Germany squats???? | Squat the Planet

Germany squats????

Ginli

Reaction score
Hey people!
I am travelling around Germany in June! Its my first time going here!! Any other travelers out here at this time that would wana hang out?
Also any squats or alternative living communities ?????

Thankkkkkks!
Liarna

emilon

Reaction score
You specifically want to do squats or couchsurfing could also be OK? Some of the hosts on CS or BeWelcome are kind of like squats or shared houses. Nice to see fellow Europeans in here!!

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

roguetrader

Reaction score
there's a Swiss girl who's a member on here ; she travels in Germany sometimes, staying in squats / sites etc... she could probably give you a few pointers - I think her handle is something like @wieselfink - she wrote a diary piece about her travels on here 2 or 3 months ago (The Green Backpack ?) - I'll try and stir up the precise info from my aging memory banks, unless anyone else can help in the meantime ?

(Hi from a fellow Brit as well - I'm from near Manchester and spent my early punk days in Hulme squat land - still my favourite UK city)

Reactions: autohof3000

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com

Well, I'm from Germany actually, but I almost have no experience traveling and no experience when it comes to squatting here. Spent most of my time in UK and otherwise Belgium, Netherlands and Switzerland.

Anyway it seems to me that squatting is not such a big thing in Germany as it is in UK. Granted, there may be some squats in huge cities like Berlin, Frankfurt or alike. But they are - from what I know - mostly more political motivated then what I know from UK.

There was one squat in the city of Bonn where I am from and it was tolerated for months. But that was the only squat since decades known of as the local newspaper reported.

Unlike in UK where squatting commercial buildings is not a crime, here in Germany any form of squatting is a criminal offense. Trespass/Unlawful Entry. So the owner, instead of having to go to court and get a interim possession order or making a possesion claim, here they can just call the cops and have you thrown out, perhaps even arrested. Like it is now in UK for residential buildings, afaik. So the whole situation is different.

If someone has more/better info about that, please correct me ...

PS: have been in two squats in Manchester, had a good time there ... :)

Robb the Pikey

Reaction score
Hey people!
I am travelling around Germany in June! Its my first time going here!! Any other travelers out here at this time that would wana hang out?

Thankkkkkks!
Liarna

if you want to travel again, there are some trailerparks runn´t by anarchists, hippie´s, punx and leftis.

i life on one in the mitle of the country.

Reactions: autohof3000

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads