Ghost Town Squat

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
This thread is very interesting. You all may be on to something here. If an entire abandoned town were suddenly mass squatted... just think of the possibillities! The biggest obstacle would probably be a matter of who owns the land, Government owned(federal/state/local) will be tough. A ghost town on private owned land would be easier, but even better yet would be one on land owned by a large corporation instead of a single individual.
What oki said about the historical significance could play an important factor too.

Reactions: crazy john

crazy john

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i know i used to squat this place called letchworth village in ny state which was no owned by government and it had about 12 buildings, maybe a few more, but its been a few years and i dont know whats there anymore.
heres some links that might help...hopefully cuz this is an awesome concept
http://weburbanist.com/2008/01/06/7...from-military-islands-to-mental-institutions/

http://www.mint.com/blog/trends/modern-day-ghost-towns-of-abandoned-real-estate/

this one is cool
http://www.ghosttowns.com/ghosttownsusa.html

Reactions: outskirts

oki

Reaction score
the netherlands has a village, Ruigoord, thats been squatted in the 70's and still exists. used to be surrounded by farm land, now enlcosed by the new amsterdam container harbour, they couldnt get rid of the town. its mainly an artist community. goa trance parties in the old church, lol.

its the little bit of green in the bottom right corner:

2085100680_9922efa71e.jpg

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
hey daisy i have been looking and i have found quite a few of em that are privately owned by mining companies places they havent sent anyone to in many years and they would never sell in virginia and tennesse and out west but still totally liveable here is a resource for the west http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/

Kayla

Reaction score
reviving a ghost town is a GREAT idea i think. most of everything is already in place, yet needing TLC and people to live there.
with a commune/eco-village approach would probably be the best for all there.

I hope this thread sparks interest like viewing fireflies in the mid-summer night's sky... etc

Reactions: flashinglights

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
i know i used to squat this place called letchworth village in ny state which was no owned by government and it had about 12 buildings, maybe a few more, but its been a few years and i dont know whats there anymore.
heres some links that might help...hopefully cuz this is an awesome concept
http://weburbanist.com/2008/01/06/7...from-military-islands-to-mental-institutions/

http://www.mint.com/blog/trends/modern-day-ghost-towns-of-abandoned-real-estate/

this one is cool
http://www.ghosttowns.com/ghosttownsusa.html

awesome links. i want to go to all these places. haha.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Make sure there is a water supply (spring/river/somewhere with enough rainfall to dig a well...) and test the soil before investing too much time into it. If it can't be sustainable, 100 dirty kids is just gonna be a week long party till all the beers gone, then no fun to be at anymore.

DaisyDoom

Reaction score
Yeah dude.....I'm not too optimistic about this idea haha It is really only a thought.....one of the many I've had about this sort of thing. There are a lot of ghost towns but none that I've found that are exactly what I think I would need in order to pull it off . Also, I'm not looking for a party or to live with a bunch of people who do nothing but get drunk and I can see how it could turn into that really fast lol. I would want people who are serious about getting shit done and I don't know how many of those I could find.

My husband has been trying to talk me into buying land in the desert for awhile now but I've been cautious because I don't want to buy something that will end up being useless. There is some good land out there, just gotta find it. Really, I just need space to do all the crap that I want to do...but some of it does involve building and growing food and plants.

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Hey daisy thats what i been shoutin about in my posts on here and many other places i am very positive a couple determined people can build eco freindly off grid sustainable homes for a very small amount of money up front and a steady small amount of money for a year if u do the labor yourself and buying things piece meal you should listen to your hubby on this if he has a good plan and a strong back and some building experience its totally doable my wife and i are going to attempt it very soon we are just uncertain exactly where we have our startup money and are waiting to guarantee a job for her before we head out i can always find short term work and i have a house i am working on here for somebody but i only got a week or so left on the house we are fond of wyoming due to there open building codes and only 4% taxes with no state income tax also incredibly cheap land 40 acres 20-50k anything over 35 acres can b zoned agriculture which means very low taxes yearly and u can than have any animal or raise crops and squatting land is always an option but owning it is investing in your future

DaisyDoom

Reaction score
I've read some of your posts and I like your ideas.
Keep in touch and update me on your plans and I'll do the same :)
Right now we are getting ready to take a long trip from the fl keys to san diego and surrounding areas to pursue a variety of projects.

Dirty Dave

Reaction score
I just had a thought and am looking for some input.... There are a lot of old abandoned towns in the US. I'm just wondering if it would be possible to squat one of these towns with a group of people. I figure finding info about towns would be the first step. I have seen several for sale in the past but when doing research yesterday, it seemed most were owned by the historical society. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to go about this?
search Ward, Colorado it was a ghost town now follows home rule municipality only having pigs there for arrest 4 times in the last 10 years.

Reaction score
A freind of mine grew up in a sucessful ghost town squat. Her father and his libertain buddies held a general election (which apprently ment it was theres under some weird law in that area) and any time a cop would come in to town the first person to see it would ring a bell on their porch and everyone would get their gun. Then they would tell the police man that they are not welcome.

Reactions: crazy john

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads