Free camping index? | Squat the Planet

Free camping index?

Connorb47

Reaction score
31917 Camas Swale Rd, Creswell, OR 97426, USA
I recently started rubber tramping from hitching and hopping and well i remember one time being picked up and a girl had told me that she found an index or forum type thing, of travelers who compiled a list of free campgrounds, and what not throughout the US.
I know i usually just pull off some road and throw out my sleeping bag, but i do have a tent id like to use occasionally use.
Any info or direction would be appreciated.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
they were probably referring to www.freecampsites.net a very handy source if you're rubber tramping.

D

Deleted member 11392

All BLM land as well as National Forests allow free camping anywhere except where specifically posted otherwise. So if you're inside a National Forest and see a lot and there's no sign, you can park and pitch a tent with no worries. Just did this with a buddy recently who lives out of his car.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
it should be noted that the free camping is generally limited to 14 days in one spot, then you have to move some minimum distance away. in montana near yellowstone it was 1000 meters from your last camp site.

NagaPadoha

Reaction score
All BLM land as well as National Forests allow free camping anywhere except where specifically posted otherwise. So if you're inside a National Forest and see a lot and there's no sign, you can park and pitch a tent with no worries. Just did this with a buddy recently who lives out of his car.

We drove so late last night before figuring that out >,,> kept looking for places that mentioned you could camp, but we should have just turned off into any of the parks that didn't specify we couldn't camp. Ah well, we'll get more sleep tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: BusGypsy

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
I just learnt the difference between national forest and national park this way. It's not allowed to park overnight in most national parks. Now I'm looking for forests on maps

Apples and oranges.

National parks usually cost over $20 just to go in for a day. Only some are free. Those are typically ones with major roadways running through them, like great Smokey mountains or redwoods. Even in the free access parks, you will be paying for camping with very few exceptions (only one I can think of, camp 4 in Yosemite).

National Forests are always free to enter, with very few exceptions. Most provide numerous paid campgrounds, but those aren't for us. Each forest has its own specifics for free dispersed camping so be sure check if you're unsure. Typically if you are on a forest road (designated NF-####) and your see a place that looks like people have camped there you're good to go. Look for fire rings and well stomped ground

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Apples and oranges.

National parks usually cost over $20 just to go in for a day. Only some are free. Those are typically ones with major roadways running through them, like great Smokey mountains or redwoods. Even in the free access parks, you will be paying for camping with very few exceptions (only one I can think of, camp 4 in Yosemite).

National Forests are always free to enter, with very few exceptions. Most provide numerous paid campgrounds, but those aren't for us. Each forest has its own specifics for free dispersed camping so be sure check if you're unsure. Typically if you are on a forest road (designated NF-####) and your see a place that looks like people have camped there you're good to go. Look for fire rings and well stomped ground

National parks are free in north east, the only difference is you aren't allowed to camp in a a vehicle overnight, have to park it and go into the woods to camp. Adirondacks in NY, mountains in New Hampshire and Maine

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
National parks are free in north east, the only difference is you aren't allowed to camp in a a vehicle overnight, have to park it and go into the woods to camp. Adirondacks in NY, mountains in New Hampshire and Maine
Like I said, some are free. Most aren't. Same goes for army Corp of engineers. I've stayed in a good few completely free COE sites. The discussion here is a quick breakdown of how it usually is. If you aren't doing your own research as you go, your are going to be missing out on lots of opportunities. There's no definite set of rules for this.

For example, if you really want to go to a national park, let's say the grand canyon south, you might be discouraged because even with the discovery pass (free entry) you can't afford the camping. When I did it, I checked the maps and found that there is national Forest just outside the park. Then I looked up camping restrictions for that specific forest. It was a go, so that's where I stayed for a week while enjoying the grand canyon.

MeterOYE

Reaction score
This is my favorite one

Attachments

• A466E125-06AB-4BF1-9F66-18986B6701C5.jpeg
    A466E125-06AB-4BF1-9F66-18986B6701C5.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 336

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads