Gourd banjo project (1 Viewer)

bcob

Lurker
Current Location
So Cal
So I alluded to this in the Appalachian/Old-time musicians thread a while back and I have finally started working on it this week. I'm extremely pleased with how it's turned out so far, and it is very close to being complete. My woodworking skills are nonexistent and my instrument-building skills are not much better.

The first day I spent cutting and sanding the gourd. It took about 3 hours to get the top as flat as it could be, rubbing it on a piece of sandpaper on flat ground. Then I sanded the edges of the gourd so it doesn't cut the goatskin.

The next day I cut some holes for the dowel rod that attaches to the neck, and spent a few hours with a file making sure it was a good fit. I had someone else make the neck for me because I didn't feel up to the challenge of making it with only hand tools. He also took care of installing the tuning pegs because I don't have a peg reamer or shaver. The only modification I made to the neck was rounding the butt a little bit. That looks very ugly but it fits to the gourd surprisingly well, even better than in this photo.

On the third day the neck was stained with some stain from a cheap gunstock finishing kit. I've never done anything like this before so like most of this project it was done by the seat of my pants. Here it is hanging out to dry afterwards.

The next step, gluing and tacking the goatskin to the gourd, was the most nerve-wracking. All I could think of was what could go wrong: the skin wrinkling or tearing, the gourd being crushed by the tightening skin as it dried, etc. It took me forever to get started. It was like being a shy kid trying to work up the courage to ask a cute girl to dance. It was extremely sloppy and won't win any contests, but nothing horrible happened and it should be good enough.

Today was spent putting a few coats of finish on the neck and making it nice and shiny and smooth. Tomorrow will be for cutting out the leather tailpiece, poking some holes in it, and slotting the nut, pegs, and bridge. In two or three days after the finish has had some time to do its thing, I'm going to give the neck a good polish, put it on the gourd, take a deep breath, and string her up.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
OP
B

bcob

Lurker
Current Location
So Cal
Here it is!

My clawhammering is not very strong yet, but here is an attempt at "Old Joe Clark" recorded with my crappy built-in mic: gourd banjo.mp3

soundpath

Lurker
Current Location
planet x
I just listened to the track, sounds great. Nice tone. Thanks for sharing the building process.

OP
B

bcob

Lurker
Current Location
So Cal
hat looks sick. how much did it cost ya?
About $120, mostly because I didn't make the neck. With some patience and a few tools it could be done for much, much less. There are a lot of great ideas online if you ever want to try building one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Bey
The Dumpster giveth...! Good skipping today, with some line struggle, though, over the freegan vs. "meegan" positions...
van dwelling in san antonio. about to get on the road to oregon or someplace by end of the month. i'm still so fucked up about my dear friend @Multifaceted passing away and need to get out of our hometown..
Confirmation that travel expenses will be covered has been APPROVED! I'M OUTTA HERE!
For years now I've been told to check out r/vagabond and I looked into it. Its terrible and I'm glad i haven't met those people.
Glad to be active again here on STP. I realize now how much I missed this community
Heading to Oregon this week...anyone wanna ride along?
I'm leaving MN in Spring!
Does anyone here have experience with shops yard in L.A., i could use a little advice.
Hey all, been a while, a lot has happened! A little update, my bf got charged with domestic & my shoulder is sprained: things are in the works right now and my plan is to get an RV & GTF outta here!

Members online