Feel Like My Pack Is Too Small | Squat the Planet

Feel Like My Pack Is Too Small

pepopple

Reaction score
Get you mind out of the gutter. I said my PACK is too small. And you were about to tell me to buy some Extenz.

Seriously though... getting ready to leave I wrote out my packing list, checked it twice, rechecked it against posts on here to see what I was forgetting, then got down to business putting it together.

I've got a Jansport and a fancy midsized pack that my late fiance traveled with. I just assumed that I'd be using the latter of the two. But once I started getting everything stowed I realized that most of it is either worn, worn on my belt, strapped on, etc. So what I had left I was able to fit in the small Jansport. Even have room in it for my water bladder and a couple days worth of food (which isn't in there yet).

So I'm wondering, am I underpacking? I see others hauling around these huge packs and I'm thinking I might be shorting myself.

And this is only mildy off topic but I was wondering your opinion on this. In considering a spare shirt to bring I've got it narrowed down to a couple, which either one I hope could be of some financial benefit. I've got an Iraq Veteran shirt... ya know... with the ribbons on it like you see a lot of Nam vets wearing, and I've got an Iraq Veterans Against the War shirt. I'm wondering which one might have the average citizen dig a little deeper?

uncivilize

Reaction score
Most people overpack, don't judge your gear by others. Get out there, see what you actually need, I guarantee you'll be dumping some of the stuff you brought, and picking up some things you didn't think of. Compact, light, fast is the way to go.

Reactions: pepopple

pepopple

Reaction score
It would help us out a lot if you told us your pack list.

Oh right on... I just didn't because I feel like the place is saturated enough with the same old lists in different order. Just mainly wondering if anybody else gets it as condensed as I've got it. But since you asked...

WORN
hat
t-shirt
ACU pants
desert boots
medic bag
pack
belt
fixed blade
leatherman
headlamp
bandana
canteen

IN MEDIC BAG
comp book
sharpies (2)
pens (5)
lighters (3)
pen light
box cutter
pipe / tobacco
can opener
sewing kit
tooth brush
tooth paste
razors (3)
shaving cream
fork
spoon
flask
batteries (in a sock... for double duty)
book light
deoderant
soap

IN PACK
socks (8pr)
hoodie
fleece
2 t-shirts
water bladder
shorts
t-shirts (2)
raincoat
gum blanket
small first aide kit
baby powder

ATTACHED TO PACK
small pot
0 degree bag
gloves
flash light

There are a few other things I know I'll be adding... bags, duct tape, a book or two... but nothing I can see upgrading to a bigger, much heavier pack.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
your good to go....like dude said, once you get out there you can switch shit up to suit your tastes....i always fall victim to finding cool things in dumpsters and packin em around ....but yeah thats a good list....maybe think about strappin up a 8x10 tarp to lay on or string up over you for shelter(which case some twine or string is good to have)...road atlas is a must have(for me).....good call thinkin about the baby powder, i use the foot powder from dollar tree cuz it has a crapload of menthol...minty fresh

pepopple

Reaction score
Thanks Bryan. The gum blanket is actually kind like a tarp. It's the 150 year old rubber version of a tarp like they used in the Civil War. A little smaller but super durable. Imagine a blanket made out a a tire. And I'm not a fan of the menthol stuff. I'd end up getting drunk and putting it on my balls and THAT SUCKS.

uncivilize

Reaction score
That looks like a good list, even organized well. Didn't see you list any cordage or a tarp, depends on where/when you'll be traveling I guess. I like those poncho tarps, got your rain gear and shelter all in one. You could probably drop most of the socks, they're easy enough to wash in a bathroom sink somewhere, and at least one change of underwear is good, unless you're going commando. The flashlight may be redundant with the headlamp, though I know some people who feel the need to have multiple light sources. I think you've got the right idea, more than good enough to start, get out there and see how it goes! When you're traveling you'll find alot of those kids with huge packs have them full of unnecessary crap (and never use their hip belts, likely ending up hunched over old people, if they even live that long) and aren't geared as well as you are.

Safe travels!

bryanpaul

Reaction score
And I'm not a fan of the menthol stuff. I'd end up getting drunk and putting it on my balls and THAT SUCKS.
NAH DOOD....that's why i like the menthol stuff ...WOO WEEE.... feel the burn!

cnevs

Reaction score
if your going to carry around 2 packs you would be better served by one 80 liter bag if you could get one i dont think you'll regret it

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Sounds like you're pretty all set. When I pack it these days I carry socks, sleeping bag, tarp, few days food, rail atlas and an extra hoodie. People tend to carry waaayyyy too much gear. If you can keep you gear compact enough that it all fits in a small pack I say great! I love rolling into a town with a pack small enough that people can't immediately tell if I'm a traveler or just a college kid who doesn't shower much. Makes life a lot easier.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads