First time Hitching was on cruches (1 Viewer)

AdroitNomad

Lurker
Current Location
Livermore,CA
The first time I hitched i was 17. I was in an accident and told I would never walk again. You don't tell a teen they can't do something. As soon as I was out of the hospital I grabbed my crutches and hit the road. From Napa to Portland, main. I got a lot of rides from a lot of people but what I remember most is a ride from a woman named angel in a red Camero. She took me 200 miles passed where she needed to go. I had been walking across Montana for 2 days before she arrived. I had learned something though. You can "will" your body to endure anything.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
Maybe there is something with being 17 and hitching on crutches, and, in my case, a full leg cast.

I had dislocated my knee very badly, and had to hitch from northeast Connecticut to Princeton, NJ, to see my GF who was in the middle of a big crisis. Her parents hated me, so after we talked for a bit, i went to find a place to sleep, planning to meet up and hang after her parents went to work in the morning. I crashed out in a dry ditch wrapped up in a tarp.

I woke up at dawn to find about a million ants had moved into my cast as a i slept. I do not recommend this. The itching, and the general "there are fucking bugs crawling on me!" skeeve, were fucking horrible.

A looooong, hot shower, after the GF's parents finally went to work, flushed the little bastards out. A very long couple hours that i remember very vividly 43 years later.

roughdraft

RápidoCorrenLosCarrosRespletoLosRielesDFerrocarril
Current Location
USA
strong lesson fam, well written, thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$7.77
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $7.77 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $7.77 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $7.77 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $7.77 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

So fucking cold. Fuck. Florida aint this fuckin cold.
Should I trash pick some more chick fil A codes for free sandwiches?! I already trash picked 1 so far...
interesting. the first place itself seems worth a trip. lol i don't think they get much traveling folk... and #5 silent hill anybody know where that is? the video discreetly avoids saying the location and i want to know. i watched the rest of the video and nothing else looks of interest to me
i need some good you tuber train riders to watch... i have a few like ranoutonarail a few others... who else is good?
I'm still looking at Omaha, but if things don't work out, I hope over to Iowa.
Lost and done with cincyshit is worthless
Bored out of my mind.
how does one get his hands on a time table? rail fans seem to have them, so i should be able to get one... i want one...
gotta go watch this dailey... back in a while...
Reminder: Friday night on Coast to Coast am radio show: Haunted Trains!
Friday - Haunted Trains / Open Lines
Matthew Swayne