Gore-tex and my sweaty fucking feet

purr

Reaction score
So I've been looking into getting a new pair of shoes/boots for hiking and general outdoors sort of things and I was wondering what everyone's opinion on Gore-tex was related to footwear. My feet get super sweaty in the summer and I keep hearing mixed reviews about the its breathability.

Fishkiss

Reaction score
I'd rather they get sweaty from myself than wet from rain...also think of putting a waterproof wax on your boots to keep from getting wet.much more breathable than the silicone...personally I sweat all the time so I'd go w gore tex...another option is those wick dry socks they work really well...either way ya gotta take care of your feet when walking mile after mile.do what's comfy for ya

D

Deleted member 125

gore tex will most deffinetly make yer feet stinky, its a give and take with it. i dont use them but a real good buddy of mine used to swear by them.

3rdEyeVision

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12465M/28972/Mens/Moab-GORE-TEX

I've never owned a pair of hiking shoes my whole life until I got these a few months back. They are top of the line and the price isn't that bad considering how amazing they are. Three of the best companies combined in one hiking shoe and it also comes in a mid that goes above the ankles. Extremely comfortable and breathable and there is an "odor eating" insole inside to help with that whole stinky feet issue but I've never had any problems. I don't have stinky feet though I know some other people have some rancid ass shit goin on down there. I would HIGHLY recommend these if you want to spend a little extra for fine quality man they perform excellent and they're like walking on tempur pedic mattresses all day.

purr

Reaction score
^ Yeah I was actually checking out those and the Merrel Chameleons. My thought was that the Gore-tex would keep my feet dry from rain and the large amounts of mesh would keep my feet dry from sweat and being encased in Gore-tex. The Chameleons have gotten really good test reviews from Backpacker too, that they work well as an all-terrain/weather option.

http://www.backpacker.com/2012-august-gear-review-merrell-chameleon4-mid-ventilator-gtx/gear/16733

I'm also thinking about picking up a few more pairs of Smartwool's lighter weight socks. Fuck cotton socks, always and forever.

Reaction score
yeah I got sweaty feet too I was thinking bout getting the moab ventilators but i dont know they are kinda pricy you'd rather have wet feet from sweat than rain?? wtf?

purr

Reaction score
You know, after some more investigation on the matter Gore-Tex is looking like a bad idea. If my feet get wet from the rain, they'll dry out if there are ample amounts of mesh in a nonGore-Tex boot. Whereas if my feet get sweaty in a Gore-Tex boot it'll just get locked in there forever... Fuck that.

Fishkiss

Reaction score
Sporty mesh boots are my favorite...light and cool..they jet dnt hold up well and aren't really for the conditions...if all your worried about is sweat then the mesh is good.I go thru boots like every 3 mnts.I'm rough on my shit...have had every diffrent kind.I prefer all leather double stitched...but I'm always gettin down n dirty...i said it before but I'm say it again try out those air wick socks for your sweaty feet...it really just depends on lifestyle and needs for boot type...

MFB

Reaction score
^^ I feel like quality socks are important here as well. Don't just buy a shitty 6 pack from Dollar General. Left hand a few expensive pairs from an outdoor store. A good synthetic fiber sock will do wonders for sweaty feet. -Also, if I know I'm hiking alot on a givin day I'll change out socks every 2 hours or so (this is why I like shoe that are easy to get off and on); Ill keep one pair looped on my pack air drying and of course wear one pair. While youre still changing out into dirty socks at least thier dry.

In regards to shoes, I've taken a shine to hiking shoes as well. I was just out for a month in a pair of Salomon XA3Ds. Theyre light and dry quick, albeit a bit spendy.

Ultimately it's all preference.

H

helcat

This is kind of hypocritical since the only shoes i own are goretex boots, but I would choose well ventilated (quick drying) shoes over waterproof, unless the boots have something else going for them.

The problem is once water gets in them, it doesn't come out. They take a day to dry where others would take an hour.

Mine are just above ankle and more than once I've stepped in water too deep and once it's in you're screwed. Also in torrential rain it'll find its way in and build up fast.

Still, comfiest boots I ever wore, only thing I'd trade them for would be the exact same boots no goretex. But I'm paranoid careful about getting the inside wet. I just take them off if its getting sketchy.

Sweat problem never affected me in them, they are breathable, just not very breathable.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I have goretex desert boots from once was a good company. Never again. As others have said, breathability is nil, even the waterproofness is quite debatable, and if it rips, well, you're fucked unless you want them repaired. And they take forever to dry.
Next is either plain old fashioned leather coated with something like Dubbin, or quick drying boots like meindl desert fox boots. My idea is that if I got quick drying boots, I would buy myself some cheap goretex gaiters for really shit weather. So I would have breathable and quick drying boots, and pretty much complete waterproofness in bad weather (unless I'm submerging my boots in rivers or something)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads