Gypsy Punk

GG22

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey everyone! I just joined this site and I'd like to reach out to all you fine people.
My name is GG and I've been moving and traveling my whole life. I've been living in the Western, Ny for a little over a year and I'm already dying to move again and again and again and...
I'm currently attending a community college because I didn't know what else to do. The older I get the less I seem to be able to function in the "real world" and it just keeps getting worse. I am now 25 and the longer I live between 4 walls the more bitter and confused I become. It all just feels so wrong to me. I've also been living with zero money for a few years now, and I actually prefer it this way.
I thought that joining this awesome site might help me meet like minds, and I hope to accomplish this before I finally get the balls to drop my current mundane and meaningless lifestyle. I just honestly want to know people who understand.

Also if ever any of you guys are in the Western, Ny area during your travels, let me know! I let people squat at my place every now and then so feel free!

Bon voyage everyone! ::drinkingbuddy::

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Ha - my niece goes to Brockport. I work at another local community college. Welcome aboard - if ya get to Rochester, and visa versa - we should hook up.

W

Will Dernis

Take that leap of faith, hit the road! Punch kick stab it, get somewhere you've never been and then you'll wonder why you've waited so long. There's road family everywhere and they're waiting for you to show up

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
I drifted through Clinton once. It was fall and the leaves were incredible. That's about the only thing I remember though :( See ya on the road....

Tude

Reaction score
Yup, Brockport is where I live! And I'm attending Monroe Community college, for now at least haha. I'd love to meet up with you sometime! Feel free to shoot me a message sometime and we can make plans!

ha you downtown or brighton? I'm downtown

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
my advice is to do it while you can. it only gets harder the older you get. if you take off now, you can get about 5 good years of traveling in before you hit thirty. at that point it starts to get a lot harder (in my opinion) and it's generally best to move on to rubber tramping at that point (i'm 35 for reference).

Cirno9

Reaction score
Hey and welcome happy traveler :). Going to school is a great thing but I also know the need to learn stuff that cant be learned in books by hitting the road again and if it is truly because you have ziilch else to do the time for some adventure has indeed come, scratch that itch! I hope you enjoy your stay here and can find us to be useful or at least fun :p. Make sure you manage the time to get the degree though, as matt said as you get older it may get harder for whatever reasons, always nice to have a cushion to land on when you fall.

Tude

Reaction score
my advice is to do it while you can. it only gets harder the older you get. if you take off now, you can get about 5 good years of traveling in before you hit thirty. at that point it starts to get a lot harder (in my opinion) and it's generally best to move on to rubber tramping at that point (i'm 35 for reference).

Boy I'll say!!! I have 4 different colleges under my belt - a whole slew of credits that don't apply to the degrees I kept changing --- and LOL nearly 20 years in the making. It was a freaking chore to get through the last part -- hehe and even then as I finally ditched that nasty calc class I finally went to a counselor and said - what can I do with these 4 pages of wasted class time. Ha - he maneuvered and I graduated, not with what I wanted but meh. done. But it was a chore!!

• Sad
Reactions: Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Wow...
To GG... I think I understand about the feeling you have about functioning in the normal world. I get more and more jaded every day with what "normal" people consider a lifestyle in America. Not that I have myself ever really lived it. I have gone from being kicked out of both parents house as a teenager... to the military... to some community college to blue collar gigs.
I think it will come to a head at some point and I will have to drastically get on with it. Just jump to the great unknown.
To Matt... I'm not quite as old as you but not far behind. You really think that your 30's is too late for the whole, hitching, trainhopping, crazy life of sleeping under bridges and drinking sidewalk slams... :D lol... ??
I don't plan on just jumping into that exactly... I think sometime in the next few years I may transition to a rubber tramp in all likely hood. But I'd like to think even well into my 40s and 50's once I hone a nomadic skill set I can go where I please. I suppose a lot depends on how you can manage your economic situation eh? Might be easier to go hungry and spange and travel when your bones are young,
Tude!... Right on! I have some credits also... Calc is where I started to drop off myself.... I wasn't doing so bad the first half of so even managed some b's on exams when i was three sheets in the wind. But I still think I ended up with a D... only D in that final semester. Meh... maybe I will get back someday.

janktoaster

Reaction score
Afternoon! I agree with Matt, do it now when you have less responsibility. Finish up at that community college and then go go go until you can't anymore. Luckily, you live in a super beautiful part of the country. I love upstate NY!

D

Deleted member 9462

i know what you mean about it only getting harder to live in this society. people make me so sad. so much that i'm in the process of fixing up and rv and livin in the suburbs on a farm for a bit. i'm also 25 and have done a little traveling but not much. been in pittsburgh most of my life since i was 18. looking forward to getting out this winter.

Reactions: janktoaster

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads