First-timers: Hitching/hopping to CA from Chi. | Squat the Planet

First-timers: Hitching/hopping to CA from Chi.

Rebecca Alger

Reaction score
So a friend and I are looking to head west on foot/by train sometime mid-February from Chicago, but we don't have more than a few connections in the trainhopping/hitchhiking community - hence me being here; it'd be nice to establish some relationships with folks before we embark. AND this is our first run at this whole experience, so if anybody can offer up any helpful advice on routes/yards/shelter/etc., it would be beyond appreciated as neither of us are hip to the good stuff on the road.

Our plan at this point is to take a train out of Ann Arbor, MI to Chicago, plant it for a couple days with some friends, then make our way to St. Louis. Any ideas of where to leave from there and how we should go about doing so, please tell.

Also, what are your opinions on Couch Surfers and is it legit?

Redd Capp

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
My take would be BN Aurora Eola Yard N of IL 14 and Liberty in East Aurora. Its a General Freight Yard. I would not ride stacks in this weather. Other Option would be the MP(UP) yard "Yard Center" in Dolton IL. Trains head south to St. Louis.

K

Kim Chee

There might not be infrared cameras, but there are noob detectors on the perimeter of the yards (they look a lot like IR cameras).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRMInGhj1Ni_ZY0acM59lwUwHeY5ordDYJ8P1LVoFKJ1HOPLgYvQ.jpg

CdCase123

Reaction score
So a friend and I are looking to head west on foot/by train sometime mid-February from Chicago,
Do you plan on freezing to death or not? there are four major RR routes west from chicago. 3 of them are cold and one is not. I dont know anything about st louis or couch surfing. contrive some more specific questions and you will get more specific answers. good luck.

soapybum

Reaction score
Couchsurfing.org is legit and pretty useful. If you dont mind taking somewhat of a detour you could go south to nola and west from there. Google maps is a great tool, also google shit like "online railroad atlas" etc etc. There's an 06 version of a disorganized cc on piratebay which can be helpful. Uhh, check out the useful links subforum on here. Chicago will be flooded w/ ppl in may cuz the G8 so maybe wait till then to find someone w/ more experience to help you out?

Reactions: dysaster

Alaska

Reaction score
I can vouch for couchsurfing. It is 100% legit. I have surfed in many states and had people from all over the world come stay on my couch and only had good experiences. I like to camp but it's nice to have a couch lined up every couple of weeks. As for trains, half the fun is figuring it out. Don't be disappointed if you don't end up where you intended - because your first time you probably won't. Whatever city you end up in, enjoy it, and be glad knowing that you probably never would have visited the town otherwise.

This. Very much this.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads