Ghost Town Squat

DaisyDoom

Reaction score
I just had a thought and am looking for some input.... There are a lot of old abandoned towns in the US. I'm just wondering if it would be possible to squat one of these towns with a group of people. I figure finding info about towns would be the first step. I have seen several for sale in the past but when doing research yesterday, it seemed most were owned by the historical society. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to go about this?

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
There are a few that are or were owned by mining companies those that are owned by government ran programs may get u locked up for tresspassing on government land no squatters rights apply to those there is a historical town near me that is closed down they used to do tours there and my buddys ma kicked him out so he squatted one of the buildings for like two weeks but the law caught him at it and he wound up in jail for a couple of months because they hit him with all kinds of charges tresspassing damage defacement and destruction of government property and all he did was camp out in an unlocked building but he used the fire place in it and got wood from the near by trees and he was using their out house all of which were crimes on government land

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
They also made him pay like 12grand in restitution cus they had to clean the out house and rstore the building back to 1880s condition they claimed he damaged the chimney and caused harm to the local flora and fuana by gathering wood in the little forest on the property nd apparently his poo in the outhouse contaminated the water in the creek on the property

acrata4ever

Reaction score
this place was demolished by hurricanes was rebuilt in the 30s and collapsed by the 70s. id really like to go metal detecting there theres gotta be something.

DaisyDoom

Reaction score
That place has some awesome history. It's small and surrounded by farms though and I think a couple of people live there. And it's in FL and I'm trying to get the fuck out of here lol.

I found a couple of places listed on CL. The one in Montana looks like its owned by some sort of historical society at least at some point it was... I'm not sure though, I'm gonna try and find more info about it. There is also a place listed as being "ghost town land" in Colorado and they are selling it really cheap....I need to figure out why.

Really I wonder what would happen if a bunch of people....like 100 or more just squatted on unused government land. Something like that had to of happened before.

acrata4ever

Reaction score
youd probably be arrested holland just made sqatting illegal and went in the squats on horseback and started crackin skulls. im not saying a place to live but think about it most ghost towns are completely gone, the general layout is still there. it was completley leveled in the 20s by a hurricane. you had old confederates hoarding gold. then it was rebuilt during the depression. people didnt want to turn in their gold to the government, they didnt beleive in banks and buried money in gas cans and jars. and these same people lived in the town long enough to grow old get alzheimers and forget about it. as far as treasure hunting this looks like a prime place.

Nyte

Reaction score
If you leave the major highways, there are towns like this all over the US. Let me know what your plans are, I am curious at the least.

DaisyDoom

Reaction score
I'll be driving through quite a few places so I will be on the lookout for places. I've been searching the internet too. I'll post as I find stuff out. It's nothing serious right now....My husband and I have tons of things we want to do when it comes to land and what not.

oki

Reaction score
you guys should pick something that has some sort of historical significance, but that is on the list for demolition. then you can make it into a thing and and demand a solution before you leave.

Reactions: WanderWoman

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Really I wonder what would happen if a bunch of people....like 100 or more just squatted on unused government land. Something like that had to of happened before.

It sure did happen before, on alcatraz Island, by Native American activists back in the 70's.

crazy john

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thats what I'm wondering...I really don't see why it wouldn't.
how cool would that be!!! havin your own town. i say we start a stp town squatt. ill brew the brewss and grow the herbs

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads