Farming & ranching the Slabs

P

Pheonix

the only tanks left are the two painted tanks that i linked you pictures to. they're about 14 feet high, so it's hard to get in them. if you built a ladder to go over so you could get in and out you'd be set. no one's ever taken the time to do that, so you could totally claim one if you wanted, and as long as you didn't fuck up the murals on the outside, i doubt anyone would bother you about it, they'd just think you were crazy for wanting to live somewhere in the desert without a roof. the insides have virtually no graffitti at all, and have concrete floors too.

Yes, I'm all ready designing something in my head. The concrete floors provide easy clean up the chickens will need some sort of bedding/litter on the ground witch will all have to be scooped up and replaced frequently. The chicken bedding and crap is good fertilizer, but there needs to be a way to safely and easily haul in and haul out supplies without ruining the art on the walls. I'm thinking of building some sort of tower next to the tank with a bridge going over to the roof of the tank. The roof should be designed in a way to keep the inside in the shade at all times. The outside should stay in the shade at all times too in an effort to keep the sun from heating the concrete any more then it already is. From the satellite image it looks like there's still supporting studs for a roof just no cross beams. Pulley lift systems can be placed on the tower and inside the tank for loading and unloading supplies. The concrete floors are good snake prevention too.

Rabbits wont be able to handle the heat (except underground). Even with ample shade/water the heat will have them dropping like flies. Maybe there is a "heat resistant" variety?

this is the type of rabbit I was gonna look into
http://www.caller.com/news/2008/mar/14/ag_column/

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Hey phoenix, I am just checking in right now, but send me an email about this... I have been considering this for many years, and have spent a lot of time in the slabs in the past. There was a guy out there a few years ago with some donkeys, and he was farming algae, worked fine for him...
Anyways, I could tell you my thoughts and plans of where/what to do, just not right now... hit me up @
kylemfwelch@spaz.org
Briefly, consider these things:
THe soil is terrible wasteland shit. THere is however a lot of huge cattle industry places around, and even within walking distace of the slabs, a catfish farm. Im sure getting a large amount of shit would just take the effort, and asking.
once you get your soil conditioned, consider the watering issue, do a little research on moorish irrigation, I waas working with it all last year in my garden in andalucia, it works great. It is a lot of work, but all you need is a shovel, a water source (consider getting the water quality of the hotsprings tested, as pulling of the canal will get you busted in no time...), and a shange in elevation...
water towers, boreholes, and solar pumps are another option, but its gonna take a hell of a lot of money...
Anyway, hit me up, and I will briefly explain my idea to you. I have been farming my whole life more or less, and traveling and working on farms in more than 20 countries, lots of climates... I know a bit about how to make these things happen.
'Keep it up though man, great idea, I wish I was there to manifest it, but the farm I am on in portugal is too nice to leave right now ;)

P

Pheonix

Cardboard, I don't check my email very often so it would be better for me if we PMed though this site. I was thinking of buying water from water boy since it's easy and fair priced, but a water tower would be a great project and I'm definitely interested in hearing more about that.
I had the crappy wasteland soil problem in Oklahoma too. Potatoes and peanuts do well in high sand soils. The environment of Oklahoma was brutal on my crops and it made me switch my focus from farming to ranching. I don't know if I'm better with animals then I am with plants or if the OK weather is, but I'd like to keep my focus on ranching. I hope someone else would like to take the farming initiative as this will have to be a group effort to establish a well organized farming & ranching community.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
oh, and on a side note, there's a very decent hardware store about 10-15 miles away in brawley. good for buying soil, tools, or whatever.

P

Pheonix

Actually I'm thinking about getting a 12 foot scaffolding with wheels to make building easier and since it's a concrete floor inside we can wheel it around inside the tank to help in building a roof of some sorts. It's a good thing I came back to my idea of farming the slabs since I was about to throw all my chicken & rabbit gear away since no one on craigslist wants to buy it.

Also wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting this farm set-up as a non-profit charity so that I could ask farmers and other people to donate supplies and it would be tax deductible for them. I think we could get a lot of supplies if we were a non-profit. Any ideas or opinions of having this farm a non-profit charity?

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
concerning the waterboy... 100 gallons isnt going to do shit for a garden. maybe wet the topsoil for 15 minutes untill the wind an sun takes it away. Really better off trying to either have a vehicle, and making trips with 1-2 pallet tanks minimum, a solar pump and a water tower, or pulling from the hot springs or canal (the canal will get you busted fast though...)
Concerning the rabbits, maybe you can find domesticated hares? there isnt much for wild rabbit out there, but there are hares like crazy. and the meat is nicer in my opinion. Take care for protein poisoning and worms with these kinds of animals.
Out in the slabs, if you had a good grazing area built, you could handle some goats, some donkeys, maybe a llama/alpaca, but not so much more without massive cost.
Free foods include grapefruits and occasionally other citrus from the nearby orchards, catfish if you go ask the workers for some, and the other things people mentioned.
I would not consider building much on top of the tanks (as a roof). glass would make too much heat, and if you need shade, rather use plants.

K

Kim Chee

Also wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting this farm set-up as a non-profit charity so that I could ask farmers and other people to donate supplies and it would be tax deductible for them. I think we could get a lot of supplies if we were a non-profit. Any ideas or opinions of having this farm a non-profit charity?

If you are willing to go through that much trouble, maybe consider writing/applying for a grant.

P

Pheonix

If you are willing to go through that much trouble, maybe consider writing/applying for a grant.

I don't want the government's money, but if the people that donate to the farm do then I want them to have a tax write off.

concerning the waterboy... 100 gallons isnt going to do shit for a garden. maybe wet the topsoil for 15 minutes untill the wind an sun takes it away. Really better off trying to either have a vehicle, and making trips with 1-2 pallet tanks minimum, a solar pump and a water tower, or pulling from the hot springs or canal (the canal will get you busted fast though...)
Concerning the rabbits, maybe you can find domesticated hares? there isnt much for wild rabbit out there, but there are hares like crazy. and the meat is nicer in my opinion. Take care for protein poisoning and worms with these kinds of animals.
Out in the slabs, if you had a good grazing area built, you could handle some goats, some donkeys, maybe a llama/alpaca, but not so much more without massive cost.
Free foods include grapefruits and occasionally other citrus from the nearby orchards, catfish if you go ask the workers for some, and the other things people mentioned.
I would not consider building much on top of the tanks (as a roof). glass would make too much heat, and if you need shade, rather use plants.

Would I only be able to get 1 tank from Waterboy? I was actually hoping for 2 or 3 tanks that would get refilled as needed.
I want a mutated inbred hairless rabbit that has been bred by a university in Texas to be used to help feed people in hot desert lands. I think due to the humanitarian efforts of the professor if we were a non-profit charity feeding homeless Americans in a hot desert region then the professor might be more willing to let us get some of his rabbits.
I was wondering about building a roof around solar panels but a living roof would be amazing. Maybe we could incorporate both into the design of the roof. I wasn't even thinking of using glass as a roof, that is a bad idea.

uncivilize

Reaction score
How close to the washes are you? Could you build some high capacity swales, divert water from the washes when the floods come through, and let it soak into the ground (one of the best places to store water for trees). Use a shit load of organic material to mulch the berms, which will be fertilizer, provide habitat for microorganisms, protect the soil from evaporation. plant some mesquite, deep taproots that help with deeper soil saturation, and they fix nitrogen right out of the air, plant date palms, which would eventually be a great canopy layer, providing shade, cooling the immediate area a bit, wind block, more evaporative protection, etc. Pomegranates, figs, citrus eventually. Goats, pigeons.

Geoff Lawton's "greening the desert" stuff goes way more in depth than just what you see in the videos. They use plants that will actually bring the salt out of the soil, lock it up, bring animals through to graze it, add a bunch of organic material, plant less salt tolerant plants. That is a gross oversimplification, but he's doing some cool shit in the dead sea valley of Jordan, which is one of the hottest, driest places in the world.

Reactions: Psi em

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Would I only be able to get 1 tank from Waterboy? I was actually hoping for 2 or 3 tanks that would get refilled as needed.

you can get as many tanks from waterboy as you're willing to pay for. i think it's like 65 bucks a barrel (which includes the stand).

also, i would recommend going to slab city and feeling out the situation and your ideas with the local community before you go investing a lot of money or materials into the project.

P

Pheonix

also, i would recommend going to slab city and feeling out the situation and your ideas with the local community before you go investing a lot of money or materials into the project.

I understand what your saying and I agree, however this time of year ain't the best time to visit the slabs. I'm wanting to start this project in the fall when it starts to cool down. I guess writing to the EJ site about my project would be a great start. I'm not hauling material around the country (except for what I already got) but I'm gonna hustle all summer long so I'll have the funds for the material. When I get there and if the community doesn't want me to do what I want to do then I will have the cash to go somewhere else and do what I want to do.

Once again, great idea but I'm not going out there for the first time in the summer.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i understand, i just think you're presuming a lot based on what you've been told on the internet, and you might find it much different in person. example:

I guess writing to the EJ site about my project would be a great start.

I don't think you realize that while EJ is inside the slab city area, they are of the general attitude that they are not a part of "the slabs" and don't really interact all that much with them (for better or worse), and won't really have an opinion about what you want to do with the tanks. they will also consider you to be another "big talker" on the internet, since they get a lot of those types (especially after i designed the website for them) contacting them all the time. once you get there and start doing it, EJ will take you seriously.

But most importantly, you're going to want to see what the slab community (i.e. everyone but EJ) is going to think about an occupation of the tanks. i don't think they'll have a problem with it, but it's not something you'll be able to breach with them over the internet, it'll have to be done in person.

and in the end, if an occupation of the tanks upsets the slabbers that much, there is PLENTY of other space in slab city to do what you want to do.

not trying to criticize of course, just trying to provide some constructive advice :)

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
"I don't think you realize that while EJ is inside the slab city area, they are of the general attitude that they are not a part of "the slabs" and don't really interact all that much with them (for better or worse), and won't really have an opinion about what you want to do with the tanks. they will also consider you to be another "big talker" on the internet, since they get a lot of those types (especially after i designed the website for them) contacting them all the time. once you get there and start doing it, EJ will take you seriously."

There is no single person in charge of the slabs its best to go and talk to different people out there and just do your thing regardless. EJ has its own thing going on and will not be much help to anyone not within their claimed area (You mushroom stamped that sites ass Matt while yelling ART in its face)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
Pheonix ~

Please see my post on MI farmin'; i've seen your posts 'round here, and you seem like an awesome, knowledgeable person. With MOST places, not just AZ/southern CA, water will be in short, short supply in a very short while. I don't know if creating a 'farm' out in the desert is really... foreseeable. Anyways. Best of luck, keep up da good fight. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads