Flashlights

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Alright, I am done with it. Right now it is just 3 Bright White LEDs from a flashlight I found in a lot (in San Fran by the city food bank), it was missing the switch. It has a 3 AA batteries, and the 3 LEDs in parallel. It is brighter than my MagLight (though it should get new batteries), and my wind up LED light.

Below are some pictures... If I am doing it right...

Edit - The LEDs got really hot, and was melting the hot glue around them (so pretty darn hot) and one burned out. I replaced it with 5 LEDs from my wind up flashlight, and with more power, the LEDs were brighter.

High intensity LEDs need a way to bleed off heat, which is why I'm thinking that using PVC isn't really a good idea. If you can get your hands on some copper or brass and then use some kind of thermal compound (preferablely not electrically conducting) to link them together, that would be much better. PVC insulates way too much. One unorthodox, but possibly cheaper method than thermal compound/glue uses paraffin oil surrounding the LED, but then you need to seal it so it doesn't make a mess.

readyg

Reaction score
I was checking those out the other day and was wondering how well they work... how long have you been using it?

Been using it around 6 months. Its affordable and effective. The only problem Ive had so far is that the rubber on top of the button has kind of slid off, but it still works just fine. I just slide it back into place.

WindWalker1970

Reaction score
I use these Mini-Maglites. They are small yet pretty powerful. I keep one in my utility bag on my belt. I recommend buying a bright colored one (red, blue, etc) so if you drop it in, it will be easier to find.

21e4hB7oSxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

UrbanNokizaru

Reaction score
Website
ninjabikeslut.tumblr.com
I have a wind up light and a medium sized LED that I got from the pharmacy. I used both dumpstering but the LED one is the best because I can hold it in my mouth while I use my hands, I'm not a big fan of headlamps I always keep my head bowed when I have one on to see in front of me.

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
May want to check out Home Depot. I don't know if all stores are doing it, but the one I work at (in orange county, ca) is selling little flashlights/lasers/headlight combos for cheap, like $7 i think. im going to pick one up tomorrow, they seem to be pretty good lights.

colorado

Reaction score
if you got the money get a shure fire brand come in all shapes and sizes can be used as a weapon because of brightness you cant see for a minute after words redicously bright very expenise but worth it waterproof drop resistant go to there web sight and read customer reviews

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
how bout putting a peice of red saran wrap or some kinda red transparent plastic

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
if you got the money get a shure fire brand come in all shapes and sizes can be used as a weapon because of brightness you cant see for a minute after words redicously bright very expenise but worth it waterproof drop resistant go to there web sight and read customer reviews

That is not a good idea, surefire makes tactical flashlights which are a bit too bright, since nearby objects glare will wash out far away objects, and you'll be seen for quite some distance, even with a red filter. Plus they are out of most peoples price range. If you're new at traveling, just get a minimaglite or something else everyone else recommended, they're pretty durable, not too pricey, and you can cover the head with your hand to control exactly how much light is coming out when you are being stealth.

Tactical may be fun, but it's typically not worth it, plus mini tactical lights usually use CR123 lithium batteries, which are not too common and usually pretty expensive.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads