Free Public Transit in US | Squat the Planet

Free Public Transit in US

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
There was a thread for this subject that got kind of buried in LA. Somewhere in the desert, where everything gets buried.

I took all of the posts from that thread and compiled them into a downloadable document here:
https://squattheplanet.com/files/free-public-transit.346/

Please continue to post about other free rides. I will update as necessary.

Reactions: Stella Lum

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
I could not download that it says, "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." But I know most ski towns offer free public transportation. I worked in Breckenridge for a winter and I know the Summit County Buses take you through Breck, Frisco, Silverthorne, Swan Mountain Pass, Dillon and Copper Mountain for free. They usually come every 30 minutes by one of the bus signs.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Monterey Bay has a free trolley that runs between downtown and the aquarium. It's basically a tour of the city's Spanger Zones.

Generally runs every 15 mins, from 10a to 7 or 8p.

Attachments

• MONTEREY_TROLLEY.pdf
    473 KB · Views: 431

shabti

Reaction score
El Paso has a bus that goes to New Mexico for like 3$. It's part of the public transport system, so if you're ever in las cruces and don't want to hitch it, as of the time I write this, its bus 83? Google maps says it's called the GOLD route now, so maybe I'm wrong.

Since Ep has so many train yards, (some of which go into old Mexico) it can be easier for kids who get off here, throw down the bus fare, and hop out in cruces where it's significantly less confusing. This is Texas, to, not ep, Colorado, if you're wondering.

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
The big island of Hawaii has a free bus system. Island is the size of north Carolina or something and the free bus will take you anywhere there.

I don't believe this is free anymore. I never made it to Big Island, but I believe they did away with this recently as homebums took it to far by riding the buses the whole day.

MasterGopnik

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this thread is ok with me putting info on here having to do with illegal transportation, but I know first hand that this method works. While I must emphasize that you can be dealt a fairly hefty fine for this, you don't actually need to pay to use the subway system in Los Angeles. the metro rail has terminals where you tap your "tap card" on and then walk through, but if you hold any old blue colored card in your hand and walk through the gate acting like you should be there then the security won't ask any questions. It's all automated so there's no security at the terminals. there are often workers and sometimes even police in the stations, but the terminals are fine. If you get approached because you look lost or confused just say you can't find the bathroom, you'll lose the guards. Even the terminals you encounter when entering Union Station from the red line don't need a tap card, they look like they lock up on anyone who doesn't tap a valid card, but it's just a deterrent. Just be careful to not draw any attention to yourself and you should be good. half of the train ride I was sitting directly next to two police officers and I just put in headphones and played on my phone. never suspected a thing and I got across the city for free. As an added bonus, if you can stay close to a large group of people while passing through terminals (should be fairly easy to do when on the main lines such as the red, blue, and purple) it makes it nearly impossible to tell that you didn't tap a valid card.

watergiver

Reaction score
baltimore, Maryland...or BodyMore Murderland
if your good.....or just know. you have free passage on all public transport. if you know the system of lachrymal alchemy and never accept a "no"

not in terms of making a female drop knickers, but in relations to the pawn who you are telling your lifes mission why you never pay money.....

83% of the time they say "come brother" or like such
13% say no

the other 40284% are so happy to see a change in their zombie systematic approach to the human

.7% will try to kick your ass, call cops, and be a complete wrath monger

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads