ecology-interested weird human seeking others

skypeace

Reaction score
hi everybody! I occasionally read stuff on here, mostly the free book PDFs and good life stories and stuff, everybody here seems really cool but I never really post much so just doing that so I have something on here.

me: mixed-race, gender-queer, late-20s-aged human being on the east coast U.S., into ecology and guerilla plant activities, know I want to travel around and pick up more ecology knowledge and maybe migrate some plants around as a climate change adaptation thing, though I don't have any experience with the traveling life to date. Also into art and music and books/writing just like almost any other human being with a soul, i'm usually doing other stuff than those things, but still. I also spend free time sewing and I am decent at cooking.

currently living with a couple housemates, doing all the stuff I mentioned above in my spare time, doing a tedious job i've gotten good and sick of, feeling a strong compulsion to be in different places and see what else life can be in the not-too-far-off future.

looking for: whatever comes along. other people interested in ecology and climate adaptation maybe?

trippyj

Reaction score
Another ecology nerd! Great to see it.

Agreed on the climate change situation. Lots of bird and butterfly migratory patterns are being disrupted by not only climate change but the greed of giant companies. Tons of solidago speciosa and lobelia cardinalis are getting wiped out for bs corporate factories. Luckily the solidagos don’t give a damn and grow throughout abandoned parking lots. A couple seed bombs here and there (im thinking asclepia tuberosa, such a great plant) should give them a tiny boost at the very least.

Before my brain gets fried i’ma slow down lol. Learned alot from these guys already, real cool community. Glad you’re here!

Last edited:
Reactions: sevedemanos

Lynora

Reaction score
Hi and welcome. Fellow ecology enthusiast here as well. Do you have any favorite books in that realm? I'm usually northeast based, though I do the sort of nomadic worker thing, so where exactly I am varies. Dunno what your level of interest in travel is, but I gotta say it's worth checking out the Conservation Job Board and Texas A & M has a natural resources job board too. Not all of the jobs align with my values, but as someone with only a high school education, I was about to find a cool temp job that does this winter. It houses me and pays 20/hr to basically walk in the woods every day. I'm always looking for more pen pals/like minded friends. Feel free to reach out if that's something you'd want.

Reactions: sevedemanos

plantgirl0214

Reaction score
Fellow ecologist here! I'm currently Midwest based but always open to moving and traveling wherever calls. (long history of seasonal work since college) I've recently been getting into the idea of guerilla plant activities, though mainly seed bombing, to help more prairie habitats around here. Love to share stories from my field jobs and always excited to talk about books (on nature/traveling or not). Feel free to reach out if you want!

Additionally, another great place to look for jobs is through the ECOLOG job board, constantly posting research jobs and seasonal jobs depending on what fits your fancy.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
very cool. welcome.

if i had stayed in college both ecology and anthropology wouldve been my primary interests.

lots of farm work / gardening / some grafting experience (which isnt quite the same thing, but) and i always wish id stayed in college so i could work outdoors more — logging or firefighting.

book recs would be awesome

not ecology exactly, but one of my favorite ever was this by bateson. anthropology mostly, but beautifully put and enjoyable.

cheers

Attachments

• 74389287-2D5F-4260-958A-FA94BFDD4F2B.jpeg
    74389287-2D5F-4260-958A-FA94BFDD4F2B.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 17

C0ffeeCat

"Divided we take our anti-depressants."
Reaction score
On the edge of the midwest in Ohio here. I wouldn't say I'm an ecology nerd, In truth all I really know is that the climate collapse is just another nail in the coffin that the system is hammering in for us, but I do enjoy being in nature and I'm interested in learning more about the specifics, and more still, finding ways to resist the climate catastrophe. Gonna be on the road for a year, so I'll be leaving in a month or two, and I wanna make my time on the road worth it both in learning skills, and trying to make the world a better place. I've always wanted to learn farming and gardening, toyed with the idea of seed bombing, and even considered aiming to become a forest ranger.

And honestly, I didn't even know there were jobs doing anything related to this stuff without a serious degree either. Gonna check that out..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads