Has anyone ever....... | Squat the Planet

Has anyone ever.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 22934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22934

hiked the appalacian trail? Has anyone hiked it from start to finish, or any part of it?

What about the pacific crest trail?

Has anyone ever done any major long distnce trips outside of a vehicle? If so, I'd love to hear about it... Part of me wonders if Squat the planet would be a good place to see if anyone is down to do it... What do you think

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Was being facetious, really.
There are certainly folks here that have at least hiked parts of those trails and done distance on foot.
I hiked parts of the AT as a young buck.
I also did a 300-mi walkabout a few years ago that was really incredible.
But honestly, there are lots of stories posted here that are way more ambitious. Start by browsing through the Featured threads.

Reactions: manzo
D

Deleted member 22934

Was being facetious, really.
There are certainly folks here that have at least hiked parts of those trails and done distance on foot.
I hiked parts of the AT as a young buck.
I also did a 300-mi walkabout a few years ago that was really incredible.
But honestly, there are lots of stories posted here that are way more ambitious. Start by browsing through the Featured threads.

I highly doubt that anything people are talking about on squat the planet is more ambitious than walking 2200 miles thru the mountains. Walking 20 miles a day for 6 months with a 40 lb backpack is pretty hardcore.... It takes most people from the time the snow melts in spring, to the time its about to start snowing in fall. It litterally takes the whole warm season to do it. And only 1 out of 4 people who start, actually finish.

roughdraft

Reaction score
i know a kid who did it who had never been camping before, so his first night camping was the first of well over 100 in a row lmao. I think if you put your nose to the grindstone it's a piece of cake. plan accordingly have all the necessary gear and go for it!!

D

Deleted member 22934

Ive been on hundreds of hikes, but always 1 day hikes close to home. A few years ago, I was hitch hiking thru California and I ended up walking 16 miles one day cause nobody would pick me up... At the time, I was pretty out of shape.... It seems to me like the key is to start out slow. Dont overdue it right from the start and injure yourself or pull a muscle or something.... If you start out easy, your body will adapt and you can build up to longer days...

I know as far as bike touring goes, same thing. Dont do a ton of miles the first few days! Let your body adapt into the groove of things. Ive heard a number of guys say that people who quit, usually quit during the first 5 days. They think they can cover huge miles right from the start, so they over do it, and decide to quit on the 3rd day when they're body is all sore from day 1 and they get overwhelmed with the feeling that they bit off more than they can chew.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads