ECWS Bivy Bag | Squat the Planet

ECWS Bivy Bag

E

Endy

If you're prior service you're probably familiar with these. They contain multiple bags and when used together (along with a wool hat and some good socks) are rated -30 degrees F. You can also split them apart to use in warmer weather. The outer shell is woodland camo gore-tex which is great for repelling water and remaining breathable (as long as you keep it clean). If you can find one of these on the cheap or semi-cheap it's a worthwhile purchase as you will have it for years and years and years. They can be kind of expensive for the entire system ($150ish). Highly recommended though.

D

Deleted member 20

:rolleyes:We have many post & threads about these already?? Instead of re-suggesting it to us perhaps you can search first & just add a support style post in favor, give tips or mention how you have learned about a newer better piece of gear..

E

Endy

They are heavy but if you are traveling in cold climates it's invaluable. I'm anal about weight but I gladly carry it simply because if I am caught out someplace it could mean the difference between life and death. Then again I spend a lot of time in the woods.

D

Deleted member 20

It depends on where you are & what the weather is like. It is fucking huge & think they are 12lbs total & really bulky with the volume of material in all 3 pieces. The compression sack is a joke too. If you can find or afford or want to carry the whole system then just getting a goretex bivy is a good start & using any sleeping bag. They run between $20-$40 on craigslist. I use the patrol & bivy in the summer & its great.

iSTEVEi

Reaction score
Yeah good call on that... may just get a bivy and a 3 season bag.
Mainly be for PNW/UK-esque winter weather, and leaving for warmer climes before the really cold stuff hits.

D

Deleted member 20

If you can buy a whole system cheap enough hen go for it but I have bought/sold each of the pieces both in the black market & on craigslist

It's still bulky with the compression sack like highwayman said. During spring / summer / fall the patrol bag is more than enough with the gore-tex shell. I can second that. I've used the shell with a coleman 20 degree bag as well and it worked just fine. The shell could be used as a tarp of sorts but there are no grommets or eyelets for cordage.

D

Deleted member 20

I have even used just the shell in upstate ny during the late summer/early fall & was really cold but it kept the bugs & dew off me.

Nola Nick

Reaction score
Have the 2 bags and they have been great. I agree, they are huge and a bit heavy. For warm weather the patrol and bivy and or tarp are ideal. I'm trying to get a hold of one of the newer brown military bivy bags.

Attachments

• Nick !-80 NV. Sleep Spot.jpg
    Nick !-80 NV. Sleep Spot.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads