Free greyhound?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi all,

Was told by a squat mate there's a way to ride a greyhound for free if you modify a ticket. Can someone explain if this is true and if so how it can be done? Thanks!

i haven't heard of any good greyhound scams since the good old days of the ameripass.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Nope - none here as well. Hell they have Homeland Security hounding our station in Rochester - clearing off buses to check and recheck luggage AND tickets and running the tickets at times too (with scanner). Have had dogs on the buses as well when even the travelers who are GOING ON the same bus have to get off for search. Transferring tickets is a bitch too.

• Useful
Reactions: Fred R
D

Deleted member 125

as far as scamming tickets for greyhound yer about 10 years too late.

shit you used to be able to xerox tickets...but that went the way of the buffalo.

D

Deleted member 125

hello @Fred R a dislike is great, but contributing to the thread is even better. maybe make a reply as to why you think that me saying scamming greyhound tickets is 10 years too late, maybe afterall it still is possible to xerox tickets and im wrong? or are you just a fan of the dislike button without contributing anything to a half a year old conversation?

Fred R

Reaction score
Alright sorry. It is possible but it should be kept on the dl. You can buy a ticket online and print it on regular paper. Then you can scan it, go into an image editor (photoshop, gimp, etc.), and change the dates and locations. The bus driver just looks at the ticket and you ride for free.

The catch is they have the ability to scan the ticket if they want. And I don't know what the penalty is for a fraudulent fare but I'm sure it's jail/prison.

As obligated as I feel sharing this info to fellow travelers, I'll prolly regret it but fuck it

Reactions: Raven Claypool
D

Deleted member 125

Alright sorry. It is possible but it should be kept on the dl. You can buy a ticket online and print it on regular paper. Then you can scan it, go into an image editor (photoshop, gimp, etc.), and change the dates and locations. The bus driver just looks at the ticket and you ride for free.

The catch is they have the ability to scan the ticket if they want. And I don't know what the penalty is for a fraudulent fare but I'm sure it's jail/prison.

As obligated as I feel sharing this info to fellow travelers, I'll prolly regret it but fuck it

what yer talking about was the scam 10+ years ago.

the fact that they scan the tickets now is why i said this was no longer viable anymore.

Fred R

Reaction score
Well now that I think of it I read Xerox implying you just need to copy the ticket. I'm saying you can modify the ticket. As far as I know that'll work. This brings to mind a trick which may protect you from the law. Erase a number from the confirmation number and a couple bars from the bar code. That'll allow you to play the fool if push comes to shove.

D

Deleted member 125

Well now that I think of it I read Xerox implying you just need to copy the ticket. I'm saying you can modify the ticket. As far as I know that'll work. This brings to mind a trick which may protect you from the law. Erase a number from the confirmation number and a couple bars from the bar code. That'll allow you to play the fool if push comes to shove.

i think we would all like to think that greyhound employees are as stupid as they seem but i assure you they are well aware of photoshop and the fact that people do this. erasing bar codes will make the ticket not scan at all basically telling them that you have modified the ticket. i havnt read the terms of greyhound recently (or ever at all for that matter) but im sure somewhere in there theres something about editing the ticket somewhere and how it will make yer ticket non valid.

D

deleted user

I get where you're coming from, absolutely. You're a loophole finder and I applaud you for it; you're doing the hard work so that none of us have to, and we (at least I) thank you for it.

But, I think all everyone wants to let you know is that this isn't a new trick and you still may get caught. I, personally, am all for your debauchery, though, and am very interested in this technique myself. I actually have an opacity fade gradient that I am going to use on the barcode and some other aspects of the ticket, but making them very minimal and small. Hopefully we can fine-tune this into another scam 10 years later.

XlilyX

Reaction score
Website
hashbone.bandcamp.com
Also, if you print out a greyhound ticket and show up an amtrack station they'll most likely let you on if the bus isn't full (just act confused and really worried once you realize your "mistake"). This has never gone wrong for me.

A

AlwaysLost

what yer talking about was the scam 10+ years ago.

the fact that they scan the tickets now is why i said this was no longer viable anymore.

And fuck it here's your ticket

Hypothetically there are programs you could use possibly read and and rewrite that barcode once you ascertain what the barcode type is.

I worked in barcode compliance for a online retailer back in the day. I'm not sure how much info a free reader would generate though.

That being said you get popped and its fraud and forgery and your next free trip will probably be to federal prison since the bus crosses state lines.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads