ECWS Bivy Bag (1 Viewer)

E

Endy

I deleted myself
If you're prior service you're probably familiar with these. They contain multiple bags and when used together (along with a wool hat and some good socks) are rated -30 degrees F. You can also split them apart to use in warmer weather. The outer shell is woodland camo gore-tex which is great for repelling water and remaining breathable (as long as you keep it clean). If you can find one of these on the cheap or semi-cheap it's a worthwhile purchase as you will have it for years and years and years. They can be kind of expensive for the entire system ($150ish). Highly recommended though.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
:rolleyes:We have many post & threads about these already?? Instead of re-suggesting it to us perhaps you can search first & just add a support style post in favor, give tips or mention how you have learned about a newer better piece of gear..

sketchytravis

Current Location
buffalo new york
Website
www.facebook.com
I was actually looking into them a while back, considering getting one soon... idk if the weight of the whole things gunna keep me away, they're like 10 or more pounds if i remember right

OP
E

Endy

I deleted myself
They are heavy but if you are traveling in cold climates it's invaluable. I'm anal about weight but I gladly carry it simply because if I am caught out someplace it could mean the difference between life and death. Then again I spend a lot of time in the woods.

iSTEVEi

Current Location
Wolverhampton
considering getting one. Just wondering...
what size does it pack down to?
and how is it with just the outer shell and the patrol bag?

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
It depends on where you are & what the weather is like. It is fucking huge & think they are 12lbs total & really bulky with the volume of material in all 3 pieces. The compression sack is a joke too. If you can find or afford or want to carry the whole system then just getting a goretex bivy is a good start & using any sleeping bag. They run between $20-$40 on craigslist. I use the patrol & bivy in the summer & its great.

iSTEVEi

Current Location
Wolverhampton
Yeah good call on that... may just get a bivy and a 3 season bag.
Mainly be for PNW/UK-esque winter weather, and leaving for warmer climes before the really cold stuff hits.

OP
E

Endy

I deleted myself
It's still bulky with the compression sack like highwayman said. During spring / summer / fall the patrol bag is more than enough with the gore-tex shell. I can second that. I've used the shell with a coleman 20 degree bag as well and it worked just fine. The shell could be used as a tarp of sorts but there are no grommets or eyelets for cordage.

Nola Nick

Lurker
Current Location
adrift
Have the 2 bags and they have been great. I agree, they are huge and a bit heavy. For warm weather the patrol and bivy and or tarp are ideal. I'm trying to get a hold of one of the newer brown military bivy bags.

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

croc wrote on bowldog's profile.
Love ur profile pic. She looks so sultry peeking thru the trees
dumpsternavel wrote on Rhubarb Dwyer's profile.
So clevar
The only good part about the ER is the BE that comes before-hand! :p
forgot how fast people'll throw the first blow in the street
got complacent having only sparred with friends recently.
was socked in the head,
only managed to block the second blow or so
before being knocked to the ground

(to be fair, knocking us off our feet isn't hard when we require a cane or smth to support ourselves most days)
Currently in Louisiana , I'm off the road. Had Hep C an liver cancer. Don't ever forget to be free from the man you have to leave it all behind, each an every time.
Still....in Jax if any kids about
Stuck on paper in idaho, missing the woods and my DK fam
I've made some layout adjustments to featured content threads. They should look much prettier on mobile devices, although I'm still working on how the main featured page displays on those devices...
Due to a software bug, I've had to disable the ability for users to delete their accounts until a fix is released (hopefully no more than a few days).
You ever look back and kind of wonder even if you wanted to try to fix things... How you even begin to apologise for Fucking up someone's life??

Members online