Follow up for what I carried in my Jacket | Squat the Planet

Follow up for what I carried in my Jacket

BadBoBo

Reaction score
A few people liked the thread about the ScotteVest. So I will list all the things I carried in it and why. Also keep in mind. I carried all of this stuff and managed to keep the big pocket pretty much empty.

LockPicks- Carried in the upper right breast pocket. These things helped so much and they are mostly legal in all 50 states unless you are caught committing a crime with them. Then you are screwed. These things opened up so many options for me. House for sale during a snowstorm? And I have a place to crash. Sometimes even running water, Complex being built or torn down? Yep I am through the padlock and locking it behind me (yes I know you can climb the fence but all the ones here are topped with razor wire). If it's being torn down SCORE! Food and possibly some new clothes or something to trade or pawn. Dumpster diving being thwarted by a lock(Ok seriously?!? WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU LOCKING YOUR DUMPSTER?!?! IF IT'S VALUABLE WHY ARE YOU THROWING IT AWAY?!?!)? In a few seconds I am in there too.

Yes I can hear you now "But I don't know how to pick a lock" It is easy really really disturbingly easy. You can find a video about how to pick a master lock here. And how to pick a door lock here. The only difference between a door lock and a dead bolt is you need a tiny bit more pressure on the tension wrench with the dead bolt.

Bar of soap and washcloth - Carried in second pocket rear left side. Yes I know most of us carry handkerchiefs for various things. But you really have to scrub to get the dirt off, With a washcloth it comes off a lot easier. Also because I kept it wrapped around my bar of irish springs(cheap as it comes) I almost never had to reapply soap for those quick whore baths in the gas station.

Yes I know it is hard to keep clean and sometimes does not help when your spanging(honestly if you are homeless why are you clean right?). But for health sakes it can pay off in spades. Not to mention people are more likely to cuddle for warmth if you smell nice. Also in a pinch that bar of soap could be used on my clothes as well.

2x Altoids tins - upper left pocket no they did not have altoids in them. First one had a small sewing kit in it. Good for clothing as well as flesh from time to time. I was able to barter for items cause I could fix clothing. The second one had my make shift random shit kit. Some individually wrapped ibuprofen like the type you get from a first aid kit. About 2 ft of tin foil folded up and laid flat on the bottom. Some salt and pepper like the type you have in mcdonalds, A 2 inch piece of a hacksaw blade. And a mini bic lighter kept in a zip lock.

Space blanket- Also upper left pocket. I have used this more than a few times. I never carried more than one on me at a time. I had a stash of these all over the place. And they could be gotten for a dollar on sale at most sporting goods places. No only did this thing provide heat for a limited time, But after you can use it as a makeshift shelter or as a rain catch for water. One time I just hung it over my shoulders and zipped my jacket up over it. Kept me nice warm and dry. Also it is small enough to fit into the pockets of your jeans (not girl jeans...Can't even fit a box of matches in those half the time). So it made a good item for trade.

USB charger - upper right breast pocket. I used this thing to charge both my phone and my battery pack. I like the ones where the plugs fold in. Cause if they do not not, then sooner or latter they are going to stab you. It might be in a fall or when you are jumping up on a ledge. But if they do not fold sooner or later they will end up poking you. If you do not carry a battery pack or a spare phone, it never hurts to be able to offer a charging port to a friend.

Micro USB cable 2x- Inner right slit pocket. I like these as they are fairly rugged. I always tried to carry at least two. Cause normally one of them dies or gets lost or someone who you let borrow it steals it. Also these are not cheap ones so they can be used to transfer data as well.

Bic lighter 2x - upper right pocket. Full sized ones. Why? Its fire... If I am lighting cigarettes or a burn barrel it's always handy to be able to easily make fire. Yes some of you do the whole striker rod thing. But honestly half the time when I went to light a fire I was half dead and ready to pass out. This was just easier. Also a great way to make friends by letting your buddy have one for the road.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DI0XM4/
Para cord 20 feet- inner right slit pocket. I cut the ends and burned it to make sure it did not fray. I used this stuff for make shifts repairs, Tying up tarps, tying things to my bag, tying branches together or just to loop things to make it easier to carry.
http://<iframe style="width:120px;h..._color=0066c0&bg_color=ffffff"> </iframe>
Leatherman- front right lower pocket... OMG so much use out of this thing. Spring-action needlenose pliers, spring action regular pliers, spring action wire cutters, wire stripper, 420HC combo knife, spring-action scissors, package opener, ruler (1.5in, 3.8cm), can opener, bottle opener, wood/metal file, phillips screwdriver, medium screwdriver, small screwdriver. I used this thing to unlock those stupid spickets that needed a key, make repairs, turn on water from the main, do car repairs on a hitch, hook up power, flint nap,open up a can (takes awhile) cut of branches, carve wood for a spit or a shelter, bend random wires I found to make jewelry or toys or tools, File my nails....yeah I was that guy..... Also when the thing broke I just sent it in and they mailed it back to my friends house good as new(I used the pliers as a pry bar. Did not work so well). The blade is 420 steel so if you know what you are doing you can sharpen it on a rock,

One pen and one mechanical pencil - in the pen pockets. Never know when you are going to need to write something down. A new friends number, passing a note, leaving a thank you note to the owner after you used there house, I wrote notes on my arms(hands were always to dirty) and left notes on the walls of good squat spots (under a bride or such) for the next person.

Small note book - rear right hand side pocket. Sometimes I just wanted to write down how I was feeling. Or maybe I had found a really good spot, Or a really bad spot that looked good. I always made notes about places or after I learned the combination of a lock some place. Sometimes I would write down poetry or just a quote that I liked. I would look at it when I was down or depressed it helped a little. I always went for the bound instead of the spiral. The metal kept coming out and I kept stabbing my damn fingers when I reached for it. Not my hands, My fingers...Talent.

Small Flask - Inner left electronics see through pocket. It is a flask. It is great for making friends and you do not have to put alcohol in it. Also it made me feel a little more classy when I was drinking from it. Lame I know but true.

Peppermint oil - Inner left electronics pocket. When I did not have booze to drink I filled my flask with water and added one drop of this. Then I used it to smell a little better when I could not get a bath, Or as bug spray or I dribbled it in a circle around me when I had to sleep on the ground to keep some of the bugs away. Also it worked great just for flavoring some water, Putting a few drops around the eyes from the flask(always watered down) to help me stay awake or under my nose to unclog my sinuses. If I was going through or camping some place unpleasant I would put a few drops on my handkerchief and wear it over my nose.

Vet Bond- upper right breast pocket This is basicly super glue with disinfectant in it. It's the stuff vets use and it's the same ingredients in the same amounts for the stuff that they use in the ER. This works wonders for patching yourself up, Or just as plain glue (note. I am not a doctor so dyi at your own risk) But if you do MAKE sure you clean it out well. You do not need to seal crap in the wound. Good way to get a infection.

Battery pack - Big inside left pocket. This is not the one I had but it is the next step up in that line. That being said this thing was AWESOME. I could hook up my phone and charge it while in a cave, under a bridge or on the move with just a wire hanging out from my inside pocket. This does not have a light on it though. So here is a small USB LED light for you.

2x handkerchief - upper right breast pocket. Soak one and wrap around your neck to keep cool, Put it over your head to help keep the sun off, Use your clean one to wrap a wound or to use as a operating table, wrap the fresh berries you pick in it, make it into a pouch to hang off your self to carry that treasure you found, wrap it around you face in cold weather or when it's dusty(freaking arizona).

And that is all i carried in my jacket mainly. Of course I added things when I found them or thought I needed it (contractors trash bag) And I had my backpack as well. But I was always scared I would lose it. Have any questions? Feel free to ask and I will get back to you ASAP

Stay safe and never stop growing. :)

Last edited:
F

FrumpyWatkins

C
A few people liked the thread about the ScotteVest. So I will list all the things I carried in it and why. Also keep in mind. I carried all of this stuff and managed to keep the big pocket pretty much empty.

LockPicks- Carried in the upper right breast pocket. These things helped so much and they are mostly legal in all 50 states unless you are caught committing a crime with them. Then you are screwed. These things opened up so many options for me. House for sale during a snowstorm? And I have a place to crash. Sometimes even running water, Complex being built or torn down? Yep I am through the padlock and locking it behind me (yes I know you can climb the fence but all the ones here are topped with razor wire). If it's being torn down SCORE! Food and possibly some new clothes or something to trade or pawn. Dumpster diving being thwarted by a lock(Ok seriously?!? WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU LOCKING YOUR DUMPSTER?!?! IF IT'S VALUABLE WHY ARE YOU THROWING IT AWAY?!?!)? In a few seconds I am in there too.

Yes I can hear you now "But I don't know how to pick a lock" It is easy really really disturbingly easy. You can find a video about how to pick a master lock here. And how to pick a door lock here. The only difference between a door lock and a dead bolt is you need a tiny bit more pressure on the tension wrench with the dead bolt.

Bar of soap and washcloth - Carried in second pocket rear left side. Yes I know most of us carry handkerchiefs for various things. But you really have to scrub to get the dirt off, With a washcloth it comes off a lot easier. Also because I kept it wrapped around my bar of irish springs(cheap as it comes) I almost never had to reapply soap for those quick whore baths in the gas station.

Yes I know it is hard to keep clean and sometimes does not help when your spanging(honestly if you are homeless why are you clean right?). But for health sakes it can pay off in spades. Not to mention people are more likely to cuddle for warmth if you smell nice. Also in a pinch that bar of soap could be used on my clothes as well.

2x Altoids tins - upper left pocket no they did not have altoids in them. First one had a small sewing kit in it. Good for clothing as well as flesh from time to time. I was able to barter for items cause I could fix clothing. The second one had my make shift random shit kit. Some individually wrapped ibuprofen like the type you get from a first aid kit. About 2 ft of tin foil folded up and laid flat on the bottom. Some salt and pepper like the type you have in mcdonalds, A 2 inch piece of a hacksaw blade. And a mini bic lighter kept in a zip lock.

Space blanket- Also upper left pocket. I have used this more than a few times. I never carried more than one on me at a time. I had a stash of these all over the place. And they could be gotten for a dollar on sale at most sporting goods places. No only did this thing provide heat for a limited time, But after you can use it as a makeshift shelter or as a rain catch for water. One time I just hung it over my shoulders and zipped my jacket up over it. Kept me nice warm and dry. Also it is small enough to fit into the pockets of your jeans (not girl jeans...Can't even fit a box of matches in those half the time). So it made a good item for trade.

USB charger - upper right breast pocket. I used this thing to charge both my phone and my battery pack. I like the ones where the plugs fold in. Cause if they do not not, then sooner or latter they are going to stab you. It might be in a fall or when you are jumping up on a ledge. But if they do not fold sooner or later they will end up poking you. If you do not carry a battery pack or a spare phone, it never hurts to be able to offer a charging port to a friend.

Micro USB cable 2x- Inner right slit pocket. I like these as they are fairly rugged. I always tried to carry at least two. Cause normally one of them dies or gets lost or someone who you let borrow it steals it. Also these are not cheap ones so they can be used to transfer data as well.

Bic lighter 2x - upper right pocket. Full sized ones. Why? Its fire... If I am lighting cigarettes or a burn barrel it's always handy to be able to easily make fire. Yes some of you do the whole striker rod thing. But honestly half the time when I went to light a fire I was half dead and ready to pass out. This was just easier. Also a great way to make friends by letting your buddy have one for the road.

Para cord 20 feet- inner right slit pocket. I cut the ends and burned it to make sure it did not fray. I used this stuff for make shifts repairs, Tying up tarps, tying things to my bag, tying branches together or just to loop things to make it easier to carry.

Leatherman
- front right lower pocket... OMG so much use out of this thing. Spring-action needlenose pliers, spring action regular pliers, spring action wire cutters, wire stripper, 420HC combo knife, spring-action scissors, package opener, ruler (1.5in, 3.8cm), can opener, bottle opener, wood/metal file, phillips screwdriver, medium screwdriver, small screwdriver. I used this thing to unlock those stupid spickets that needed a key, make repairs, turn on water from the main, do car repairs on a hitch, hook up power, flint nap,open up a can (takes awhile) cut of branches, carve wood for a spit or a shelter, bend random wires I found to make jewelry or toys or tools, File my nails....yeah I was that guy..... Also when the thing broke I just sent it in and they mailed it back to my friends house good as new(I used the pliers as a pry bar. Did not work so well). The blade is 420 steel so if you know what you are doing you can sharpen it on a rock,

One pen and one mechanical pencil - in the pen pockets. Never know when you are going to need to write something down. A new friends number, passing a note, leaving a thank you note to the owner after you used there house, I wrote notes on my arms(hands were always to dirty) and left notes on the walls of good squat spots (under a bride or such) for the next person.

Small note book - rear right hand side pocket. Sometimes I just wanted to write down how I was feeling. Or maybe I had found a really good spot, Or a really bad spot that looked good. I always made notes about places or after I learned the combination of a lock some place. Sometimes I would write down poetry or just a quote that I liked. I would look at it when I was down or depressed it helped a little. I always went for the bound instead of the spiral. The metal kept coming out and I kept stabbing my damn fingers when I reached for it. Not my hands, My fingers...Talent.

Small Flask - Inner left electronics see through pocket. It is a flask. It is great for making friends and you do not have to put alcohol in it. Also it made me feel a little more classy when I was drinking from it. Lame I know but true.

Peppermint oil - Inner left electronics pocket. When I did not have booze to drink I filled my flask with water and added one drop of this. Then I used it to smell a little better when I could not get a bath, Or as bug spray or I dribbled it in a circle around me when I had to sleep on the ground to keep some of the bugs away. Also it worked great just for flavoring some water, Putting a few drops around the eyes from the flask(always watered down) to help me stay awake or under my nose to unclog my sinuses. If I was going through or camping some place unpleasant I would put a few drops on my handkerchief and wear it over my nose.

Vet Bond- upper right breast pocket This is basicly super glue with disinfectant in it. It's the stuff vets use and it's the same ingredients in the same amounts for the stuff that they use in the ER. This works wonders for patching yourself up, Or just as plain glue (note. I am not a doctor so dyi at your own risk) But if you do MAKE sure you clean it out well. You do not need to seal crap in the wound. Good way to get a infection.

Battery pack - Big inside left pocket. This is not the one I had but it is the next step up in that line. That being said this thing was AWESOME. I could hook up my phone and charge it while in a cave, under a bridge or on the move with just a wire hanging out from my inside pocket. This does not have a light on it though. So here is a small USB LED light for you.

2x handkerchief - upper right breast pocket. Soak one and wrap around your neck to keep cool, Put it over your head to help keep the sun off, Use your clean one to wrap a wound or to use as a operating table, wrap the fresh berries you pick in it, make it into a pouch to hang off your self to carry that treasure you found, wrap it around you face in cold weather or when it's dusty(freaking arizona).

And that is all i carried in my jacket mainly. Of course I added things when I found them or thought I needed it (contractors trash bag) And I had my backpack as well. But I was always scared I would lose it. Have any questions? Feel free to ask and I will get back to you ASAP

Stay safe and never stop growing. :)

Post photos of this jacket?

BadBoBo

Reaction score
outside.jpg
Pockets.jpg
inside.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads