every seat on the plane, and you would need to be in carryon luggage, which is the luggage that you bring on the plane, or checked luggage. In that case of being in carry-on luggage, you wouldn't fit because there is a size-limit on these bags. If you were in checked luggage, you are checked in when you arrive at the airport, and handed off to TSA security, where they do security checks and then throw the suitcase onto the plane as cargo. A 150-lb bag would be very suspicious to TSA, and they do x-rays on all the bags anyway whether the bags are carry-on or checked. Sorry.

Candice

Reaction score
Impossible. They know who is occupying every seat on the plane, and you would need to be in carryon luggage, which is the luggage that you bring on the plane, or checked luggage. In that case of being in carry-on luggage, you wouldn't fit because there is a size-limit on these bags. If you were in checked luggage, you are checked in when you arrive at the airport, and handed off to TSA security, where they do security checks and then throw the suitcase onto the plane as cargo. A 150-lb bag would be very suspicious to TSA, and they do x-rays on all the bags anyway whether the bags are carry-on or checked. Sorry.
Yeah true I was just kind of curious about I did reasearch and this 66 yr old woman was obsessed with it kept doing it got caught but got on and flew but when she got off got caught I wouldn’t be willing to risk that

Frypan Meatboots

Reaction score
Yeah true I was just kind of curious about I did reasearch and this 66 yr old woman was obsessed with it kept doing it got caught but got on and flew but when she got off got caught I wouldn’t be willing to risk that
I read that story. She kept doing it. I suppose you could fake your way through TSA by pretending to be someone else. I didn't think of that.

lawnchair

Reaction score
Even if it's possible, it doesn't seem worth it unless for international or really long distance flights and even then, not really. It's a huge risk to take for what would probably be an uncomfortable and anxiety-inducing experience.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
I have never “plane hopped”. But i have “plane hitch hiked” many times in the past. I have my pilots license though, so that may help my whole situation. I have found at least a dozen rides to various places out to about 300 miles away.

Itll near always be the 2nd seat in a 2 seat with someone flying for fun. I have twice found a ride in the 3rd of a 4 seat with a dog as my companion. Those people are usually traveling vs just putsing for hours / fun.

Always offer money for fuel, because you WILL cost them more money than it would cost wihout you (only once has someone accepted fuel money, and they were renting the airplane so i can see why) and small airplanes use a good bit of fuel. Also remember there wont be room for a massive bag, a 30l backpack is probably pushing it in most cases, keep it under 30 lbs of gear.

This may work, it may not. I have only really flown out from two airports i have personally used for training etc, and have found return rides about half the time. The other half of the time i wind up on junk trains and wind up having taken a 3-4 hr ride one way and a 2 day ride back

Make sure you dont smell, because thatll be a definite NO for such close quarters

* Edit * all these rides have been from strangers and only once has it been the same person / airplane

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads