Few days in Alaska | Squat the Planet

Few days in Alaska

Hudson

Reaction score
Anyone have any advice doe neat stuff to see? Its my birthday and girlfriend got us tickets to go to the last state I haven't visited yet, Alaska.

I think we are primarily going to be around Denali and Talkeetna.

Any good suggestions for things to see in Anchorage or Fairbanks or anything? I plan on returning in a year or two and looking for a small piece of land in Homer I'm hoping.

• Love It
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Django

Reaction score
I was always excited about hiking the stampade trail to the "magic bus" from the story if into the wild.
Another thing is trying to reach to the northmodt point, or maybe north west and wave to Russia. Hella exciting

Otherwise, Denali is large enough to spend a few lifetimes.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
  • Useful

MFB

Reaction score
Dont know much about the extent of the fire, but Denali Denali Denali! If ya can. Wonder lake and Polychrome, Cathedral, all highly recommended stops. If youre in the glitter gulch area, and dont have time to go into the park, Sugarloaf and Mnt Healy great climb/hikes w views for days!

Talkeetna is a cool lil town, but not a ton to do. Convergence of 3 big old rivers and and jumping point for a lot of climbers. I'd skip it if pressed for time.

Fairbanks is meh. In my opinion. I splurged for the Chino hot springs and would say skip that too.

If you fly into ANC, I highly suggest hitching down to Seward. The drive is amazing, Seward is one of my favorite places ever. Kayak on Resurrection Bay. Climb Mnt Marathon for epic views. Exit Glacier and Harding icefield. All breathtaking. Lots of cool old army bunkers and tunnels up in the mountains to explore. And I remember eating at free breakfast buffets of the hotels all week in Seward! Whittier is a trip too. Very odd place.

Also if time permits, hitch up to Prudhoe Bay. Or at least Coldfoot. Its really a different world up that high.

Hitching is the best, never waited more than 30 mins for a ride in over 4 months.

In conclusion. I thought AK was amaaaaazing. Youll have a blast.

MFB

Reaction score
Oooh, look into Kesugi Ridge too. Phenomenal 2-3 day hike.

Hudson

Reaction score
Found out I can't really do this bonehead tourist thing again. The girlfriend is all about it and she almost fucked the idea of Alaska up in my head.

I've always been about the journey not the destination and with only two days here what a mess. Spend more time on a plane then on the land kinda thing.

I'll be heading back next year for a few months I think in the spring. It's just a matter of finding supplies is the only thing I see being a problem.

MFB

Reaction score
Shooot. 2 days?!?! Such a tease!

Shoulda just gone to Sequoia or Yosemite, something closer.

Why would finding supplies be an issue? 🤷

Hudson

Reaction score
Other than it being two days we had a great time. Took a boat up the Sitka and got to fly in a tour plane over Denali. Was smokey as all hell but definetly a once in a lifetime experience.

I imagine finding food supplies would be a pain carrying everything on my back.

MFB

Reaction score
Damn, y'all gots some moneys!!
Did y'all get to land on Muldrow glacier?

If you stayed up and down the Daulton Hwy or explored the SE peninsula I cant imagine it being too hard to find what you need. I have no experience w western AK or the bush, but I imagine that's where ya might starve.

Hudson

Reaction score
Nah not that much money she got us free tickets from alaska air lines credit card and i had savings I saved from quitting smoking and drinking for about 3 months. I wanted to see the mountain so we splurged at the last minute for the tour plane.

Definetly have to come back for an extended visit though.

• Epic

MFB

Reaction score
Gotta do it.
Being up in northern AK during the solstice is one of the most magical things Ive experienced!

• Love It

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads