Guy caught squattin on a roof, kinda funny (1 Viewer)

bryanpaul

Rambler
Current Location
eastern shore of Maryland

Suspected thief caught camping out on store rooftop tells all

(PHOTO/Ocala Police Dept.) Tent and patio furniture set up on the roof of a Shoe Carnival store in Ocala by Travis Rose - Thursday, Sept. 27, 2012.
OCALA --
A Marion County man found camping on the roof of a shoe store has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Ocala police said they found 20-year-old Travis Rose sleeping in a tent surrounded by patio furniture.
Police said the setup on the roof of the Shoe Carnival on the 2800 block of Southwest 24th Avenue, could not be seen from the ground.
"As soon as I peeked over the edge, there was a large, three-family red tent," said Ocala police Detective James Deas.
As for Rose, he said, "We had more ideas coming. We just got caught too soon."
Police said they believe Rose and his friend, 20-year-old John Vaughn, stole a box truck last week from a parking lot near their rooftop hideout.
The truck was found submerged in a pond north of the city -- after the patio furniture inside was emptied.
"We had planned on getting a putt-putt golf course and a hot tub," claimed Rose. "We were going to get a gazebo and put an Xbox and a TV in there."
Now sitting in the Marion County Jail, Rose explained he and his friends weren't homeless; they just enjoyed living on the rooftop, away from their parents.
Rose was charged with trespassing and theft of services. Police said the campers were stealing electricity to power fans and charge cell phones. Rose pleaded guilty at his first appearance.
"I got six months over a tent on a roof," he said. "I think it kind of sucks. I regret it. I wish I would have only gotten a warning, and I would have taken it all down, but they kind of hit me hard with it."
The merchandise stolen from the box truck was recovered and returned to the store Tuesday.
Rose still faces more jail time for the theft of the truck, which was left running in a parking lot. He admitted to being part of a group associated with that crime, but he did not actually admit guilt.
Once he gets out of jail, Rose said he hopes to go to college and sell insurance.
Records from the Marion County Jail show that Rose was previously arrested in 2010, when he was 18, on charges including petit larceny and burglary of an unoccupied building.
He was also arrested twice for violating probation, once in March 2011, and more recently in February 2012.

hahaha putt putt golf? WTF big pimpin........fuckin unbelievable they gave him 6 months.....that's fucked

@doobie d..... 'member ol' KFC/taco bell roof spot.....that shit was hilarious

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/9/27/rooftop_campout_sent.html#.UGW0DYiB_ug.facebook

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Current Location
Florida - FEC milepost 105.1
Ha! I wish ida thought about "installing" a putt putt golf course on KFC/Taco Bell.

I wonder how he got busted? Probably the same deal as me. Something had to be serviced on the rooftop. Shit We made it a good 2 and a half months on our roof. Definitely helped that i worked there too...

Oh yeah. That was 13 YEARS AGO!!!!... OLD!

AKriley

Lurker
i dont get it...the truck was in a pond or in a parking lot. Either way isnt GTA a felony and like over a year in jail.. anyway still a good idea the rooftop in my opinion ..and the gazebo and hot tub haha what the fuck

Noble Savage

Current Location
the back row
Ive been eyeballin' a sweet roof 'round the corner just to spend the night...looks like a bishop piece from chess...looks out over the epitome of civilization ....a McDonalds

E

Earth

I deleted myself
Indeed!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that about the truck - I thought the truck was submerged into a pond - which I could see carrying a pretty good sentence, not camping out on some cheap storefront roof....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back
walking in the forrest playing funeral doom ambient metal on teh headphones, ahh bliss!