Fed crackdowns @ rainbow gatherings | Squat the Planet

Fed crackdowns @ rainbow gatherings

germanbini

Reaction score
So as has become "business as usual," LEO have been very active at this year's Rainbow Gathering, looking to arrest some folks for possession of marijuana and other drugs and drug paraphernalia.

An article online at CannibisNow indicates that this year's Burning Man festival will have similar and possibly even tougher crackdowns.

Legal cannabis sales in Nevada are set to start this July, but the Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Land Management will be showing no love to the state’s new cannabis users: A microscopic 10 nanograms of cannabis per milliliter of urine (or 2 ng/ml of blood) will get you popped if you’re behind the wheel, according to a statement in today’s Federal Register.

Law enforcement will conduct the tests at their own discretion, but also at BLM’s request, based on guidelines listed in today’s announcement. Erratic driving or possession of anything falling under the notoriously broad category of “drug paraphernalia” appear to be the chief “red flags” that will initiate these encounters.

What’s more ludicrous than leaving your rolling papers in plain sight, ultimately forcing you to pee in a cup? The state’s standard for how much pot you can have in your system: A nanogram is a billionth of a gram — most of the smallest edibles in California have about two milligrams of THC in them. If 1 percent of that remains in your system when you’re behind the wheel, it’ll be considered a DUI. And anyone who smokes a joint the second half of that week will likely fail with such a low testing threshold, high or not.

Since Slab City is technically BLM land, I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if those same folks showed up for the Jamboree. :(

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
It sucks that cops are trying to bust people for something like possession at Burning Man and Rainbow but I don't see this happening at the Jamboree. As far as I could tell, law enforcement was pretty scarce in the Slabs and didn't seem to be actively looking to bust people. Plus the Jamboree is pretty small-scale (less than 50 folks) so it's not like Rainbow where thousands of people are convening in one place. In short, I'm not too concerned about this happening at the Jamboree. :)

coolrayfruge

Reaction score
That is one Government agency they should get rid of. Instead of cutting funding to Healthcare, education and other programs that actually help people. In Apple Valley they're arresting people who are living off Grid . Using building code violations to arrest and stop them living independently, freely. Saying you can own your land . You just can't build on it.
It sucks that cops are trying to bust people for something like possession at Burning Man and Rainbow but I don't see this happening at the Jamboree. As far as I could tell, law enforcement was pretty scarce in the Slabs and didn't seem to be actively looking to bust people. Plus the Jamboree is pretty small-scale (less than 50 folks) so it's not like Rainbow where thousands of people are convening in one place. In short, I'm not too concerned about this happening at the Jamboree. :)
Same as it ever was , Same as it ever was!

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

gnossos

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm automatically protective over my beloved, lesser-known communities like Rainbow and the like, so my first response reading the OP was defensive. However, when I stop and think about it, if Fam keeps doing shit like they did to fuck up the Ocala gathering a couple years or so back... Idk...

I'm hazy on the details, but I remember reading about some incident that if I remember correctly, effectively Xed the Ocala National Forest as a gathering spot. Something about someone getting killed over a fucking SMART PHONE! I almost cried when I read that shit, sucks losing faith in the last little bit of humanity I still had any faith in. :/

Anyone else hear about that shit? From what I recall, one dude was being douchey about someone having a smart phone at a gathering and I guess the one douchey dude threw that person's phone in a fucking bonfire. Somehow that escalated into a death, I believe the person who's phone was thrown in the fire shot the person who threw it? I really should, Idk, maybe Google the shit instead of just trying to tell the story secondhand. lol.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
this thread doesn't really have anything to do with the jamboree, so i'm moving it to the events area.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Isn't Slab City state trust land, and therefore under the state police jurisdiction and not BLM? The slabs would have been gone a longtime ago if it was federal land.

BLM should have no jurisdiction there, and federal law still trumps state, but it is rare to see Marijuana law enforced in california. DUI Isa different story though. BTW, Marijuana is now legal in the state of california.

Reactions: Odin

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
Fucking A... Thanks @Hawthorn for sending me this.
This is
Screenshot_2017-08-03-21-16-26.png
@Dragononn and I. Fucking assholes with cameras

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Odin and Coywolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads